Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Jan 31, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #481 of 7,492
I've been using Schiit Wyrd with Yggdrasil because I'm not going to spend another cent upgrading Yggy but I bought a Schiit Eitr for cheap recently .... like AUD150 because no one wants it now. Now this does make a difference to the sound and it's noticeable. :)

IMG-5046.jpg

Jan 31, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #482 of 7,492
I want to go fully balanced with Citadel because my new found fan wants to buy my Oblivion. I say 'not so fast hosey'. Let me enjoy Oblivion for at least 6 months !

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #486 of 7,492
I can't believe I spend 3 hours listening to music with this combo. The last hour is with speakers. One more pic before I go and see if the bush fire is at the door.

IMG-5047.jpg

Feb 1, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #488 of 7,492
Great, I like Sweden. Well, when you'll build an amp for KT88/77/66 with some tube rolling possibilities I will make myself a present. I'll test it with this song:
You can view my amps as detox for the tube rolling addict! Come here when you're ready to kick that addiction! :wink: It worked for me =)

Feb 1, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #489 of 7,492
You can view my amps as detox for the tube rolling addict! Come here when you're ready to kick that addiction! :wink: It worked for me =)

Detox is good and will make me rich when I'll sell my tube collection. The only problem is that, until I sell it, I have to find the sonic signature I want, and to do that I'll need to roll some stuff. I do not quite like the "standard" sound everyone searches. :wink:

Feb 1, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #490 of 7,492
Detox is good and will make me rich when I'll sell my tube collection. The only problem is that, until I sell it, I have to find the sonic signature I want, and to do that I'll need to roll some stuff. I do not quite like the "standard" sound everyone searches. :wink:

I use to depend on tubes heavily. I lost count of how much I spend on good NOS tubes. Now I haven't bought a single tube for 3 months. There are so many other ways to tune your system other than with tubes. DAC and headphones / speakers will tailor your sound more than with tubes. I have not miss rolling tubes. If I do need another sound signature, I can swap headphone amps but I hardly use Studio Six now because Oblivion sound more airy, spacious and the details are intoxicating.

I doubt anyone will have my 'standard' sound because my Axis Voicebox S is a niche product. There are 2 other pairs of bookshelf speakers I can swap. As for headphone, I'm rather content with Verite. Besides I find myself transitioning to speakers.

I'm rather tempted by some bookshelf speakers at bargain price but I don't want to buy and hoard speakers like I do with tubes. Here are some examples in the classifieds.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/300964-fs-acoustic-energy-ae301-bookshelf-speakers/

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/300965-fs-infinity-reference-162-bookshelf-speakers/

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/300963-fs-elac-debut-20-b52-bookshelf-speakers/

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/301024-fs-usher-s-520-speakers-piano-black/

and NAD M51 that is screaming 'buy me' ! I had this DAC before but sold it but it's very good especially at that price. https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/301075-fs-nad-m51-dac/

So yeah I'm wean of tubes now. :)

IMG-5055.jpg

Feb 1, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #491 of 7,492
Detox is good and will make me rich when I'll sell my tube collection. The only problem is that, until I sell it, I have to find the sonic signature I want, and to do that I'll need to roll some stuff.

There is a certain logic in this statement, it's true. But let me propose something else to consider: why not stop the search for the signature YOU want, and instead opt for maximum transparency and then enjoy the sonic signatures the ARTISTS wanted you to hear?

Transparency, i.e. allowing the liveliness of the original signal to simply come thru UNALTERED is the ultimate tone of them all. Then all you need is music and artists you enjoy, which is in my opinion more fun to try and find than finding the tube you like in a certain specific circuit.

Opinions may vary of course.

I do not quite like the "standard" sound everyone searches. :wink:

Oh boy, you are IN LUCK my friend! EL36 and especially it's Russian equivivalents which Sonic uses in his products are definitely completely outside the mainstream no matter how you look at it. Totally out there.

Feb 1, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #492 of 7,492
There is a certain logic in this statement, it's true. But let me propose something else to consider: why not stop the search for the signature YOU want, and instead opt for maximum transparency and then enjoy the sonic signatures the ARTISTS wanted you to hear?

Transparency, i.e. allowing the liveliness of the original signal to simply come thru UNALTERED is the ultimate tone of them all. Then all you need is music and artists you enjoy, which is in my opinion more fun to try and find than finding the tube you like in a certain specific circuit.

This is the best answer. This is what we should strive for and Oblivion has provided that for me. No wonder I'm so hooked on exploring music now despite having no tubes to roll. :)

Feb 1, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #493 of 7,492
There is a DAC (for god know why!) that outputs 3V for RCA and 6V for XLR.
is it compatible with your amps inputs?

Feb 1, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #494 of 7,492

Opinions may vary of course.

This is a statement I would definitely agree with, if we would live in a perfect world where all records are perfectly produced, where all musicians would have money and conditions to record everything as they would like and if all musical genres would sound the same on the same setup. But unfortunately, in my case, I prefer to have the option of rolling in order to alter in some way some recordings. I know this is not the most desirable process for purists or electrical designers but for me, it is a nice thing to do. Music is not mathematics, it is art, and our brain might perceive it in different ways depending on mood and other factors.

Anyway, Oblivion and Citadel seem to be solid offerings, and I will think and consider them a possible future upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back