NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Mar 22, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #3,706 of 4,971
SN#760 here. Ringing has only ever occurred for the first 15 seconds after turn on and when plugging in phones. Since I leave my main phones plugged in most of the time, ringing has never been much of an issue for me.

Mar 23, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #3,707 of 4,971
#000671 here, the ringing became apparent when the tubes got erect, tried sticking them back on the board to no avail, even tried to gently bent the leads... I just left it as is, and try to be as still as possible when listening...

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #3,708 of 4,971
  Currently, I'm hearing ringing when I even touch the volume pot, and often just when I move in such a way that jostles the headphone wire. I'd read about the tubes coming off the foam during shipping, so I checked that, and both seem to be fairly firmly planted on the foam, but I gave them a gentle pressing anyway, and the ringing is still pretty strong and long-lasting. Is it time to contact Schiit about a replacement, or should this ringing lessen with burn-in?

I contacted Schiit about the ringing, asking if this was within the acceptable range. The first response was that, if it dies out in thirty seconds, it's acceptable. I responded by saying that, well, it's still faint but present from 30 to about 40 seconds, but the more pressing concern is that if I move the headphones a little or the cord at all, it rings. If it's acceptable, it feel like it's on the outer limit of acceptable. They immediately offered to swap it, "just to be safe." I put it back in the original box and dropped it at a FedEx location.

Three or four days later the replacement arrived and it is a SIGNIFICANT improvement. I'm pretty sure I could do a jumping jack with the headphones on and not have any trouble. The volume pot only rings when I unexpectedly hit either the high or low limit (that is, with a bit of momentum behind the twist), and tapping on or around the unit doesn't trigger anything. I was even able to plug the headphones in gently when doing some A/Bing with another headphone amp last night and only trigger ~5 seconds of ringing. With the first one, plugging in, no matter how gently, gave me extended ringing.

So props to Schiit, for fast customer service and for taking my word!

Mar 30, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #3,712 of 4,971
Just bend the leads to the tube gently so that it's perpendicular to the board and then push them down again

Apr 5, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #3,714 of 4,971
Hi All. I'm new here to the forum, a long time lurker though. I just ordered a Vali and am looking forward to it. As a long time Guitarist and Builder of Guitar amps, I'd like to give a Little insight as to a possible cure for this "Tube Erection" problem that some of you are experiencing. Has anyone tried pushing down the tubes onto the pads, holding them in place with a light Clamp or tape and then apply a Little High temperature Silicone sealant on the underside of the tube tip or body and Chassis? I think once dried it would securely and safely hold the Tubes down more or less permanently. It works well in guitar amp applications. Hope this helps.

beerchug.gif
TwinACStacks

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #3,715 of 4,971
Had my vali # 000356 for almost 3 months now and I love it.  Ringing is a non-issue, since it is only audible for about 5 seconds when i turn it on and I leave my HE-400's plugged in.  I have the vali set at 12 o'clock and use my comp to adjust volume and it gets too loud by the time i get to about 50 out of 100 on my computer volume.  Seems to drive my 400s very well.

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #3,717 of 4,971
are all digital to analog converters the same quality? I need one to connect my TV to my Vali amp 

they are going on ebay for cheap 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Toslink-Signal-to-Analog-Audio-Converter-Adapter-RCA-L-R-/321372047437

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #3,719 of 4,971
Cheapest option is Fiio D3 at $32, assuming you're using optical out on your TV. If you're not using the TV for music (but for movies or gaming or anything with a visual presence), I'd say the D3 is fine. You're not gonna be able differentiate the subtle nuances of DAC when most of your attention is focused visually.

http://www.amazon.com/D3-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B005K2TXMO

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #3,720 of 4,971
  Cheapest option is Fiio D3 at $32, assuming you're using optical out on your TV. If you're not using the TV for music (but for movies or gaming or anything with a visual presence), I'd say the D3 is fine. You're not gonna be able differentiate the subtle nuances of DAC when most of your attention is focused visually.

http://www.amazon.com/D3-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B005K2TXMO

I will be using digital audio out from the TV only option I have its a 2013 ST60 plasma there are no RCA outputs digital audio and of course HDMI output

I use the amp and TV mostly for movies  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back