Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Nov 24, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #3,301 of 3,702
Nov 24, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #3,302 of 3,702
Hello tubers,

Last year I was tasked with a difficult choice between the Magni 3+ and the Vali 2+ (which had just released back then). It was my choice of first amp and I think I made the right choice going with a SS. This year I have procured the funds to potentially obtain the Vali 2++. I would like to try tube, even though this is a hybrid. Unfortunately, I have heard that the Magni 3+ and the Vali 2+/+ sounds nearly identical. This could be an issue since I don't want to shell out me hard earned dollaros on more of just the same. Even if I were to change the tube: I don't want to spend a lot on an aftermarket tube.

What r ur opinions, tubemeisters? Please be as unbiased as can be and let me know!

-cheese
I used to own a Magni 3+. I didn't like it very much. To me, the Vali 2, and the Vali 2+ sound very different, and better.

Nov 24, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #3,303 of 3,702
I used to own a Magni 3+. I didn't like it very much. To me, the Vali 2, and the Vali 2+ sound very different, and better.
Hmm, different and better. I also noticed that you run the 600s on them. I'll have to look more into comparisons. Thanks for the reply!

Nov 24, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #3,304 of 3,702
I have a Magni Piety on order. First solid-state amp I've purchased in many, many years. Be interested to see how it stacks up to the Vali 2.
Wouldn't it be a total trip if you liked the Piety more than your Voltsbangr (or whatever it's called):stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 25, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #3,307 of 3,702
Wouldn't it be a total trip if you liked the Piety more than your Voltsbangr (or whatever it's called):stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Please. It's Volkswagnr. 🤣

Would be interesting. But then I could sell the Volks and buy a pair of ZMF VC's....

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #3,309 of 3,702
@bcowen what kind of adapter is that for the cv4033?
It's a 12AU7 -> 6922 adapter. The 12AU7 / 12AT7 / 12AX7 all have the same pinout and heater wiring conventions, so an adapter with any of them on top should work. Note that I have the OG Vali 2 which uses the 6922 natively (as does the 2+). The 2++ uses a 5670 natively though, so a different adapter is needed for it. Note also that the CV4033 in native form has flying leads (long wires coming out the bottom) rather than pins. Pulse Tubes mounts the base to them so that they can be used like a regular noval tube.

Nov 27, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #3,310 of 3,702
It's a 12AU7 -> 6922 adapter. The 12AU7 / 12AT7 / 12AX7 all have the same pinout and heater wiring conventions, so an adapter with any of them on top should work. Note that I have the OG Vali 2 which uses the 6922 natively (as does the 2+). The 2++ uses a 5670 natively though, so a different adapter is needed for it. Note also that the CV4033 in native form has flying leads (long wires coming out the bottom) rather than pins. Pulse Tubes mounts the base to them so that they can be used like a regular noval tube.
Perfect, thank you! I have the 2+, just got thru rereading the Vali 2 tube rolling thread. I have a Tungsol 6sn7 w/mouse ears and it sounds really nice on good recordings, but, looking for a little bit more

Nov 28, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #3,311 of 3,702
New owner of a Vali 2++ and will like to seek some advice:

I have my PC hooked to my Modi Multibit hooked to the Vali 2++ (high gain) hooked to my JBL powered monitors.

Whenever I switched on or switched off my Vali, there will be a loud "Thud" sound from my monitors even with the volume control turned to zero. Is this considered normal behavior for the amp? Is it because I'm using it in high gain?

Nov 28, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #3,312 of 3,702

I have my PC hooked to my Modi Multibit hooked to the Vali 2++ (high gain) hooked to my JBL powered monitors.

Whenever I switched on or switched off my Vali, there will be a loud "Thud" sound from my monitors even with the volume control turned to zero. Is this considered normal behavior for the amp? Is it because I'm using it in high gain?
A pop or thud when turning on could be due to an initial DC offset still remaining after the muting relay turns on the outputs.

As a general advice, it is good practice to turn on the equipment in order of source first (computer in this case), then DAC, preamp, and finally power amp or powered speakers.
Also wait to turn on the power amp/speakers until the pre amp has finished starting up.

Turning off is done in reverse, so first turn off the power amp or powered speakers, then pre amp, then DAC, and last source/computer.

Nov 28, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #3,313 of 3,702

Loving my Vali 2++. The last post nails it. The Modi multibit is a great fit for the Vali 2++. I bought a JAN GE 5670W and it's setting in nicely.

Nov 28, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #3,314 of 3,702
A pop or thud when turning on could be due to an initial DC offset still remaining after the muting relay turns on the outputs.

As a general advice, it is good practice to turn on the equipment in order of source first (computer in this case), then DAC, preamp, and finally power amp or powered speakers.
Also wait to turn on the power amp/speakers until the pre amp has finished starting up.

Turning off is done in reverse, so first turn off the power amp or powered speakers, then pre amp, then DAC, and last source/computer.

The thing is I usually keep my computer, DAC, and powered speakers switched on 24-7, and I only switch off the tube amp because my cats love jumping on my table and I don't want them to be burnt by the tubes and possibly kicking out at it.

I was previously using an Asgard 3 and it was also left on pretty much all the time.

Can anyone tell if there is anything functionally wrong with my Vali? Or is it working as intended?

Nov 28, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #3,315 of 3,702
The thing is I usually keep my computer, DAC, and powered speakers switched on 24-7, and I only switch off the tube amp because my cats love jumping on my table and I don't want them to be burnt by the tubes and possibly kicking out at it.

I was previously using an Asgard 3 and it was also left on pretty much all the time.

Can anyone tell if there is anything functionally wrong with my Vali? Or is it working as intended?
To the best of my knowledge, Schiit pops. One of things I've been trained not to do is put my headphones on before I turn the Vali on. Annoying, sure. But a fact of living with a V2

BTW, your cats will only be burned by the tube once. once:wink:
johnny-dangerously-once.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back