Noob question on hiss sounds from headphones
Jun 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Keac241

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, 

I have a beginners question, at the moment, I don't have any external DAC or amps so I'm just running my music from my laptop's minijack output and into my low-end akg K77 headphones. 

Now, whenever I plug the headphones into the laptop, with nothing playing, I can hear a very very faint hiss (white noise) sound. I would assume the majority of people wouldn't even hear it and if I listen to a typical song (rock/pop), it's not a bother. But if I'm listening to quiet classical music etc, it becomes annoying if I ever focus on it. (Which i do all the time)

My question is, what is the main cause of the hiss sound? Is it the laptop's internal DAC converter and/or the soundcard? The mini jack plug itself? Or maybe even the headphone?

Additional question: If i bought myself a decent Amp+DAC and plug it into a USB, will I still hear 'any' hiss sounds when nothing is playing?

Cheers,

Jun 6, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 2
It will be the laptop's soundcard that is the cause of this. Upgrading to a good external DAC/Amplifier should reduce or eliminate this noise. (my Benchmark DAC2 is totally silent)

If it's for use with a Laptop, something like the Audioquest Dragonfly would be a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back