Noise Polution Alert!!
Dec 3, 2001 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kwkarth

Electronics guys... we have our plusses and minuses. With advent of digital everything, we're being phased out
Are Flight Paths Runways to Heart Disease?
frown.gif

Tuesday, November 27, 2001; Page HE03
While fear of a plane's plowing into a residential neighborhood may hound people who live near busy airports -- especially after the Nov. 12 crash in Queens, N.Y., that killed more than 260 people, including five on the ground -- a far bigger and more insidious health risk may be the daily noise of aircraft overhead.
eek.gif

Flight path noise has previously been blamed for problems ranging from increased stress to poor school performance. Now a new Swedish study links it to high blood pressure and subsequent heart disease.

The report in the British journal Occupational and Environmental Medicine shows that people who live in the highest noise zones around Stockholm Arlanda Airport are 80 percent more likely to report having high blood pressure than those who live farther away.

Investigators studied two groups: 266 lived in areas where average daily aircraft noise levels exceeded 50 decibels (dBs); another 2,700 resided in quieter outlying counties. In the noisier areas, researchers recorded noise bursts of 70 dBs and up -- as loud as heavy traffic or a hair dryer -- at least three times daily.

After controlling for factors such as diet, exercise and smoking, the researchers found that in areas with average daily aircraft noise above 55 dBs, or with maximum noise levels over 72 dBs, 20 percent of participants reported having high blood pressure, compared with 14 percent among those exposed to less noise. There was no difference in risk between men and women, but older people and those with good hearing appeared more vulnerable.

Study author Mats Rosenlund of Stockholm's Karolinska Hospital speculated that the erratic cycle of takeoffs and landings disturbed cognitive functions, caused emotional reactions or interfered with mental tasks, relaxation or sleep.

How loud are Washington's airports? Data collected by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority and released in February by the watchdog group Citizens for the Abatement of Aircraft Noise (CAAN) showed that average daily noise levels exceeded 55 dBs -- the Federal Aviation Administration threshold is 65 dBs -- for 24 of the 32 neighborhoods monitored over three years. (The data cover areas near Reagan National and Dulles International, but not Baltimore-Washington International.)

Since Sept. 11, tightened security may have increased those numbers for communities beneath Reagan National flight paths, even though flights have been cut by more than half. Where rules used to allow takeoffs to follow the Potomac and throttle back engines for a slower, quieter climb, says CAAN spokesman Don MacGlashan, "now pilots must use a normal climb profile, which requires more engine power and are restricted to flight paths that take them farther from the White House and Capitol, and over more residential communities instead."

Residents in Northwest Washington's Palisades neighborhood, around Georgetown University, and in Chevy Chase may have noticed the difference, he says.

The good news is that sustained aircraft noise doesn't pose much risk to our ears. According to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, noise levels of up to 75 dBs, even after long exposure, are unlikely to damage hearing.
-- Martha Frase-Blunt
© 2001 The Washington Post Company

Dec 4, 2001 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 19
There have been many studies that link noise pollution to stress levels. I am acutely aware of the relationship myself, being less then a mile from the Portland airport and my neighbors on two sides regularly crank their stereo's up to insane levels for hours on end, often till 3 or 4 in the morning. IF they aren't doing it, some one is cruising through with the same volume in a car stereo. Then there is the neighbor whose dog barks for hours at a time. Some times I fantasize about stepping out on the porch and cutting loose with a gun! Thankfully, I can resist such tempting fantasy's. But I will tell you, there is no doubt in my mind about the problem of noise polution. The only solution I have is to try to move. That does not look like I can make it happen for at least a year or so. Sometimes life ain't much fun.

Dec 4, 2001 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Budgie
There have been many studies that link noise pollution to stress levels. I am acutely aware of the relationship myself, being less then a mile from the Portland airport and my neighbors on two sides regularly crank their stereo's up to insane levels for hours on end, often till 3 or 4 in the morning. IF they aren't doing it, some one is cruising through with the same volume in a car stereo. Then there is the neighbor whose dog barks for hours at a time. Some times I fantasize about stepping out on the porch and cutting loose with a gun! Thankfully, I can resist such tempting fantasy's. But I will tell you, there is no doubt in my mind about the problem of noise polution. The only solution I have is to try to move. That does not look like I can make it happen for at least a year or so. Sometimes life ain't much fun.

Hey Budgie, sounds more like the idiot neighbor syndrome that many of us suffer from. You basically described exactly what happens on my block, and only on mine, every morning. Stupid dog barking for hours on end, idiot neighbors blasting their tin can car stereos, Garbage truck falling off the empire state building (well thats what it sounds like when it roars down my block) among many other things. The block before mine? DEAD QUIET. And top it all off, i actually get traffic jams on my block!!!! You believe that?! Actually cutting loose with some uzi's wouldnt be such a bad idea.

George

Dec 4, 2001 at 12:55 AM Post #6 of 19
Suburbs rock
smily_headphones1.gif

The closest airport to me is some 20-40 miles (well there is this one "airport" with one airstrip that isn't used anymore in a neighboring town). Neighbors are relatively far away too, and they are nice.

Dec 4, 2001 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 19
Has anyone ever taken an SPL meter into the NYC subway system? There was an article about it a while back, but I can't find it. I'd like to know how loud the screeching actually gets.

Dec 4, 2001 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 19
Cych, what's your address? We'll be right over!! There goes the neighborhood
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2001 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by huy_ha
Has anyone ever taken an SPL meter into the NYC subway system? There was an article about it a while back, but I can't find it. I'd like to know how loud the screeching actually gets.

Loud enough to cover my ears with my fingers sometimes! Its horrible, no wonder the conductors wear noise cancelling cans.

George

Dec 4, 2001 at 3:51 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco

Hey Budgie, sounds more like the idiot neighbor syndrome that many of us suffer from

You can count me too as afected by such symptoms (did I spelled it rigth?). I have children playing, dogs barking and yipping, a dumb neighbour playing nasty music all morning, a washer working every morning on the upper floor and by nigth the idiots blasting crappy music in their cars and trains at 3:00 am and a old crazy hag who yells "Jesus, Mary and Joseph" every nigth at 4:00 am.

Do you wanna move to my neighborhood?

Dec 4, 2001 at 5:05 AM Post #11 of 19
Sound Proof your room! It will cost you but will be worth it.

There's this jazz club/restaraunt in Oakland called Yoshi's. There are literally trains that go down the the middle of the 4th st., right in front of the club - not subway cars, but gigantic freight trains. If you are outside when these pass by and the air horn goes off, prepare to go deaf. These are f#@%ing loud.

However, if you're in the club, and one of those trains goes by you don't hear anything at all. You only feel some rumbling but don't hear anything.

Once again, sound proof - your room is your most important component, even with headphones!

Luckily I live in the burbs, so ambient noise is not a problem. No kids, no pets.... ahhh
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2001 at 5:25 AM Post #13 of 19
I can picture it now, Beethoven dressed in period garb, cruisin down main st, left arm hangin out the window, with prelude and fugue in G blasting out the windows. A real head banger!
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back