Official v-moda bass freq appreciation thread...
Jun 7, 2009 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

AnAnalogSpirit

500+ Head-Fier
I'm curious, does anybody else have a sweet spot for these? I frankly love them. I haven't seen any other HEADPHONE on the market reach this deep (down to a true 8 Hz) and have nice sparkle (22 kHz) with good enough midrange that emulates a "club" atmosphere, including the deafening 120 dB rating. Amp that!! They can truly tickle the cilia!!

Fun Fun Fun!! I adore them at the gym, and call them my "traveling companions" pairing them with my FiiO E5, or when I'm feeling crazy enough to risk taking it outdoors, my iBasso T4.

"The 808 Kick Drum Makes the Girlies Get Dumb" ha ha... it sounds like there's a kick drum right in my head with these. I'll admit I have to treat 'em right, because they are PLASTIC (COME ON v-moda when are you going to release the "pro/connesoueir" version in _metal_!!) and I have squished them in the mechanism of the lounger of the couch. Ouch!

However it would be nice to recollect stories of what we like / dislike about these different little loudspeakers in a pint size package, albeit flimsy one, in this thread.

Why bother? I'm a recovering "Speaker Whore" and these wonders let me rekindle the joys of clubbing without the hassle of going out in the 'wild' with all that anarchy, AND, I get to do it with the fidelity of my FLAC files... COWON O2PMP, Headphone Amps, Interconnects, and IEMs... OK i will even slap on my Grados every now and again (gasp) but I always come back to these bad boys in bling bling black for the FUN of it!!

OH, and I applied the Fabric Diapragm Mod I invented, as well as core-ing out the port hole even larger to create open backed bass freqs... I will post to my head-fi blog soon. I know I know. I'm 'adventurous' to say the least!!

Jun 7, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 31
I had these and thought my Philips SHE9500's sounded better since the bass was similar, but the 9500 had better treble. The NE-7 is in a completely different league, so much more detail, deeper, more defined bass, and better balance. But then I did not modify them at all. And for that mod you should have pictures to go along with the steps IMO.

When I first got the V-Moda bass freq's I was happy, until I compared them to the 9500, and then when I got the NE-7 I sold them!

Jun 7, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 31
as well as a really out of date pic of me when i was young dumb and full of fun!!

ENJOY!

photo1.jpg

Jun 7, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 31
Had them once. For a few days, I kind of didn't mind their hot chocolate kind of thick richness in so much bass, then... they had to go - I preferred my sound sig more gin & tonic....

Jun 7, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 31
flacvest you say you havnt seen a headphone on the market reach 8hz? but even the most advanced human ear on the planet would struggle to perceive anything below 15hz ( and thats me being generous ).

dont let what the package says string you along mate.

but now saying that i do appreciate these things, they are good value for money.

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 31
I like to use my old pair (also black) with my PSP for movies. I always rip my own movies from DVD using a high bitrate, they usually end up just under 2GB in size. The Bass Freq do a great job of giving that big can movie sound (reminds me of HD485, great for movies) while still fitting into the small PSP case.

Downside: the left driver case is cracked, and I can open it and look inside. One of these days it is going to fall apart, then I'll miss these things. The cable is also terrible.

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 31
I have of course heard of 'phones reaching the sub-woof-ey 8 Hz. I suppose I wasn't perfectly clear with my written "voice" so thanks for pointing that out! I would like to also open this thread up to invite reccomendations for a more solid earphone or headphone capable of reaching 120 dB with only a portable amp like the FiiO E5 and iBasso T4 (which sound awesome daisy chained)!

Thanks for your input! Oh and if anybody is in or near San Jose / Silicon Valley please get in touch with me!!

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 31
Thanks for the pic, but I was thinking of several pics depicting the 26 steps in your mod! And I think the NE-7 has much deeper bass, at least it sounded like it went deeper with music!

Jun 8, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 31
Amazon.com: NuForce NE-7M Stereo Earphones / Headset (iPhone Compatible): Electronics

The V-Moda Bass Freq has sort of an annoyingly exaggerated midbass, so you're probably not even hearing nearly as low as the box says you should be because those frequencies are being overwhelmed by the midbass. The NE-7, while still have sort of a hump in the midbass region, should be a tad more neutral, thus allowing the lower frequencies to shine through more.

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACvest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What, pray tell is the NE7?? please post a link for me, I've never heard of these. I'm very !Qrious now...

I would consider this to be the "unofficial" NE-7M appreciation thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...5-09-a-383617/

Lots of good info there. I bought a set because of it which recently died BTW. Nuforce promptly got a replacement set in the mail though. I should get it early next week. I bought a $15 cheapie set of Sony MDR-EX36 "Bumpin Buds" to get me by at Target. They actually sound quite good for $15. To me, they have more bass impact than the NE-7s. However, the NE-7s are much better overall.

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the pic, but I was thinking of several pics depicting the 26 steps in your mod!

Any chance of pics of your 26 step mod being posted?

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpickr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They actually sound quite good for $15. To me, they have more bass impact than the NE-7s. However, the NE-7s are much better overall.

Are you getting a good seal with the NE-7? Bass lite is not something the NE-7 is IMO. Not that it isn't possible, but are you comparing at the same volume? If the Sony's have less mids/treble then you might be increasing the volume to get the same apparent volume, increasing the bass and bass impact?

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #15 of 31
not great pics of the ne7m, but there are some on this page. i have been hoping to hear the bass freq v-moda but maybe will not, who knows. i keep looking for them but have a hard time in Ko Re A. the ne7m are great, and for the price nearly the best if not the best in the market.

i wonder how they compare to the freq. i will do some more hunting around so i can listen to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back