Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Aug 3, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #9,526 of 10,664
Yeah you right. At the end of the day that's good even if the scroll wheel is like one millimiter higher. Anyways let me know if the swapping went good or not, thanks.
And no, I didn't have any kind of problem fitting the screen into the new front plate. So, no, the 5th gen screen is not higher than the 6/7 gen, at least in my experience

Tried it and it doesn't work. Both Classic & 5th gen Video clickwheel shells have little nodules under the Play, Menu etc buttons. When a button is pushed, the nodule pushes onto the switch on the logic board. The Classic's nodules are shorter and don't have enough reach to make contact with the switches on the 5th gen logic board.

Here's some more info :
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/off...-ssd-mod-thread.566780/page-342#post-11347350

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #9,527 of 10,664
Tried it and it doesn't work. Both Classic & 5th gen Video clickwheel shells have little nodules under the Play, Menu etc buttons. When a button is pushed, the nodule pushes onto the switch on the logic board. The Classic's nodules are shorter and don't have enough reach to make contact with the switches on the 5th gen logic board.

Here's some more info :
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/off...-ssd-mod-thread.566780/page-342#post-11347350
Very very useful to know, appreciate a lot! So I think I'll leave the original clickwhell, who cares.. So in a few days I will order the new slim back panel, a new thin 3000mah battery and the iFlash adapter, the quad version in order to use micro sd. When I have everything mounted I will let you guys know if everything is fine

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #9,528 of 10,664
For those interested, I just built a 2TB iPod Classic 7G using a Samsung msata SSD pulled from a T5 external drive and coupled with Tarkan's latest adapter and a 3000mAh battery. I am using Rockbox for music listening and the original firmware for movie watching. I have over 970GB of music and movies on it so far. I have been using it for over a week now and everything works perfectly.

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #9,529 of 10,664
[QUOTE. I have been using it for over a week now and everything works perfectly.[/QUOTE]
Nice! I am using the micro SD cards, everything is working perfectly, only updating the database in Rockbox gives me some problems. Is this working on your iPod?

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #9,530 of 10,664
I don't use the database. I copy the music directly on the drive and use the "files" option. I used the database a long time ago and remember that it was taking too long (for me anyway) to load.

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #9,531 of 10,664
I don't use the database. I copy the music directly on the drive and use the "files" option. I used the database a long time ago and remember that it was taking too long (for me anyway) to load.
Most of the time I use the file option as well. Only to create playlists by genre, the database option is a nice feature. By the way, I always wanted to shuffle all music, always thought this is not possible. If you are interested, it is possible: just open the rock box config in text editor, and then increase the maximum playlist item number to whatever you like. I have a playlist containing all of my 95,000 songs, which is playing most of the time in shuffle mode :wink:

Aug 18, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #9,533 of 10,664
For those interested, I just built a 2TB iPod Classic 7G using a Samsung msata SSD pulled from a T5 external drive and coupled with Tarkan's latest adapter and a 3000mAh battery.

Whoa, that's a nice set-up. Do you encounter heat issues, as reported with mSATA drives? It also would be interesting what runtime you get.

Nice! I am using the micro SD cards, everything is working perfectly, only updating the database in Rockbox gives me some problems. Is this working on your iPod?

There are tools which can build the database on computer. I have the backup of my music collection inside the UI Simulator folder and build everything (database, pictureflow, playlists...) on my computer and then transfer the files to the iPod.

Aug 18, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #9,535 of 10,664
Whoa, that's a nice set-up. Do you encounter heat issues, as reported with mSATA drives? It also would be interesting what runtime you get.

I don't encounter any heat issues. I've heard that when transferring large batches, msata drives tend to overheat. So when I transferred all my music on it, I didn't take any chances and I strapped the iPod to an ice pack with a rubber band. With that, the iPod didn't even come close to getting warm. As for the runtime, I didn't do any tests but I can say that it lasts for a very long time, considering that I listen only to WAV files and keep the display on all the time.

Aug 20, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #9,536 of 10,664

There are tools which can build the database on computer. I have the backup of my music collection inside the UI Simulator folder and build everything (database, pictureflow, playlists...) on my computer and then transfer the files to the iPod.

Alternatively you can create a hard-link to your music folder within your rockbox sim disk folder (so you can just have one copy of your music library in what might be a more logical place in the directory structure). Note, in windows a hard-link is slightly different from a shortcut, a shortcut won't work.

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #9,537 of 10,664
Alternatively you can create a hard-link to your music folder within your rockbox sim disk folder (so you can just have one copy of your music library in what might be a more logical place in the directory structure). Note, in windows a hard-link is slightly different from a shortcut, a shortcut won't work.

Didn't know that. That's certainly a very useful information.

Aug 23, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #9,538 of 10,664
So ... I bought an ipod 6th gen 80GB with the intention of modding it. But I didn't know there were those file transfer issues with Rockbox, should have researched more :frowning2:
My intention was to add a iflash quad and at least 4 or 500GB of sdcards. Should I stick with this model or should I get a 5th gen instead ? They seem to be easier to mod too ...
For now I have ordered
- ipod 80GB 6th gen
- iflash quad
- ifixit kit for the ipod
- a few sd cards

In the end I would also like to get a replacement back/Front cover so i don't know if i should get another ipod or try to use this one.

Any advice is welcome :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back