OT my new monitor
Aug 2, 2001 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

ai0tron

Banned
I just got a samsung 17" LCD. I must say that it is the best looking LCD I have ever seen! It is far superior to my trinitron CRT... AND much easier on the eyes. I heartily recommend this monitor to anyone looking for an LCD at a reasonable, albeit highish (as compared to an equivalent CRT) price. I thought CRT's were the kings of clarity, not so, the screen is bright and easily visible from off angle viewpoints. It also has a font smoothing feature that makes the little "jaggies" in system fonts go away!! For internet browsing, especially a forum like this the overall effect of the smoothing is very pleasant. It also gets much brighter than my CRT without washing out... It simply outperforms a CRT in all aspects. I can finally run at 1280x1024 without going blind from squinting!! The only downside is, as with good headphones, I am now going to be able to spend even more time in front of my comuter.

Aug 2, 2001 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 24
I'm using a 17" Sony CRT right now and was looking at the Samsung 17" LCD just the other day. You're right, it's a beauty.

I'm gonna hold off for a couple more years until the price drops however.

Aug 2, 2001 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

The only downside is, as with good headphones, I am now going to be able to spend even more time in front of my comuter.

Downside? More time at the comp = more time at head-fi/wize...

Aug 3, 2001 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 24
I still think it's hilarious that you consider yourself a poor college student, ai0tron...
rolleyes.gif

Aug 3, 2001 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 24
Aw man, I wish I were a poor college student
wink.gif

Anyways, isn't it Samsung that is contracted by Apple for their LCD monitors?

Aug 3, 2001 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 24
Being a poor college student isn't as bad as being a poor high school student that has to work multiple jobs to get more than 40 hours of pay. On the plus, I've just been promoted to Co-Assistant Manager at one of my jobs and now make $9 per hour regular and $13.50 on Sundays/holidays.

Aug 3, 2001 at 4:39 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Anyways, isn't it Samsung that is contracted by Apple for their LCD monitors?

Most of them, yes. Apple actually made a substantial investment in Samsung for this purpose as they are going LCD across the board.

I actually have dual 15" LCDs, and it's incredible 1) how much less space they take up; 2) how much less heat they produce than the 2 17" CRTs they replaced (same screen real estate, too); and 3) how clear and un-fatiguing they are compared to CRTs.

Aug 3, 2001 at 5:55 AM Post #9 of 24
Where are there good deals on LCD / flat-panels? I'd *LOVE* to have this one that I saw at a Fidelity office a while back.. shoot, they actually have 3 of them (and NOBODY ever uses them).

They're probably about 18 inches tall and 15 inches wide. Every time my wife and I walk past them, I stare through the window and say, "Man, I'd love to have those." What a waste of incredible computer screens.

If I could only convice the guys at the office that it would actually help me code twice as fast, and help me debug four times as fast..

Aug 3, 2001 at 3:12 PM Post #10 of 24
How are the images when stuff is moving around, ai0tron? Me and a friend had a discussion about LCDs a few days ago. He made the point that the screen was gorgeous... but only when things stood still. He tried playing UT on it, and when he was moving around, everything got too blurry to really play well.

Aug 3, 2001 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

How are the images when stuff is moving around, ai0tron? Me and a friend had a discussion about LCDs a few days ago. He made the point that the screen was gorgeous... but only when things stood still. He tried playing UT on it, and when he was moving around, everything got too blurry to really play well.

dhwilkin, I hear that criticism a lot from "gamers" but I can tell you it's a load of bull
wink.gif
I used to play UT a *lot* and it was never blurry, slow, or anything of the sort. It was clear and bright, and because it's an LCD, the fatigue is much less than with a CRT.

It could be that people who say this haven't used an LCD display in 5 or 10 years
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2001 at 2:50 AM Post #13 of 24
Neruda,

As long as I live in the living room of a duplex with 2 friends in the ghetto part of town I am going to consider myself a little less than well off. No I don't starve but I don't eat steak everyday either. I pay $180 dollars a month for rent. I would be surprised to find anyone here with a rent/house payment lower than that... Additionally we don't run the Heat in the winter, or the AC in the summer!! It's consistently about 85-90 degrees in my house in the middle of the night! That's a tad past comfortable! But I got myself an LCD monitor so I am perfectly fine with being hot in the summer and freezing in the winter!

EDIT:

PS: NO blurriness here whatsoever, I waatch DVD movies on my computer and they look FANTASTIC!!

Aug 4, 2001 at 2:27 PM Post #14 of 24
Hmm... LCDs... I'm not too excited by what I've seen... I like a large resoloution, and... well... up to now I haven't seen any that do?!?

My 17" Iiyama Vision Master Pro monitor does me fine... I'm running it at 1280 x 1024, and it looks pixel perfect.

What I would like to get though (if they are out yet??) is a Plasma monitor... although it would run hot, I think that that would truly be the bees knees (as long as you can have high resoloution screens?!)

Aug 4, 2001 at 3:08 PM Post #15 of 24
I believe there are many 17" LCD monitors that support up to 1280 x 1084. It's just that with LCD monitors, even if you choose a monitor with lower resolution, analogue-only inputs, etc., you'll still have a cost much higher than a CRT flatscreen, perhaps even with a digital input and higher resolution. But if you spend another $100 or so, you'll get all those features back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back