Next step DAC AMP recommendation for HD6XX
Mar 26, 2018 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

EmojilessPsykop

New Head-Fier
Hi,

new beginner audio enthusiast here.

I've been fairly happily using my new Sennheiser HD6XX and am looking for the best dac amp solution within 500EUR that is "reasonable" (if I can have 95% the quality for 250EUR, why pay 500 for the last few percent).

Generally from what I read the recommended minimum is the ODAC/O2 or the Shiit stack. A friend of mine has the JDS ODAC/O2 and I liked it with the HD6XX but wasn't blown away. I could get it for around 230EUR.

What I'm interested in is what could be the next step after this so called minimum to reveal the Senns potential? As I read it scales very well with good amps. Presumably I could use the ODAC with a more powerful/better amp than the O2, but what would that be?

What I have now:
I currently use FX Audio DAC X6 but I dont like its sound, which is why I want to upgrade.
I also have Meridian Explorer 2 and I like its sound with other headphones but the built in amp is too weak for HD6XX.

So the questions I have:
1. Is the DAC in Meridian Explorer 2 good enough so I could use its line out to bypass its amp and just buy a better amp? If no, which DAC should I get?

2. Are tubes the way to go with HD6XX? Darkvoice 336 then?

3. What would be the solid state end goal for HD6XX?

Mar 26, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #2 of 20
The hd6xx does well with tubes. You can do either otl like the darkvoice or a hybrid amp in your price range like the vali 2. I am not sure if you can get a good Transformer coupled amp in your price range like the wa 22.

Mar 26, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #3 of 20
I do like my Darkvoice 336SE OTL tube headphone amplifier.

Mar 26, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 20
The hd6xx does well with tubes. You can do either otl like the darkvoice or a hybrid amp in your price range like the vali 2. I am not sure if you can get a good Transformer coupled amp in your price range like the wa 22.
Thanks for the advice though I haven't seen Shiit sold anywhere in Europe and I'm not sure its worth shipping it from the States unless its a good discount on Massdrop.
Edit - Apparently I'm blind, found an online store. Ill investigate on Vali 2.

I do like my Darkvoice 336SE OTL tube headphone amplifier.

Hmm yes I'm considering it though I read that its fire prone so feel a bit uneasy using it in the office (I'll be using this setup at my desk in the office, before you ask yes its completely silent, we're just a few dudes with headphones in a small room).

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 20
I've been fairly happily using my new Sennheiser HD6XX and am looking for the best dac amp solution within 500EUR that is "reasonable" (if I can have 95% the quality for 250EUR, why pay 500 for the last few percent).

Generally from what I read the recommended minimum is the ODAC/O2 or the Shiit stack. A friend of mine has the JDS ODAC/O2 and I liked it with the HD6XX but wasn't blown away. I could get it for around 230EUR.

What I'm interested in is what could be the next step after this so called minimum to reveal the Senns potential? As I read it scales very well with good amps. Presumably I could use the ODAC with a more powerful/better amp than the O2, but what would that be?

AudioGD NFB-11

So the questions I have:
1. Is the DAC in Meridian Explorer 2 good enough so I could use its line out to bypass its amp and just buy a better amp? If no, which DAC should I get?

As long as it has a fixed voltage line out and you don't need any features it may not have then just use that. Just note that you can't use this with the NFB-11 since it has no analogue inputs, although you can try the Meier Jazz FF instead.

OTL tube amps are an easy way to get an amp with a high voltage output, but these have a problem with low impedance, low sensitivity headphones: weak current delivery and high output impedance.

If you don't have or don't plan on using any headphone with sensitivity lower than 100dB, and don't expect any headphone with impedance lower than 150dB to function as a reference headphone, then this is a good choice.

Violectric V200, Meier Classic FF

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 20
If you don’t mind building get the bottle head crack. A friend of mine has the crack paired with his HD600 and the combo is heavenly, I’d honestly say it’s end game for that particular headphone and it’s only like 300$

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 20
Hi,

What I have now:
I currently use FX Audio DAC X6 but I dont like its sound, which is why I want to upgrade.
I also have Meridian Explorer 2 and I like its sound with other headphones but the built in amp is too weak for HD6XX.

So the questions I have:

I personally love tubes with the HD650, and as you are in the EU take a look at the new Feliks Audio Echo.

I have the Espressivo MKII, and previously had the original Espressivo. Both work extremely well with the HD650.

You can use with the X6 or the Explorer 2 into the Echo, and it would be a brilliant setup. Tube amps are not a huge fire risk, just make sure you have good ventilation (don't cover them over or stick them in a small cabinet).

I have had my Espressivo amps on for a whole day without any issues, so I wouldn't worry.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 20
Thanks for the reply, ProtegeManiac. If I go SS, I'll probably choose AudioGD NFB-11. Currently I'm leaning more towards tube

If you don’t mind building get the bottle head crack. A friend of mine has the crack paired with his HD600 and the combo is heavenly, I’d honestly say it’s end game for that particular headphone and it’s only like 300$
I suspect people who built it might have a bit of bias in that they spent so much time lovingly building it so it must sound better than anything else. Have you as a side observer compared it with Valhalla 2 or anything similar?

I personally love tubes with the HD650, and as you are in the EU take a look at the new Feliks Audio Echo.

I have the Espressivo MKII, and previously had the original Espressivo. Both work extremely well with the HD650.

You can use with the X6 or the Explorer 2 into the Echo, and it would be a brilliant setup. Tube amps are not a huge fire risk, just make sure you have good ventilation (don't cover them over or stick them in a small cabinet).

I have had my Espressivo amps on for a whole day without any issues, so I wouldn't worry.

This is actually very interesting regarding the Echo. Love the looks as well.

Schiit Valhalla 2 is a popular choice here as I understand. Echo is in the same price range, I wonder how would they compare?

I was also thinking of using the dac-x6's RCA out for starters and maybe upgrading to Schiit Modi afterwards. But how could I use the Explorers 3.5mm line out fixed 2v RMS?

Mar 27, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #9 of 20
Thanks for the reply, ProtegeManiac. If I go SS, I'll probably choose AudioGD NFB-11. Currently I'm leaning more towards tube

I suspect people who built it might have a bit of bias in that they spent so much time lovingly building it so it must sound better than anything else. Have you as a side observer compared it with Valhalla 2 or anything similar?

This is actually very interesting regarding the Echo. Love the looks as well.

Schiit Valhalla 2 is a popular choice here as I understand. Echo is in the same price range, I wonder how would they compare?

I was also thinking of using the dac-x6's RCA out for starters and maybe upgrading to Schiit Modi afterwards. But how could I use the Explorers 3.5mm line out fixed 2v RMS?

I have not had experience with the Valhalla 2 unfortunately, but I love the craftsmanship that goes into the Feliks amps, and their customer service is superb (supporting the underdogs). I will be getting a loan Echo mid april to compare to the Espressivo MKII.

You could use the X6's RCA output into the Echo, or use a 3.5mm to RCA cable from the Explorer 2 into the Echo.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #10 of 20
I have not had experience with the Valhalla 2 unfortunately, but I love the craftsmanship that goes into the Feliks amps, and their customer service is superb. I will be getting a loan Echo mid april to compare to the Espressivo MKII..

There are no reviews for the Echo yet that I could find. I'd be very interested in your comments after you try it out. Will you be posting them somewhere? I would hold on a few weeks.

Mar 27, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #11 of 20
You can go for vintage audio receivers, which usually have a headphone out. Have the v200, and aune x7s, and lake people g103. It's really up to your tastes. I prefer the MAC 1900 to all of them, and it was less expensive than the v200 by a good margin on ebay. Schiit has European sales, I believe, and the Vali 2 isn't a bad mention.

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #12 of 20
No I have not compared the crack to any other otl tube amps, but I didn’t build it, and am still blown away by it. I’ll personally be building one of the bottlehead sex kits as it’s more suited for the headphones I use. One thing to keep in mind depending on what your budget is...a 350$ kit that you need to build is most likely going to be superior to a 350$ amp you buy. Especially if it’s not a Chinese amp or something like that. But like with everything in this hobby, it’s all preference...I was just blown away with the crack/HD600 pairing.

Feb 4, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #13 of 20
Hi,

What I have now:

So the questions I have:

If your looking for a small solution then the Micro iFi Black Label is the amp for you, SOUNDS GREAT!

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #15 of 20
Try out tubes, see if you like them. The MCTH with SDAC might be a good choice for small footprint. Modi 3 and Vali 2 might also be a good way to go. Not at all against the ifi Micro black label recommend, not sure how the Nano plays with the 6xx.

If you want full tubes instead of hybrid, you can go chifi for the price. There's more than just the Darkvoice. Little Dot, Little Bear, Aune, and more. Can't attest to all of their qualities, but just to try out? Might be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back