NITSCH x Schiit Pietus Maximus Release/Impressions Thread
Nov 20, 2023 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 462

Voxata

Headphoneus Supremus
Nitsch's second Schiit collaboration looks to address a few things I didn't like about the first, despite it being a pretty great sounding little amp.

Power supply is now contained within a larger chassis, negative gain capabilities, more power (for planars), better pot and maybe some improved sound quality. No exact ETA on this amp however I wouldn't expect it to be too long.

Chassis looks to be the exact same size as the Bifrost 2 and is SE throughout.

Opened this thread for discussion and release date/impression information as it comes. I'm really stoked about this one, as Piety has been a staple in my amp rotation since it's release.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #2 of 462
I can confirm that this amp is 'coming soon'. :L3000:

How soon?! Unfortunately, I have no idea. :sweat_smile:

If you do a Google search, there is more info about it on The Site Which Shall Not Be Named!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #3 of 462
My bifrost 2 (got it used some time ago) was scratched pretty good in shipping so, this is a pretty good excuse to repaint the lid a matching color. I trust CeeTee and Jason have made the Pietus to sound excellent. Surely a new design as well, so this is rather exciting!

Dec 2, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 462
Some units have gone out to a few reviewers and others in the community, with a retail launch is very likely soon to follow. The internals do remind me of the original Piety however with a larger transistor section and much better power delivery/filtering. Quite a few other upgrades in there as well.

IMG20231202094426.jpg

I'm really glad to report that the gain selection this time around is marvelous. It's not too much as it was with Piety and allows for usage with IEMs and demanding headphones alike. Want gobs of power? Just pop it into high. I do really like the knob color and wish Schiit would make this a standard to replace the gray flavor.

1701544786163.png

As far as sound goes I'll need a couple days to form further impressions, however I was quite hooked upon first listen which is a great sign. It is less prickly than the Piety and definitely sounds like a more mature grown up version of it. The Pietus Maximus first listen reminded me a lot of when I first heard the Quicksilver HPA coming from SW51+. Everything was more grand and enveloping. This is far and away the best Schiit amp I've heard to date and one of the best sounding SS amps for those who just want to relax and enjoy the music. If you are a fan of the Piety, this is a palpable upgrade. More information to come from me in the coming days, but this is definitely a keeper.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 462
This is far and away the best Schiit amp I've heard to date and one of the best sounding SS amps for those who just want to relax and enjoy the music. If you are a fan of the Piety, this is a palpable upgrade. More information to come from me in the coming days, but this is definitely a keeper.
Thank you for your first impressions! Better than Mj3?

Dec 2, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 462
Thank you for your first impressions! Better than Mj3?

I've actually not heard the MJ3 but some things about it are a no go for me. Heat output being my main concern.

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 462
I've actually not heard the MJ3 but some things about it are a no go for me. Heat output being my main concern.
I've compared Mj3 to Jot2 at Schiit meet NC, and Mj3 was miles ahead. I was using HD650 and HE6seV2. Try to check it out if you can.

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 462
Glad to hear it. If it helps, the Pietus is also miles ahead of the Jot2. Would love to compare the two someday however!

Dec 2, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #11 of 462
ooh i love my piety I wonder how much more different this is.

Dec 3, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #14 of 462
As far as sound goes I'll need a couple days to form further impressions, however I was quite hooked upon first listen which is a great sign. It is less prickly than the Piety and definitely sounds like a more mature grown up version of it. The Pietus Maximus first listen reminded me a lot of when I first heard the Quicksilver HPA coming from SW51+. Everything was more grand and enveloping. This is far and away the best Schiit amp I've heard to date and one of the best sounding SS amps for those who just want to relax and enjoy the music. If you are a fan of the Piety, this is a palpable upgrade. More information to come from me in the coming days, but this is definitely a keeper.

That's high praise indeed!

Having owned a Quicksilver HPA for a while, I absolutely loved its SQ, but it had a persistent 60Hz low-level hum that I just couldn't get rid of no matter what I tried, so I ending up selling it. From what I understand, the low-level hum is a known issue with Quicksilver HPAs, so it just comes down to if it bugs you or not.

While I also loved the SQ of the Piety, it definitely had its limitations, so I can't wait to hear what this fully realized version of the Piety sounds like.

I'll for sure be getting one! :ksc75smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back