NEW! Velodyne vTrue Studio Headphones
Mar 31, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #91 of 119
  They look very nice indeed are very well made, and considering I only paid 89 for them, they would be a good deal, except the sound, they frankly don't sound very good, to me at least, except for hip hop, they are ok for hiphop. The bass though isn't very tight, and sounds muddy to me. Oh well. I will probably keep them solely because they are cheap, and look nice. 

come on, do you really think they are the real Velodyne v True Studio? 

get rid of them, they are garbage

I got a pair though Amazon (probably the same seller as yours) because I knew I could return them so I knew I would not get stuck with a cheap knock off. They were horrible. In every way. Within 5 minutes I had a call tag issued. Love Amazon. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #92 of 119
I'd be very surprised if there were fakes. These weren't popular at all so it makes little sense to fake these. They just actually suck.

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #93 of 119
I'd be very surprised if there were fakes. These weren't popular at all so it makes little sense to fake these. They just actually suck.

Really?  You explain to me how a $400 headphone can be sold for $80. and please no stupid response that shows zero business understanding. 

They are a current model selling for $400. That means that they were not sold to a re-seller for less than wholesale which would be roughly $200. Do you really think some guy decided to take a $120 loss on the product while it is still current? 

Even a loss leader would be sold at cost not below cost. (cost to the wholesaler) 

Mar 31, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #94 of 119

Really?  You explain to me how a $400 headphone can be sold for $80. and please no stupid response that shows zero business understanding. 

They are a current model selling for $400. That means that they were not sold to a re-seller for less than wholesale which would be roughly $200. Do you really think some guy decided to take a $120 loss on the product while it is still current? 

Even a loss leader would be sold at cost not below cost. (cost to the wholesaler) 

You are crazy I also got mine for $75 bucks. They are being cleaned out everywhere.

Mar 31, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #95 of 119

My assumption was they priced them at $399 because they could rather than because they were worth $399 Many other companies were selling their headphones for $399 (Bang and Olufsen, Parrot, Bowers and Wilkins), so $399 is a sensible price point especially since they could market the vTrue's materials as a justification for their price.

Velodyne has been blowing them out because I can assume few people have been buying them due to negative reviews (I probably contributed to the problem with my review). Velodyne themselves sold them for $90 with a $25 gift card a few months ago. They flopped in the market because they don't sound very good.

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #96 of 119
My assumption was they priced them at $399 because they could rather than because they were worth $399 Many other companies were selling their headphones for $399 (Bang and Olufsen, Parrot, Bowers and Wilkins), so $399 is a sensible price point especially since they could market the vTrue's materials as a justification for their price.

Velodyne has been blowing them out because I can aWhy so manyssume few people have been buying them due to negative reviews (I probably contributed to the problem with my review). Velodyne themselves sold them for $90 with a $25 gift card a few months ago. They flopped in the market because they don't sound very good.

Oh God. This is not how pricing is done. Why do so many people believe audio companies pick prices out of the sky? They face the same competitive forces as every other industry. 

Velodyne sold their $400 headphone for $65 dollars? I'll call them tomorrow to find out if this is true. It would go against every business model ever put together if true. If true, I would need to recommend they fire their CEO immediately. 

With all respect, it seems you make a ton of assumptions with little experience to base them on. 

As to negative reviews, I'd like to see Velodyne crack down on folks who buy knock offs and write libelous reviews. 

I don't own a pair but I have read nothing but good things except for a post or two from folks who appear to have gotten them at an incredible discount. 
rolleyes.gif

Here is an idea since you fanny yourself a headphone reviewer, review headphones that you get directly from the manufacturer. 

i'll check on the pricing offered by Velodyne and get back to you, in the meantime, find out who it was you bought the headphones from. 

thanks

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #97 of 119
Velodyne's rep that posted earlier in the thread sent me both pairs I have. And uhh...did you read the posts earlier in the thread? They weren't very positive either. I was actually a bit too positive in my earlier posts; I tried them again recently after not using them for a while and really didn't like them. I'd rank them below the M50.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/10785#post_11143229

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/12195#post_11286957

Even now, they're $99 for refurbs: http://velodyne.com/special-offers/certified-refurbished/vtrue-headphones-forged-refurb.html

I will admit I'm making assumptions on their pricing though.

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #98 of 119
Velodyne's rep that posted earlier in the thread sent me both pairs I have. And uhh...did you read the posts earlier in the thread? They weren't very positive either. I was actually a bit too positive in my earlier posts; I tried them again recently after not using them for a while and really didn't like them. I'd rank them below the M50.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/10785#post_11143229

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/12195#post_11286957

Even now, they're $99 for refurbs: http://velodyne.com/special-offers/certified-refurbished/vtrue-headphones-forged-refurb.html

I will admit I'm making assumptions on their pricing though.

didn't you just say you paid $80???

No, I have not reviewed the thread, I will. 

So you paid nothing?  

you got them because you are a writer? 

I gotta tell you, something is amiss. 

$99, refurbished is not relevant. Selling statement product at 80% off, as suggested above is. 

I would not feel comfortable buying anything Velodyne right now. 

There is tons of stuff with the Velodyne name on it with ridiculous discounts. 

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #99 of 119
Just followed your links. Indeed, The True Studio was being sold for $80. 

Shocking. Totally shocking. Still, I am gonna call and verify before I swear off this company. 

Like I posted above, I got a pair, through Amazon so I knew I could return them, and they were Godawful. To be fair to Velodyne, they were from a re-seller that is not authorized I later found out. 

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #100 of 119
The Velodyne vTrues have indeed been selling cheap for a while now. I don't see why anyone is so surprised; the nature of the headphone biz is that unsuccessful or outdated models end up being liquidated at bargain prices.

Meanwhile, I will stick up for the Velodynes as flawed but hardly "godawful." The bass is powerful and visceral, so for bass heavy music they can be terrific. The overall dark signature ruins vocals pretty much, but with some treble eq-ing the sound can be improved for most instrumental music. With a decent amp and some eq these are certainly worth their discounted price.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #101 of 119
The Velodyne vTrues have indeed been selling cheap for a while now. I don't see why anyone is so surprised; the nature of the headphone biz is that unsuccessful or outdated models end up being liquidated at bargain prices.

Meanwhile, I will stick up for the Velodynes as flawed but hardly "godawful." The bass is powerful and visceral, so for bass heavy music they can be terrific. The overall dark signature ruins vocals pretty much, but with some treble eq-ing the sound can be improved for most instrumental music. With a decent amp and some eq these are certainly worth their discounted price.

trust me

the one I had, that was marked Velodyne but bought from an unauthorized re-seller, was godawful. No exaggeration. I do not believe it was Velodyne, I believe it was a knock off. I refuse to believe Velodyne would sell such garbage. PLus, bargain prices and below cost is completely different. 

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #102 of 119
They are now being sold for $135 on amazon.  Still garbage though huh? They look sexy.

If this video is true...they sound absolutely terrible. This is a big if....

Whomever has heard them...can verify they pretty much take the life out of eveything.

[youtube]FoN88sMqiow[/youtube]

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #103 of 119
Yeah, they do. Last year they had a CES promo in which they gave away a vFree to each person who signed up for their newsletters. Even the free headphones sound better.

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #104 of 119
Man, can you imagine paying retail for them....ouch man. The thing is... Velodyne is known for their subs but I've heard some people who owned them and they bottomed out ALOT. My SVS never bottoms out.

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #105 of 119
  They are now being sold for $135 on amazon.  Still garbage though huh? They look sexy.

that is not an authorized re-seller

I don't believe they are real Velodyne. They are the one's I sent back... within minutes. 

if they are, Velodyne needs to get out of audio. The finish was TERRIBLE and cheap looking. The coloration of the leather was hideous. The mechanism for adjusting to head size literally did not work. The sound was awful.  The worst piece of audio equipment I every bought. In 50 years. No lie. 

I still do not believe it was truly Velodyne. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back