Pass Labs - HPA1
Mar 12, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #271 of 328
I’m trying to find a good system for me 😅
I like the pass labs very much and also the Okto. Both clean, the Okto extremely clean and pure, no warmth at all.

Where do you see warmth? The Arya stealth was a test, amazing but a bit tiring. Will return it.

I’ll keep the HD660S2 as neutral reference.

I’ll receive the Elite next week. Got it second hand and if not good amen and I’ll sell it.

My issue is fixing the amp - dac chain. I don’t know if the Lundhal transformer cables suggested by Okto will do sound quality wise.

I’m not keen on Ifi can in terms of appearance. Unfortunately for me aesthetic counts a lot.

I’ve been looking at Violectric V340 and V550. I read about the old V280 as a good one. Not sure if better than Pass. Perhaps a complement to it when going with digital music.

Mass Kobo are described as transparent and neutral and excellent. I wonder how the 433 would be versus the Pass Labs.
My comment was just referring to the fact that the HiFiman and Meze headphones are far from neutral.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #272 of 328
My comment was just referring to the fact that the HiFiman and Meze headphones are from neutral.
Oh I see. After longer listening I have realised that I need a neutral headphone and a fun one. For neutral I like both dt880 600 and HD660S2, hard to decide which one to let go but I think the latter is more complete.

As a fun headamp, the Arya stealth is fantastic. I hope the Meze Elite will be better since I got it second hand and can’t return it.

Mar 12, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #273 of 328
How long have you had your LP12 and Avalon Idea?
If I well understood you have experience with the Ferrum OOR / Hypsos combo. How would you value it vs the HPA1 with the Meze Elite?

Mar 12, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #274 of 328
If I well understood you have experience with the Ferrum OOR / Hypsos combo. How would you value it vs the HPA1 with the Meze Elite?
I don't like Meze Elite, so I couldn't really help you there.

Mar 23, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #275 of 328
I have just received the HE1000v2 and at first I have loved the sound.

I have tried it with the Pass Labs HPA1 as my Ferrum combo hasn’t arrived yet.

When trying on again the Elite the latter sound way more present and dynamic and engaging. The Elite has a grand Lavricables while the he1000v2 has stock cable, I don’t know how much this would impact on the comparison.
However, listening more carefully, the he1000v2 sounded way more precise and clean, but somehow the instruments were more far and flat.
At the same time I have felt some muddiness from the Elite which I have never perceived before.

As we can imagine, the perfect world would see the headphone being both clean and precise with great level of dynamics and engagement.

Will a Lavricables grand silver cable on the he1000v2 make a difference?
Or I need to do what I wouldn’t want to do, meaning getting the Susvara?

Or would the D8000pro be my solution?

Apr 12, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #276 of 328
I have just received the HE1000v2 and at first I have loved the sound.

I have tried it with the Pass Labs HPA1 as my Ferrum combo hasn’t arrived yet.

When trying on again the Elite the latter sound way more present and dynamic and engaging. The Elite has a grand Lavricables while the he1000v2 has stock cable, I don’t know how much this would impact on the comparison.
However, listening more carefully, the he1000v2 sounded way more precise and clean, but somehow the instruments were more far and flat.
At the same time I have felt some muddiness from the Elite which I have never perceived before.

As we can imagine, the perfect world would see the headphone being both clean and precise with great level of dynamics and engagement.

Will a Lavricables grand silver cable on the he1000v2 make a difference?
Or I need to do what I wouldn’t want to do, meaning getting the Susvara?

Or would the D8000pro be my solution?
Have you considered changing the DAC and keeping the HPA-1? For $3-$4k budget you could get some great stuff, enabling you to keep the amp snd headphones you know work together

Apr 12, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #277 of 328
Have you considered changing the DAC and keeping the HPA-1? For $3-$4k budget you could get some great stuff, enabling you to keep the amp snd headphones you know work together
I’m getting a holo spring 3 kte dac. I have received the Ferrum amp / LPS combo and it performs better than with the Pass for my taste. But still I’m not satisfied with the bass / low end of the HEKV2.

Apr 12, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #278 of 328
I’m getting a holo spring 3 kte dac. I have received the Ferrum amp / LPS combo and it performs better than with the Pass for my taste. But still I’m not satisfied with the bass / low end of the HEKV2.
Hifiman founder is on record as tuning his headphones with an elevated top end because that’s what his home country customer base was asking for. Perhaps that means you’re not going to get the bass you’re after from the HEKV2?

Apr 12, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #279 of 328
Hifiman founder is on record as tuning his headphones with an elevated top end because that’s what his home country customer base was asking for. Perhaps that means you’re not going to get the bass you’re after from the HEKV2?
I think so. And it’s a pity because beside that it’s really the perfect headphone for me and so well priced right now.

Jul 4, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #282 of 328
Been using the HPA1 this week with Schiit Multibit 2 dac.
Picked up my seldom use SENN HD 650s
Wow really forgot how well these cans are...with the MB2 dac and this amp..seldom have heard these cans work this well

Dire Straights....sweet..

Sep 26, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #283 of 328
Alright, the Arya stealth has arrived and… holy mackerel what a pair of headphones is.
Forceful and detailed are the first adjectives that pop in my mind.
Massive presence especially in terms of low end but not boomy. I had a black owl and that was boomy in my perception.

Listening with the Arya to Muddy Waters Folk Singer vinyl from analogue production I can those key points of the headphone. Immense presence, beautifully staged without being too wide, but definitely enough to make you feel the space and get immerse in it. Instruments separation is particularly well done on this pressing and the Arya stealth emphasises those quality. The strong attack is the other key point of the Arya stealth, at least if you listen to a record meant to give you those vibes.

Switching to HD660S2, good morning little schoolgirl sounds much more delicate, almost delicate, light and airy. While with the Arya you feel the gravitas typical of Muddy Waters in those kind of tunes.

Playing Led Zeppelin Untitled (IV) 2020 180g EU pressing the Arya create such a cozy and warm atmosphere emphasising the first part of the song’s mood. When the drums kick in the energy of the song strongly emerges and explodes with the solo and vocals, where the highs are greatly separated from the bass and never strident. The dynamic is just unbelievable. And it increases with the volume level. So if you don’t make your ears bleed (this headphone makes you want to do that) the whole presentation is smoother and calmer.
With the HD660S2 the presentation is more blended, way less separation.
With the Arya you really feel the black when an instrument is not playing. HD660S2 delivers a more relaxing and gentle presentation, not boring, but certainly not exciting. The Arya it’s like an IV of red bull!
I have the impression the Arya stealth might be fatiguing if listened to at high volume for a bit, at medium level I believe it’s going to be fine.

Playing Personal Jesus from the album Violator first pressing, the Arya has less slam than I would have imagined. Dave Gahan’s voice stays smooth and polished while the drums and synths are exciting as ever. Obviously the rhythmic heavy breathing is the part better emphasised by the Aria stealth.
The presentation of the HD660S2 is much more fluid, you don’t perceive all the tone variations and attacks the Arya can deliver. I don’t want to say the HD660S2 is monotone, not at all. It’s very organic but with less emphasis on the swings created by the electronic effects.

Last record before moving to digital is Michael Nyman with was I consider his best and more captivating piece: Memorial. From the album the Cook the
Thief his Wife and her Lover. This time I have started with the HD660S2 and I was surprised by the authority of the headphone to present all the power typical of Nyman and in particular from this piece. It’s not an amazing pressing in my opinion, I’m not an expert to tell what’s not perfect but definitely I hear better recording.
The Arya on this piece is surprisingly much smoother than expected till the explosion of the wind section with such deep and low horns.
The Arya is much more forgiving than the HD660S2, the record doesn’t show as many defects as with the Sennheiser. Therefore in this case is a more pleasant listening with the Arya, more balanced. The part with wind and string sections duelling (I can’t find a better expression) is just beautifully and gloriously rendered.

Time to poor my second glass of Delamain pale & dry OX cognac and switch to digital.
Yesterday I have received my new dac. It’s an Okto dac8 stereo which I was lucky enough to get after only 3 weeks having expressed the wish to Eliska from Okto research.

As the pass labs HPA1 is only SE I’ll have to use the dac8 headphone output since the Okto has strictly only balanced output. I have used also the headphone output of my Mcintosh MA5300 but preferred way more the Okto being clearer and more precise without being analytical in a sterile way.

Listening to Marvin Gaye’s let’s get it on the differences are less evident or let’s say the HD660S2 is a much better performer than with the pass HPA1. It’s much more brilliant and dynamic, and so is in proportion the Arya but the difference is as I said more attenuated.

Listening to My Girl from The Temptations again the HD660S2 is closer to the Arya in terms of instruments separation and highlights. Being a relatively poor record the HD660S2 shows again the flaws and in this case in particular the song is some time a bit fuzzy and distorted in the background.

Isn’t she lovely by Stevie Wonder is perhaps the song where I found the two headphones closer to each other. Both dynamic- one more than the other of course with big slams - and both quite forgiving.

Overall I’d say that the Arya stealth is a fantastic headphone, with great dynamism, detailed and precise but never over analytical. Definitely not relaxed. You can feel the slams hitting your head. I think it’s a fun headphone at the end. Beautiful to listen to but not for long unless you keep the volume down, it you can :wink:
The HD660S2 is in my very modest opinion an excellent headphone very balanced to keep as an almost neutral reference. If you want to get excited that’s not going to be your first pick hit it’s a safe and mature choice. I wish it was less expensive.

So at the end I think I will end up with the HE1000v2 stealth or the Meze Elite. Very possible I will end up with the second.

I really would like to know from someone who tried it if the Meze Elite is worth his price (I’d get it second hand anywya) or if I’d better go for the classic HE1000v2 stealth.

P.s.: Hope nobody will get offended by the roughness and basic level of my writing. Please forgive my novice experience in this charming world the headphone is.
I had the Elite. I prefer my HEK V2 Stealth.
I'm still using the HEK V2 Stealth. I actually have more fun with it than my Susvara.

Oct 15, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #284 of 328
Almost two years with the HPA-1 and its still one of my top tier headphone amps of all time.
Amps, come and amps go, this one it staying here until the "end" which I hope is not anytime soon!
:>)

D8000 Pros, with a Schiit Multibit dac....close to as good as it gets here.
Lovely sound!
Alex

Oct 15, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #285 of 328
I bought an HPA-1 a few months back and have really been enjoying it. It's one of the smoothest SS amps I've heard, with a large soundstage that can compete with even tube amps. Wasn't expecting just how 'smooth' it would sound, and by that I mean an overall sense of ease, naturalness and refinement across the board —not soft or slow. Add to that a wonderful preamp section and it's an amp one can easily use on its own, integrate into a current system, or even great to have on hand just as a reference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back