Over Ear headphones
Oct 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 8
Ive heard really good things about the audio technica m50's and i was wondering, are they THE BEST headphones for under $150?

The simple answer...... NO.

What are you looking for. Open, Closed, portable, home use? What music do you enjoy most or sound are you looking for?

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 8
I would use them at home and for long trips so they have to be very comfortable and have great bass but sound good with just about every genre. I mostly listen to hip-hop/rap alternative rock country doubstep etc. I want the over ear. Idk anything about opened or close headphones, whichever one sounds better I guess. And yeah I would like them portable but with a coiled cable reaching 6-10 feet that doesn't really matter to me though

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 8
I would use them at home and for long trips so they have to be very comfortable and have great bass but sound good with just about every genre. I mostly listen to hip-hop/rap alternative rock country doubstep etc. I want the over ear. Idk anything about opened or close headphones, whichever one sounds better I guess. And yeah I would like them portable but with a coiled cable reaching 6-10 feet that doesn't really matter to me though

Okay do you want open or closed.

Open means that they are vented on the sides so that the sound seems more realistic in size, BUT you hear everything around you and everyone around you can also hear what you are listening to. These are good for more quiet environments or perhaps when you simply want to be able to hear what is going on around you.

Closed is when the cup of the headphone seals off the outer world. The sound isn't as "airy" but you get listening environment that is less distracted and usually they can produce bass that open cans cannot quite hit.

I presume if you want to travel with them you want closed. The M50 would not be a bad choice for you in that case but best depends on you desired sound. It should be able to handle all of the music that you mentioned above and you can run them directly from an ipod. You might as well go for it especially since they can be had for $110 these days. Just be warned that the cable is almost 10 feet long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back