Open back, 1000 dollar, comfortable, headphones like the LCD-2
May 29, 2017 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

VocaloidDude

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for full size, open back headphones, in the 1000 dollar range. Comfort is of the utmost importance. My headphones I currently use are the Sennheiser HD650. I tried the Audeze LCD-2 once, but one of the drivers died in them so I returned them, they also hurt after prolonged periods of time.

I think the Audeze LCD-2 sounded better, in spite of it's deal breaking caveats. One of the things I liked about these headphones, is they give you the feeling of the sounds being right in the room with you more often than the sennheiser HD650, which only gives that feeling every now and then. The only pair of headphones which seem to be similar (based on the ultimate guide to metal headphones chart on head fi) are the kennerton odin, which are twice my budget.

I will be plugging these into the Magni 2 and Modi, but I would upgrade. Amplifiers are too confusing for me to even try to get into.

I live in the united states.

I don't get how people have a preference over one sound signature, like bass, treble, or midsection. I think they're all important, but I never cared much about having a ton of bass. I like the bass in my headphones to be tight and controlled, and punchy. I have a preference realism in the instruments, I like the feeling of lifelike imaging. I also like a wide sound stage, that's one of my favorite things about the HD650 is their wide open feeling.

I like a lot of different genres of music though, my favorite right now is classical. My preferences tend to be harsh and abrasive (I have found that the headphones people normally associate with "rock music" do not fit the harsh abrasive stuff I like). I also like folksy music. I like calm, spacy music like ambient or drone or drone folk. I like interesting ambient or microtonal music with a lot of stereo effects. My taste is all over the map, so a good "all rounder" would do. I don't care about pop music or dancy music, I will say that.

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #2 of 17
Just to clarify... do you want something with a wide soundstage or a similar sound stage to the HD650? Most people (including myself) don't exactly associate the HD650 with a wide soundstage, they sound quite lacking in that department in my opinion, not that it's a bad thing though...

May 29, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 17
Just to clarify... do you want something with a wide soundstage or a similar sound stage to the HD650? Most people (including myself) don't exactly associate the HD650 with a wide soundstage, they sound quite lacking in that department in my opinion, not that it's a bad thing though...
A wide sound stage would be nice, I suppose. I always heard that the HD650 had a very large sound stage, but I could be wrong. Let's not get hung up on that detail though, I can't accurately answer that question because I don't know.

May 29, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 17
Maybe the HD800? The HD800 has very nice and controlled bass, while it may be lacking in quantity, it sure as hell doesn't lack in quality. It also has a really wide soundstage and has a very realistic (maybe even hyper-realistic) attribute to it. It's definitely a lot more comfortable than the LCD 2. Only caveat is that it might be hard to pair them with certain brighter amps but to be quite honest it isn't something that EQ can't fix.

May 29, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 17
Maybe the HD800? The HD800 has very nice and controlled bass, while it may be lacking in quantity, it sure as hell doesn't lack in quality. It also has a really wide soundstage and has a very realistic (maybe even hyper-realistic) attribute to it. It's definitely a lot more comfortable than the LCD 2. Only caveat is that it might be hard to pair them with certain brighter amps but to be quite honest it isn't something that EQ can't fix.
I have considered these. The thing that worries me is that the reviews on them seem mixed. Innerfidelity seemed to dislike their sound, but like them for their detail and "microscope" clarity. I also use a magni 2, so I think that it probably will run them, I just don't know anything about "pairing amplifiers". There's also this chart which puts the HD800 as pretty basic for metal music. They do seem like a very tempting pair of headphones though, I have often deliberated on whether I would get these. It's just another pair of headphones to consider, and I have been deliberating on a decision for years.
w4B7F.png

May 29, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 17
The reason Tyll doesn't like them is due more to his personal preference of a certain sound signature and not due to the HD800 being bad. The whole pairing amplifier thing is rather finicky. Some people find the HD800 with some brighter amps to be a little too much as the HD800 is already quite bright as it is. However, like I mentioned earlier, if it really is too bright, a little bit of EQ works really well to tone it down a bit. It's not as if pairing the HD800 with a bright amp is going to make it sound terrible.

May 29, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #7 of 17
The reason Tyll doesn't like them is due more to his personal preference of a certain sound signature and not due to the HD800 being bad. The whole pairing amplifier thing is rather finicky. Some people find the HD800 with some brighter amps to be a little too much as the HD800 is already quite bright as it is. However, like I mentioned earlier, if it really is too bright, a little bit of EQ works really well to tone it down a bit. It's not as if pairing the HD800 with a bright amp is going to make it sound terrible.
How much stock would you put into a chart like that ultimate solution for metal chart? I think it was made in 2012 or something, but it still seems sort of useful. I don't know if I trust the guy though, as he seems to think that cables make a difference in sound. I think I've heard about blind tests that pretty much proves that cables are snake oil and do not change sound quality.

May 29, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #8 of 17
How much stock would you put into a chart like that ultimate solution for metal chart? I think it was made in 2012 or something, but it still seems sort of useful. I don't know if I trust the guy though, as he seems to think that cables make a difference in sound. I think I've heard about blind tests that pretty much proves that cables are snake oil and do not change sound quality.

While I personally agree with you that cables are a bunch of snake oil, I don't think that all his claims should be dismissed just because he has a different view on something. If you're not in a rush, why not try visiting the HD800 thread and asking a few questions there too. I'm sure there is someone there who listens to metal too that could probably help you out. Also, just because the list is old doesn't mean it's completely out of date. The HD650 was released a long long time ago yet is still quite highly regarded!

May 29, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #9 of 17
Check the Beyerdynamic T1.
It's a better all rounder than the HD800

May 29, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #10 of 17
You have a Schiit stack? If you must go with the HD 800, get the S version. Its more neutral with better bass (but not bass heavy). Not sure if what you have has enough power though. Schiit can be a bit bright, so pairing that with an HD 800 would be a bit much, especially since you are coming from HD 650 and LCD 2, which are the complete opposite.

Personally, I would suggest the HE-560. You can get a used one for cheap now, and I loved them for metal. The bass is tight, not bloated, and its a mix of the bright HD 800 and the smooth HD 650.

May 29, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 17
I think we might be missing the larger picture here. The OP seems to prefer warmer sound signatures, which is not where I would place the HD800 or HD800s. While it may not be "an upgrade", the Philips Fidelio X2 might be a move in the right direction for you, and they don't require obscene power. In fact, they work with most, if not all, portable devices. They have warmer sound signature, and pretty open sound stage. You'll definitely miss out on some resolution though.

I understand what you're going for, as it's the same quest I'm on, OP. I think it's going to come down to pairing the right amp with the right set of headphones. If memory serves, the T1 Beyers are also supposed to be on the bright side, but I haven't heard them myself, so take that for what it's worth. I haven't been able to test them my self, but from all impressions, the Hifiman HE-6 might bridge the gap between the features you're looking for, but I'd recommend pairing with a different amp. Maybe the Gustard H10, or if you want to shell out, the Violectric HPA V200.

May 29, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 17
I think you are in a tough spot with your budget actually, because you are under what I feel is the beginning of top tier headphones (HD800S, Ether Flow) and well above best of the mid-fi (Audioquest Nighthawk, Beyer DT1990) though IMHO the DT1990 could and should very well be end game for a large number of us. Though not everyone's cup of tea, the Focal Elear seems to be the champ at exactly 1k, and it might even work well with your current stack though you should look for some input from those who have actually heard it.

I have the DT1990 and love it, selling the Nighthawk even though I am a big fan, getting ready for the Ether Flow and I still might back and fill things in by adding the Elear to my small collection.

May 30, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #13 of 17
First off your HD650 is great, and just enjoy them, they are hard to replace. You don't need to spend a $1000 necessarily to get great sound.

But with what you have said here:

I I like the bass in my headphones to be tight and controlled, and punchy. I have a preference realism in the instruments, I like the feeling of lifelike imaging. I also like a wide sound stage, that's one of my favorite things about the HD650 is their wide open feeling.

... like a lot of different genres of music though, my favorite right now is classical. My preferences tend to be harsh and abrasive...
...I like calm, spacy music like ambient or drone or drone folk. I like interesting ambient or microtonal music with a lot of stereo effects.

You may very well like the HD700 which is incredible for microtonal music, classical and ambient. It does as well with Penderecki, Ligeti, as it does with Xenakis, Stockhausen and then with electronic ambient, field recordings and drone. And, it is so ridiculously comfortable.

I use it much more than my LCD2, as it is just more practical. It took a bit to get used to the more intense sound, but with the most dynamic recordings it is fine.

I had my heart set on an HD800, but ended up with the sets I have. The HD800 is excellent, great again with the right music. I've had a limited time with the HE560 but like its balance, comfort, and it could be more airy than the LCD2, may very well suit your preferences.

Perhaps one of the more accurate headphones I have is well under $1000 but old. It's a vintage HD250 Linear, a closed headphone that still presents realistic representation of room space. I prefer its presentation in many ways over the LCD2, HD650 and I would say it is even more 'correct' than the HD700. May be a bit too much bass for your tastes though. I imagine its open back versions - the HD530, 540 and 560 are even better in some respects, along with less but accurate bass.

Still, I go back to my first recommendation of the HD700. Incredible comfort and meets your preferences. Whether it will work for you, no one can tell you for certain. I feel it was misunderstood and a hate train starting moving on it early on but it has found its ardent supporters, many of which have more expensive headphones. While yes, aspects of its frequency range are dialed up, it presents sound vividly, and it presents sound more as if coming from outside the headphones - more realistic in this sense. The HD250, in contrast, is linear by design, but less vivid. Similar sounding in some ways to the HD600/650, but with more treble and bass.

For a great classical listen I'm more than happy to listen to either LCD2, HD700 or HD250, but more often it will be the HD700 for comfort and atmosphere.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #14 of 17
First off your HD650 is great, and just enjoy them, they are hard to replace. You don't need to spend a $1000 necessarily to get great sound.

This. I had the HD600 for seven years and never seriously considered getting something else, and I don't think I'd feel any different with the HD650. In fact, I EQ my HD600 to sound like the HD650 anyway - I trim the 3500hz peak and then boost the response below 50hz.

May 30, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #15 of 17
I'm sorry you said you liked the wide open soundstage of the 650's? I myself they have very little. The 700's have it in abundance but for me the 600's or 650's not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back