Old music and crossfeed
Dec 27, 2005 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
I am listening to some old recordings like ABBA, Carpenters, Simon and Garfunkel, Crosby Stills and Nash, Steve Harley etc. and I am, for the first time, realizing that I might actually benefit from having a crossfeed as a part of my system. The sound is fantastic but I am not able to "relax" to it because sounds are coming from all over the place without focus. I am actually exerting myself listening to these CDs...I know that sounds weird but if you are listening to each and every thing when there is so much going on...it does get stressful after a while.

Perhaps a meier audio Corda Cross is justifiable
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone else suffer from anxiety attacks down to the lack of crossfeed?
eggosmile.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #2 of 5
I find myself needing a crossfeed on either my Porta Corda or SuperMacro when I'm listening to vintage Stevie Wonder or Tempations CD's. The only word I can think of that describes my listening is......strenuous. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who experienced this

Dec 27, 2005 at 7:45 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
Sometimes the effect is nice, like in Space Oddity.

Do cross freed devices help much? Or perhaps it sounds best with speakers.

I find that with speakers these old recordings don't sound bad at all, and hardly even sound remotely close to 'separated'. The problem is that headphones give an unrealistic sound stage and an unrealistic image. Especially on old jazz recordings, which are said to be awful by headphone listeners, when played on speakers they sound incredibly accurate and realistic, as if you're listening to them in their exact positions in the recording studio. After all, we know that musicians don't play in a balanced and equal setting when recording. Why should we listen to it that way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back