NITSCH x Schiit Pietus Maximus Release/Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #451 of 462
how come the high gain/ +15db mode sound better to me than the normal +0 db gain mode? or is it just me? Even with efficient headphones like LCD X, 660s2 and Zmf Bokeh. Can someone clarify my preposterous claims?? LOL

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #452 of 462
I think there is a touch more noise which translates into warmth? Extremely subtle vs OG Pietus gain switch - that one was drastic! I've listened to Medium gain more often just to accustom myself and they seem pretty close... Medium maybe a touch more transparent

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #453 of 462
I looked through the documentation, but couldn't find the answer to this, so: How many volts is PieMax capable of taking in from a preamp before clipping? Is it the normal 2v, or the Chord favorite, 3v?

My Mojo 2 just came in, and I'm trying to figure out how best to set it up when I get into work tomorrow. :)

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #454 of 462
I looked through the documentation, but couldn't find the answer to this, so: How many volts is PieMax capable of taking in from a preamp before clipping? Is it the normal 2v, or the Chord favorite, 3v?

My Mojo 2 just came in, and I'm trying to figure out how best to set it up when I get into work tomorrow. :)
Not sure about Mojo 2 but 4 clicks down in OG version brings it to 2.1v. May be same is true for v2 as well?

Apr 22, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #455 of 462
how come the high gain/ +15db mode sound better to me than the normal +0 db gain mode? or is it just me? Even with efficient headphones like LCD X, 660s2 and Zmf Bokeh. Can someone clarify my preposterous claims?? LOL
Most Schiit headphone amps sound better in high gain to me. Higher gain means less feedback.

Apr 22, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #456 of 462

I find for Pietus Maximus the medium gain and high gain definitely sound better than low gain.

But between medium and high I find it's a wash, sometimes I like medium gain sometimes I like high gain sometimes I can't tell any difference.

Though other Schiit amps low and high definitely has noticeable difference.

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:17 AM Post #457 of 462

I have my Qutest set to 3V with no issues. I don’t think I ever use high gain. There’s just not enough adjustment for anything I connect.

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #458 of 462
Chord_Mojo2_01.jpg

All setup and sounding great. 2V is more than enough. lol. I was worried about that, but no longer. I need to run at Medium Gain with 2v. :)

PS. The volume pot in the picture is not where I'm using it now. Just to clarify. :wink:

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #459 of 462
Haven't read through every page here yet, but does/did anyone have a comparison between the Pietus Maximus and topping A90D?

I'm leaning towards Pietus, but the A90D is a real compelling alt choice. Just trying to find direct comparisons, which so far has been tough.

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #460 of 462
Most Schiit headphone amps sound better in high gain to me.** Higher gain means less feedback.
** This has been true for me with Lyr 3, Mjolnir 2, Valhalla 2. No HG/LG verdict yet on Vali 3. [I do set HG when 300-ohm h/p are used.]

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #461 of 462
I have almost always preferred the SQ of the high gain setting on all of the Schiit amps I've owned, with the only exception being the Mjolnir 3.

Low gain on Schiit amps has always made the amp sound like it lacked drive and dynamics to me.

On the MJ3, the sonic difference between high and low gain was much more subtle. The amp was already as resolving and dynamic sounding as I could ever want in low gain, and I never once needed more gain with my headphones (using balanced in, balanced out), so I just left it in low gain and was very happy with its sound.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #462 of 462
I have almost always preferred the SQ of the high gain setting on all of the Schiit amps I've owned, with the only exception being the Mjolnir 3.

Low gain on Schiit amps has always made the amp sound like it lacked drive and dynamics to me.

On the MJ3, the sonic difference between high and low gain was much more subtle. The amp was already as resolving and dynamic sounding as I could ever want in low gain, and I never once needed more gain with my headphones (using balanced in, balanced out), so I just left it in low gain and was very happy with its sound.
Same.

Probably because the gain on MJ3 is not controlled by the amount of feedback (since it’s also available in non-feedback mode).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back