Noontec Hammo S unboxing, subjective impressions, and measurements
May 14, 2015 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

purrin

aka Marvey, purr1n
Member of the Trade: Eddie Current
Noontec Hammo S headphone unboxing, subjective impressions, and measurements.

I initially made the stupid mistake of listening to these from a Lenovo headphone out. This was fatal. So I was under the mistaken notion that these headphones did not sound good at first. I didn't know how bad the Lenovo headphone out sounded until I came home and plugged these in to my Theta/Yggy/ECZDs headphone listening rig in my living room. Wow!, these headphones certainly exceeded my expectations.

In short, the Hammo S are pretty darn good for what they are. I believe the MSRP is about $109. Not too sure. The styling takes a lot of cues from the old Monster Beats Studios, which I also happen to own. Nootec gets rid of the internal amp and noise cancelling crap of the Beats, and gives us a straight shot toward the drivers. In other words, The Nootec Hammo will scale with better gear since there is no internal POS amp limiting its potential.

This closed headphone provides a nice dynamic driver sound. The isolation is quite good. I had no issues fitting my ears inside the cups like with other headphones like the Focals. The Hammo's best sonic quality is its midrange rendition. Nice clean mids. The headphone sounds best at low to moderate volumes. If there are things about its performance that I'd have to nitpick (and to make things clear, we always pick on something with any headphone, even $5000 headphones), they would be a touch too much warmth (upper bass) and a bit of tizz and sizzle. Still, in the overall scheme of things, they are not serious issues, considering the low cost of the headphone.

As you can see, the measurements are quite amazing for its price range, and they reflect a lot of how they actually sound. There appears to be some ringing at 4kHz, but the ringing is short lived. I really didn't notice it subjectively; but then again, I've always said that 4k-5kHz ringing doesn't tend to bother me and most other people. TBH, the bump in the upper bass and in the mid treble were more noticeable to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back