OCD or not? Different perception on one ear...
May 6, 2024 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Lucabeer

Head-Fier
Hello all,

I don't even know if this is the right place to discuss this, but since I exclusively use closed over-ear headphones, it was worth a try.

In the last month, I have been troubled by ringing in the right ear when using headphones (the Denon AH-D7200 to be precise). Well, it's not actually ringing as in acuphene. It's as if my whole ear vibrates, the external ear I mean. I feel the vibrations, and I find the movement of air fatiguing on the ear flap. As if the outer ear resonated, as if it was "tickled". A "pulsation". It also happens with mono music, so it's not a matter of asymmetrical mixes.

At first I thought that it was channel imbalance, that the right cup of my new Denon had some unwanted resonance, that its boomy bass was more exacerbated on that side. So, I decided to reverse my Denon: I exchanged the cable plugs, and wore the left cup on my right ear, and the right one on the left ear (so that the soundstage is not altered). I also rotated the cushion pads, so they are still angled correctly. And guess what? It's still the right ear that feels the throbbing bass more, that feels "tickling" and vibration.

So it's definitely not channel imbalance or resonance in the headphone cup... It's "oversensitivity of my right ear".

Does it sound crazy? Has it ever happened to someone else? Does it go away?

At least I have discovered that with the reversed headphone, it sits more comfortably on my head!

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 6
Hello all,

I don't even know if this is the right place to discuss this, but since I exclusively use closed over-ear headphones, it was worth a try.

In the last month, I have been troubled by ringing in the right ear when using headphones (the Denon AH-D7200 to be precise). Well, it's not actually ringing as in acuphene. It's as if my whole ear vibrates, the external ear I mean. I feel the vibrations, and I find the movement of air fatiguing on the ear flap. As if the outer ear resonated, as if it was "tickled". A "pulsation". It also happens with mono music, so it's not a matter of asymmetrical mixes.

At first I thought that it was channel imbalance, that the right cup of my new Denon had some unwanted resonance, that its boomy bass was more exacerbated on that side. So, I decided to reverse my Denon: I exchanged the cable plugs, and wore the left cup on my right ear, and the right one on the left ear (so that the soundstage is not altered). I also rotated the cushion pads, so they are still angled correctly. And guess what? It's still the right ear that feels the throbbing bass more, that feels "tickling" and vibration.

So it's definitely not channel imbalance or resonance in the headphone cup... It's "oversensitivity of my right ear".

At least I have discovered that with the reversed headphone, it sits more comfortably on my head!
The left and right ears are always different in structure. Some people have it more so than others. Your right ear can be physically smaller than the left and so more susceptible to air vibrations. Ever try on-ear headphones?

May 6, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 6
Hello all,

No it’s not crazy at all
How old are you if you don’t mind me asking?

You should be very careful with your hearing.
Our ears can and are different when it comes to sensitivity for both.

Also please explain the ringing. Is it in ear? As with the eardrum?
You said the external ear and I’m confused.
It’s not tinnitus is it?

Does it stop when you stop listening to music and take the headphones off?

Cheers

May 6, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 6
I am 50, and it's not tinnitus. It's not in the ear canal, not on the eardrum. It's on the outside of the ear, the carthilagenous part. And of course it stops when I am not listening to music. It's not much a ringing... But it's as if I am feeling air vibrations on that right ear. It might also be because this pair of Denon AH-D 7200 (which replaces the previous one) still has hard-ish pads, and the seal is not as good as the previous (worn) ones.

I admit that I usually play at quite high levels, ahem...

I have been using headphones for 20 years now... but it's only happened recently.

May 6, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 6
The left and right ears are always different in structure. Some people have it more so than others. Your right ear can be physically smaller than the left and so more susceptible to air vibrations. Ever try on-ear headphones?

Yes, but I don't like the pressure on the ears (I wear glasses).

May 6, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 6
well then its ocd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back