"Overpriced amplification is just as bad as overpriced cables in this "hobby.""
Jan 4, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #33 of 135
A case in point
While I was simming up some experimental designs under different load conditions I saw a good example of why THD is a crappy benchmark for sound.
nRmT5fU.png

kwXBW8a.png

Strangely enough both are almost the same THD.
I assure you the top one will sound better. A lot better.

Jan 4, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #34 of 135
Trust your ears

That's how we ended up with people in the 1990's claiming that painting the edges of CDs green and spreading little magical wooden discs about the listening room improved sound. So, no, I'm always a little skeptical of what I think I hear.

Jan 4, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #35 of 135
Some would maybe think that’s it’s the imperfections in an amp which would give it character. But in truth, the more expensive tube amps can at times get out of the way, doing their magic in very subtle and slight ways. I have always thought the more expensive tube headphone amps get closer to the transparency of solid state but add a slight musicality.

And.......much of this thought can come with large amounts of time spent listening and equipment matching. Spending a week or two with a nice solid state amp for headphones can start to reveal special attributes only capable with SS. For me anyway, I think every amp sounds slightly different, be it instrument placement or bass tone, every amp is a different canvas to display the source.

There's something about the warm glow of tubes that is appealing.

Jan 5, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #36 of 135
hh scott 222d.jpg
222d.jpg

I had this HH Scott 222D tube amp for headphones and speakers from 1995 till 2008 and just loved it. All original from 1964, worked perfect for everything. Then I found out about Head-Fi. I remember walking into a stereo store and they would demo stuff, and I would just smile, because I had all I ever needed at home.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #37 of 135
HeadAmpGSXmk2.pdf

If your interested in one of the best looking amplifier graphs here is gsx mk2. Look at frequency response, thing of beauty. Course this has nothing to do with preference.

Jan 6, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #41 of 135
90AD4BB2-1DD2-4304-A464-3CEB1C729DBD.jpeg

Jan 6, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #42 of 135
Let me guess, you will be selling tube amplifiers? Is this thread a marketing ploy for your new business/product?

Tube amps already have enough marketing. Most of the ploy in Head-Fi is folks shooting holes through stuff they simply can’t or will not let themselves afford, saying that it is all over priced nonsense.

The ploy is to themselves.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #43 of 135
Efficiency is a worthwhile goal I'd say. The problem with audiophiles is when they want to spend money on things they can't even hear when there's a perfectly acceptable inexpensive solution.

Jan 6, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #44 of 135
Let me guess, you will be selling tube amplifiers? Is this thread a marketing ploy for your new business/product?
As if I would stoop to that level. Besides, I'm not the thread starter. I was just speaking my mind.
I'll let my products speak for themselves. If they aren't "better" then there's no point, I have better things to do with my time than do marketing schemes. Also I will not specifically be selling tube amps, certainly not all tube. Hybrids and solid state.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #45 of 135
@coinmaster Interesting. Much of what you've said reminds me of what I've read from Jason Stoddard's serialized book on this forum. Jason also dislikes the high profit margins and high chassis costs in this industry, and co-started a company with a line of products to combat those problems. The only difference I see between what you've said and what I've read from Jason is that you are much more of a champion for tube amps.

Do you think Schiit amps, especially their tube and hybrid amps (pretty much every amp they sell except for the Magni and Asgard) are overpriced just like the rest of them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back