O2 vs TOTL
Jun 16, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #513 of 582
I recently got the O2 + ODAC for use with my LCD2 (Q cables) in my study. Compared to my Dacport LX + WA6SE, it does not sounds as big. However, I DO NOT find the bass/ punch lacking. O2 + ODAC sound cleaner/ clinical, which I enjoy as a contrast to euphonic tube sound. Sounds especially good with classical music and Piano solos. Also want to mention that i bought this adaptor: http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/cables/mjs-mini-jack-to-6-35mm-jack-socket-cable/ It is a significant upgrade from the Grado mini adaptor. Highs are better, bass less boomy and better seperation/ clarity. Something for O2 users to think about.

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #516 of 582
Quote:
Is there any difference soundwise a 3.5mm plug has to 6.5mm? 

Only of one or the other is defective. If both are in good working condition and not severely corroded (nor the contacts inside the jack) then they will not affect the sound. It is my understanding that the resistance and capacitance of the plug/jack are negligible with respect to all the other parts of the signal path.

Cheers

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #518 of 582
The O2 is an excellent studio tool because it is completely flavorless and bland sounding. It's not fun to listen to at all but it's extremely accurate to the source.

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #520 of 582
Jul 16, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #522 of 582
It is not more or less fun to listen to than lossless audio files or most non-faulty cables.

You're wrong. The purpose of those items is explicitly to remove source processing or equipment flavor to the mix. There are no situations where something outside the norm is better with those items.

Mixed music is usually balanced and flattened out during mixing with the intent that the person will add their own flavor with their equipment when they listen to it. It sounds much different from the actual live performance. Mixed music is like a saltine cracker where you are expected to add your own toppings or flavorings; on its own, it is just a bland cracker.

Listening to the Objective 2 is like eating a bland cracker. I know, because I owned one for over a year and just sold it like a week ago. It is entirely flavorless by itself. Some people like listening to it that way, but I don't, and IMO, most music was not intended to be listened to 100% uncolored.

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #523 of 582
Mixed music is usually balanced and flattened out during mixing with the intent that the person will add their own flavor with their equipment when they listen to it.

Do you have a citation for this? Im pretty certain most music is mixed to sound correct when reproduced in high fidelity---this means exactly without colorations. Hence the term "hifi" from which this forum derives its name "head-fi".... as a portmanteau of "headphone" and "hifi"

Studio recording are exactly that.... studio recordings. They are the artistic output of the recording artist and mastering engineer. If you want a live sound, you should have purchased a live recording of the music.

Of course you are at liberty to color your music any way that pleases you. But you are doing the community a great disservice by slandering a device for being high Fidelity when, in fact, this is a hifi forum. :)

Cheers!

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #524 of 582
Quote:

<snip>

Mixed music is like a saltine cracker where you are expected to add your own toppings or flavorings; on its own, it is just a bland cracker.

Listening to the Objective 2 is like eating a bland cracker. <snip>

You make an interesting point, but I suppose the advantage of being a bland cracker is that you have the ability to vary the toppings.

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #525 of 582
Quote:
Some people like listening to it that way, but I don't, and IMO, most music was not intended to be listened to 100% uncolored.

That's what the headphone and tone controls, or in general signal processing, is for. Sure, some might prefer the noisy and distorted output of a certain tube amp, but that's just personal preference that has nothing to do with high fidelity.

I am fine with someone preferring something audibly less accurate, to each his own. If you think it sounds flavorless and bland maybe you should switch to better recordings, but even then you might be used to something with more coloration.

@ab initio: Yes, good recordings are mastered on systems that are equalized to be flat, have low distortion etc. Some might still prefer changing the frequency response or adding nonlinear distortion or some such.
Being able to enjoy music, at least to me, has nothing to do with that btw. I can enjoy a great song on a kitchen radio, but when I need to hear all details it just fails. Similarly, when I visited a friend who has nice speakers but a tube amp I was able to enjoy the tracks I brought, but in terms of distortion it reminded me of ear-buds. If this were a feature than can be disabled like tone controls I'd say "yes please", but as a permanent "feature" it's just plain annoying after a while. It's like being forced to wear rose-tinted glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back