Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Jan 15, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #391 of 7,492
The last time I change a tube was on the 23rd of Dec 2019.... on Studio Six. I never had to change a tube again.

I use Oblivion to watch movies. I use it to listen to music. All I had to do was turn it on. That's how it should be. :)

Last time for me was several years ago!

Yes tube rolling is addictive, but really all it is is getting different effects from using different tubes at different operating points.

What I really look for these days is transparency and realism, like having a band like Fourplay...(insert your preferences here...), in your sitting room, a few inches from your ear... (that might be difficult in my average sized room).

Jan 15, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #392 of 7,492
That's interesting, at first glance I thought that was the WA33. I'm curious to know what is your concept behind this design - just because you prefer this appearance or is there any other benefits vs. the Citadel?
Also that sure will be interesting to see a comparison between the Citadel based amp and the WA33, after you've had time with it. I see you also have a GSX MKII, makes me wonder why you would even want anything more with those both (I've tried both and can never forget the astonishing sound). How long is your wait for the Ultrasonic Studios amp?
Yes, I simply prefer the chassis aesthetics and silver color over the black Citadel shown on the Ultrasonics site. That's not to say I wouldn't have purchased the Citadel on the site if I couldn't have the one I ordered, because it is very appealing, and even mores so since the tube rearrangement IMO.

I'm also very interested in the topology (to the extent of my understanding) used in the Citadel and its simplicity which makes me wanting to hear it even more, especially at its price point and not having to spend thousands on tubes. I also appreciate the hybrid design and each component specifically doing what it's meant to do.

It's not that I want anything "more" it's just that I enjoy trying different things. I've mentioned this when I sold my Stax 007mk2/009 & BHSE (which most couldn't understand at all). After owning something for a good amount of time I tend to get too use to whatever it may be and bored and I like to move on and try other things, it's part of the hobby for me.

Also, don't get me wrong, I enjoy my WA33 & GS-X (GS-X is never going anywhere) very, very much, more than any other amps I've owned, but I don't know where the Citadel is going to lead me after listening to the differences between the three, so this peaks my interest and curiosity as well as giving me something to look forward to doing...again as part of the hobby for me.

like having a band like Fourplay
Huge fan of Fourplay!

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #393 of 7,492
The last time I change a tube was on the 23rd of Dec 2019.... on Studio Six. I never had to change a tube again.

I use Oblivion to watch movies. I use it to listen to music. All I had to do was turn it on. That's how it should be. :)

The Oblivion is a mighty fine workhorse. You don’t feel bad for buying tubes because they are cheap, you don’t feel bad using up the tubes, because they are cheap, and the topology of the amp allows you to run them for a long time. What’s not cheap is the sound, detail, and transparency. I’m enjoying the Focal Elex on the Oblivion and don’t find it bright at all. I think most of the Focal lineup will pair up quite nicely with this amp. I still wouldn’t replace the tone and timbre of the Auteur with the Focals.

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #394 of 7,492
It's the weekend ! As soon as I got home, I fired up GOTL and Oblivion. Keen to have another listen of them side by side.

GOTL is sporting the famed Tung Sol 12SL7GT black glass round plates and 6 x 6BX7gt of the RCA and Sylvania varieties. I have not heard GOTL for some time and when I heard it now, I can see why I call it my end game amp a little over a year ago. Astonishing dynamics and caressing vocals with a mid bass to die for. I could fall in love again.

Then I swap over to Oblivion and I can't believe the width of the soundstage and the immediacy of the musical notes. It's literally dancing across my head. The fast transient attack, the arresting sustain at it's peak and swiss watch precision timed decay, makes you want to tap every part of your body..... if that is possible.

So like @joseph69, gear will come and go for me.... and I'll very reluctantly put GOTL on sale this weekend. Someone's going to be very happy with it and the choice tubes that I'm offering with it.... plus it has 7 new octal sockets, some caps and resistors replaced. It's like a new amp just having been health check. :)

Jan 17, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #395 of 7,492
You don’t feel bad for buying tubes because they are cheap, you don’t feel bad using up the tubes, because they are cheap, and the topology of the amp allows you to run them for a long time.

I go on ebay and it's mainly Bangybang that's selling 6AV6 tubes and he's selling them for US$84 a pair !!! Like these nice Tung Sol :) https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Vinta...ube/303387834642?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

How could he sell my tubes for so much? I thought these are TV sweep tubes :ksc75smile:

EL81 ain't too bad. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EL81-6C...ble/201614272202?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Jan 17, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #396 of 7,492
I go on ebay and it's mainly Bangybang that's selling 6AV6 tubes and he's selling them for US$84 a pair !!! Like these nice Tung Sol :) https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Vinta...ube/303387834642?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

How could he sell my tubes for so much? I thought these are TV sweep tubes :ksc75smile:

EL81 ain't too bad. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EL81-6C...ble/201614272202?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144
Don't buy those 6AV6's, way overpriced. Good price on the EL81's though!

It's the output tubes I use that are TV sweep tubes. The 6AV6's triode section is a regular voltage amplifier. There's also a couple of diodes inside which I don't use. The triode section is basically identical to half of a 12AX7.

Jan 17, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #397 of 7,492
A very good octal input tube would be soviet 6G2, it has µ of 100, perfect curves and a beautiful metal envelope. Price is decent. Just ground the diodes.

Attachments

• 6V6 curves loadline.jpg
    6V6 curves loadline.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 6V6 curves loadline 2.jpg
    6V6 curves loadline 2.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 0
Jan 17, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #398 of 7,492
TV tubes as a class are going up in prices, and fast.

Just look at the "first discovered" american compactrons. They're well over 40 USD a piece now. I was lurking the legendary sweep tube thread on another forum from the beginning, they used to be almost given away for free back then.

Things change.

European TV tubes are still mostly decent priced, and soviet tubes surely are. Better get a stash before the soviet stigma (which is not in reality related to the actual quality, but the image) is finally lifted. Hopefully not for years.

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #401 of 7,492

Oh, you can ask me, @UntilThen, and the rest of the guys in any of the tube rolling threads about "Bangy Bangy Tubes". From marking on tubes that looked to be added on, to selling cheap tubes at a huge mark up because they're "Platinum grade", to a bunch of other shady practices. That guy is something, lol.

All of the tubes on the Oblivion were reasonably priced that I thought I was getting away with murder after the purchase. Especially after spending $500 for a pair of GEC 6AS7G power tubes. Yeesh...

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #403 of 7,492
Jan 17, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #404 of 7,492
I was talking to Sonic that I could be interested in a Citadel later if some chucky nice linear tubes could be found for the output stage and perhaps I could use my beautiful pair of Tung Sol 12SL7GT black glass round plates for the input stage or any of the nice 12SL7GT variety. And.... if the amp could squeeze a bit more power output to about 8 watts into 8 ohms or more... :)

Sonic says it's possible with a bigger output transformer which means a bigger chassis with cooling heatsinks. Then he show me this chassis ! That's some serious chassis. :)

DSC_8086-600x600.jpg

This is the sexy black glass of which I have a NOS pair.
s-l1600 (41).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back