Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Feb 23, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #1,876 of 6,511

So, question about the connectors.

I was under the impression that the Eidolic 4-pin XLR with Tellurium Copper pins was the best (4-pin XLR) connector (93% IACS).

However, wouldn't the Neutrik 4-pin XLR with Silver pins (NC4MXX) be better (105% IACS) or are they not truly Silver (plated/not pure/etc.)?

As for the other end of the cable. It appears that the Eidolic EMX-4R Rhodium Mini XLR is the best? What are the normal (Audeze) Mini XLR pins made of? I'm just curious as I see Rhodium falls fairly short when looking at conductivity/IACS (but it could still be better than the standard pins depending on what they are).

Thanks for the answers in advance. 
beerchug.gif

I think Eidolic vs. Neutrik has more to do with the internal wiring side and not the pin side in terms of quality.  Straightly speaking from the connection end (pins), Neutrik wins, but as far as I know it is just a plating which will wear out (its brass inside.)  On the other hand, the Eidolic Tellurium Copper pins are alloys (NOT plating), which means it will never have its conductivity changed due to wear.  So which one is better depends on how often you plug/unplug your cable, and how much you care about the IACS ratings.

Yeah I just spent a while looking for the Neutrik info and I finally found that they're Silver-plated Brass pins. So the Eidolic XLR is indeed superior IACS wise.

It's probably safe to say that both of the Mini-XLR females (standard and Eidolic) are also Brass (Eidolic tries to say their pins are a "high-Copper spring alloy", but Brass is 60% Copper and 40% Zinc so I assume that's just a marketing spin). The difference between them being the Rhodium plating.

So the final question would be, what does Eidolic mean when they say their Mini-XLR has an "ultra-hard multi-stage Rhodium plating"? Is it "Rhodium > Brass", "Rhodium > Silver > Brass", or "Rhodium > Nickle > Silver > Brass" (jewelry usually uses the latter but the 2 former would be better for audio since Nickle has a poor IACS)?

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #1,877 of 6,511
No, the Eidolic ones are pure copper with a tellurium mix, which is NOT brass.  For the mini-XLR, you really need to ask Eidolic as I don't know.

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #1,878 of 6,511
  No, the Eidolic ones are pure copper with a tellurium mix, which is NOT brass.  For the mini-XLR, you really need to ask Eidolic as I don't know.

Who said the TeCu pins were brass (when we said Brass we meant the Mini-XLR not the 4-pin)?
confused.gif

After a bit more digging I was able to find that "Brass" means "Red Brass" (60% Copper/40% Zinc) and the IACS is:

Metal​
IACS​
Rhodium​
39%​
Red Brass​
37%​

So as long as Nickle isn't unnecessarily added then the Rhodium is really just there for durability (although Gold plating would still have been preferred unless there's more I still don't understand).

If so, then it really just comes down to how often you unplug your cable and cosmetics. Honestly I would have preferred a silver/black theme (normal carbon fiber) but the red could grow on me. Decisions, decisions... lol.
beerchug.gif

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #1,879 of 6,511
Yep, and how often you unplug your cable and cosmetics will play more into your decision compare to the relatively minor change on the IACS rating.

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #1,880 of 6,511
Sorry to all waiting for reply, I had urgent travels and just returned.
I am replying to all messages, etc. now
Thanks for any understanding on this.

I agree with DrSheep, Connectors are primarily about durability, consistency, fit, build quality, scratch resistance, etc.
If you plug and unplug a lot, you want the plating to last, etc.
Email me on questions regarding certain plugs and I can give you a rundown
of my thoughts if interested at all. 

The mini-xlr females I have encountered are all brass as far as I am aware.

Feb 23, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #1,881 of 6,511
Yeah I think I've decided what to go with as far as connectors now.

Is there a gallery somewhere of all the different splitters? Specifically the new "Black Electroplated Engraved w/ Red Fill"? Below is an image of 3 other black ones that I found but not the electroplated one:

EDIT: Found a photo (hard to find these things lol). Posting for others:

Now I just have to decide between the red electroplated (to match the red carbon fiber mini-XLR) or carbon fiber inlay (to match the black/dark grey herringbone cable and possible future Audeze headband). Hrm...

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #1,883 of 6,511

I apologize, that picture was a bit rushed and does not capture the options all that well.
With the recent urgent travels and trying to get the backlog to more reasonable levels I haven't had time to get the best images
done yet.  Current customer orders have absolute priority over any site editing or new picture taking, my goal at this time is getting the backlog down quick as I can.   
But at some point I will finally have it in plain view on the pages themselves, as that is the best way to do it.  If you email me I am sure I have some other ones I can
send to you. 

----------------
edit: to all:
I am still working on replies for the past days of emails, I know there are a lot of emails to be answered.  Rest assured i am on it before its back to the workshop. 

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #1,885 of 6,511
Okay I just bought my first Norse cable based on recommendations in the HE1000 thread. Didn't realize the Norse connection to my Schiit gear until after placing the order. I'm getting a very basic straightforward cable -- how long should I expect it to take?

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #1,886 of 6,511
It depends on what you ordered and how many are in front of you. I know right now Trevor has a backlog he's trying to get through. So plan on a couple months. You can ping him for updates but remember he's a one man show. The quality he produces is well worth the wait. I'm about to order another cable and I know I'll see it maybe by the end of April...

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #1,887 of 6,511
  It depends on what you ordered and how many are in front of you. I know right now Trevor has a backlog he's trying to get through. So plan on a couple months. You can ping him for updates but remember he's a one man show. The quality he produces is well worth the wait. I'm about to order another cable and I know I'll see it maybe by the end of April...

According to Trevor (about two weeks ago), that is no longer true:

"...we have a huge volume and demand and are working on rectifying long waits with more added labor.
However that labor requires training and a learning curve, hence speed increase wont happen instantly unfortunately."

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #1,888 of 6,511
That's great news. Glad to hear he's scaling up. How's he going to clone himself? That may get weird...

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #1,889 of 6,511
One thing I learned from reading many cable maker threads here, is that you gotta go in with with a patient attitude. Let them do their thing. It's ok to wait months for custom hand made cables. This is my first aftermarket cable. Ordered mine at the very end of Black Friday sales. It's ok to ping for an update, but stay chill :p Got a reply from him yesterday. Mine's ready. But I'm ready to wait some more because it's gonna get further attention now. It's being sent to Empire Ears for a matching flush fit with my beloved Empire Zeus XIV ciems.

But I'm telling you guys, once I'm getting it all back... it's gonna be a most glorious day for me. Matching black and red leather Dignis case enveloping a Onkyo DP-X1, balanced Norne Cables that match the color scheme with a matching wunderbar Zeus ciem. <insert George Takei "Oh myyyyy">

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #1,890 of 6,511
Just ordered the Draug 2 for my new Ethers. Can't wait to see how this comes out in Trevor's skilled hands...definitely a pattern going here, new headphones, new cable. Anyone ever go the other way, order the cable and then headphones to match? Hmmmm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back