No Headphones. Looking at either the Sony MDR7506's or the KRK KNS8400. Help me choose please?
Oct 13, 2011 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jordan12

New Head-Fier
I don't have any headphones at all, and want a pair for light gaming. I also do a lot of tv show and movie watching. And of course, some music.

So I really am looking for a pair that will give me the most complete sound for all of these things. I just want the gaming aspect to be on the very light side of use.

The reviews on the Sony MDR7506's and the KRK 8400's seem to be very highly rated...

And both are in my price range. I don't the slightest idea on which on to choose. And I cant find any local stores carrying them.

Heck, maybe I am off and I would be more than happy to take suggestions if there are better ones out there.

thanks

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 5
The cans that I own in this price range are the Sony MDR-7506.
I bought them to replace a pair of Sony MDR-V6s that I'd owned for 21 years.

The MDR-V6 is the consumer version of the MDR-7506, which is part of Sony's professional headphone line.
Differences are in the magnet materials and plug ends, otherwise very similar phones.

The Sony MDR-7506 is a "standard" for the recording industry and considered to be a pretty sonically faithful phone.

I haven't heard the KNS8400s, but here's a link to another HeadFi thread that compared these and a couple other phones in this range.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/540079/five-headphones-compared-kns-8400-dj100-hd-598-sextett-and-mdr-7506

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 5
I really like the 8400s.  I think they're very well balanced and would be suitable for a lot of different uses.  Here's the review I wrote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/570501/the-krk-kns-8400-you-can-have-it-all
Furthermore, if the 7506s are anything comfort-wise like the V6s, I found them to be quite uncomfortable.  The 8400s are more suited for long-term comfort, IMHO.

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
I don't have any headphones at all, and want a pair for light gaming. I also do a lot of tv show and movie watching. And of course, some music.

So I really am looking for a pair that will give me the most complete sound for all of these things. I just want the gaming aspect to be on the very light side of use.

The reviews on the Sony MDR7506's and the KRK 8400's seem to be very highly rated...

And both are in my price range. I don't the slightest idea on which on to choose. And I cant find any local stores carrying them.

Heck, maybe I am off and I would be more than happy to take suggestions if there are better ones out there.

thanks

Neither.

Try out the Panasonic RP-HTF600 and add some velour pads. Review in my sig to learn more.

Or maybe try and get a Shure SRH840.

Very best,

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Neither.

Try out the Panasonic RP-HTF600 and add some velour pads. Review in my sig to learn more.

Or maybe try and get a Shure SRH840.

Very best,

Well, your review got me to go with the Panasonic cans. If they are as good as you describe, then I will have a perfect set of cans for a small amount of money.

Ill wait and see about the velour pads. But thanks for your feedback, sir..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back