NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #1,607 of 1,640
Next week I will have a Piety, Pietus Maximus ESS and MB editions in house.

I am looking forward in doing a three way comparison with the original Piety to its bigger brothers...

Stay tuned, well review the experience and post !

Alex
That sounds like fun LOL.

Looking forward to it!

Though word on the street is that you'll need a Gungnir for optimal results. 😉

But maybe not realistic in most use case scenario LOL.

Mar 1, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #1,608 of 1,640
Though word on the street is that you'll need a Gungnir for optimal results. 😉
For which? I had the Gumby hooked to the Piety for a while and words fail me. OTOH, it was too much, too, iykwim.

Mar 2, 2024 at 5:23 AM Post #1,610 of 1,640
PM is capable of quite a bit.. It scales like mad with the Yggy A2. I was not a fan of the Gungnir's SE outputs in any flavor.

Mar 3, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #1,611 of 1,640
I will use several dacs, but the base comparison will be the Pietus Maximus MB version vs the ESS version.
I have the OG Piety here since day 1. And have used several dacs with is, all with good results.
Picking at straws here for me.

So many combinations here.

Could remove the dac in the Maximus and compare the basic amp with an external dac. I have both the MB2 and the Modius E dacs.
Think this would be a wash, but who knows...

Should arrive this coming Friday.
Alex

Mar 8, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #1,612 of 1,640
Well they arrived late today.
All up and warming up..
Piety on top of course.
Then MB and ESS version on the bottom..

Nice looking amps...

Stay tuned for impressions and a review early next week.
Alex
1709943236319.png

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #1,616 of 1,640
May i ask why do you prefer the piety with hd8000 planar headphone? Tks
I knew someone would catch this...
At times there are just unexplainable magical pairings that seem to be just nicer in the overall musical presentation.

This is one of those times for me.

The Piety using the high gain selection just was more "open" and less closed in....I hat to use adjectives that you might define differently.

On another day with different material this could vacillate back and forth.

We all hear differently.

The difference in the two amps with the D8000 Pros was to me just a nicer "overall" sound...
Mostly with really good recordings..

Alex

Note: Sometimes, less is indeed more...no where have we heard this hmmmm....
:>)

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #1,617 of 1,640
For which? I had the Gumby hooked to the Piety for a while and words fail me. OTOH, it was too much, too, iykwim.

I have my Gumby connected to an Asgard 3 and Piety via a Sys. LOVE the Gumby+Piety combo for certain genres - jam bands, concert recordings, some Jazz...and this is with the tube stage engaged on the Freya N! Folks on a certain measurements-first forum would be collapsing on their fainting couches at the thought! :ksc75smile:

Mar 11, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #1,619 of 1,640
I knew someone would catch this...
At times there are just unexplainable magical pairings that seem to be just nicer in the overall musical presentation.

This is one of those times for me.

The Piety using the high gain selection just was more "open" and less closed in....I hat to use adjectives that you might define differently.

On another day with different material this could vacillate back and forth.

We all hear differently.

The difference in the two amps with the D8000 Pros was to me just a nicer "overall" sound...
Mostly with really good recordings..

Alex

Note: Sometimes, less is indeed more...no where have we heard this hmmmm....
I have sent the units back to Nitsch and this am I replaced a noisy pot on my Piety....pretty simple here for me.
Some of the smaller ALPS pots seem to have noisy wipers and low end tracking might be a tad off...again for me its splitting hairs.
The Piety Maximus with the larger pot doesn't have these issues! Its a 50K pot if anyone wants to know.

You never will notice these things when listening...mostly my anal-retentive engineering look at things like this!

So we are already missing the Maximus!
Stuck with my Piety...listening now with Rad 0's similar to the D8000 Pros...and Roberta Flack sounds grand !
Schiit MB2 with Piety very decent pairng...

1710176505580.png

Might have to spring for one when my B-day comes around!!

Alex

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #1,620 of 1,640
I have sent the units back to Nitsch and this am I replaced a noisy pot on my Piety....pretty simple here for me.
Some of the smaller ALPS pots seem to have noisy wipers and low end tracking might be a tad off...again for me its splitting hairs.
The Piety Maximus with the larger pot doesn't have these issues! Its a 50K pot if anyone wants to know.

You never will notice these things when listening...mostly my anal-retentive engineering look at things like this!

So we are already missing the Maximus!
Stuck with my Piety...listening now with Rad 0's similar to the D8000 Pros...and Roberta Flack sounds grand !
Schiit MB2 with Piety very decent pairng...

1710176505580.png

Might have to spring for one when my B-day comes around!!

Alex
WOW! That seems like a quick turnaround! I'm sure Christian wouldn't have minded you keeping them around a little longer (maybe not until your birthday). And, yes, both Piety & PMax are great to have in the stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back