Passive headphone switcher?
Jan 30, 2009 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HiFi1972

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I've been lurking around for a while and have searched and found nothing on what I'm looking for, so I think I may have to build it (?)

I work with audio and use two (sometimes three) pairs of headphones to help me focus in on various frequencies. I'd like to not keep plugging/unplugging my cans in and out of my DA's headphone amp, and would like a simple switcher; something completely passive to avoid degrading the signal as much as possible.

If any of you are familiar with the Coleman Audio LS3 switcher, that's pretty much something I would like, except the LS3 uses dual 1/4" jacks for stereo, and I'd like this thing to use one 1/4" stereo plug for the input/outputs.

I've got some soldering experience but very little electrical. Can anyone recommend a unit that would suit my needs? If this isn't already available, can someone give me some idea as to what it would take to build? Thanks!

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for your replies. Last night I emailed Coleman Audio telling them how it would be great if they made a stereo 1/4" version of the LS3 and I got a reply from them saying that the unit already takes stereo 1/4", but if you use unbalanced jacks, it would then make the unit an unbalanced switcher. I feel like a dork, nice first post huh? Haha, oh well the good thing is that you guys have also given me alternatives; those LS3s are a little over a hundred bucks and it may be fun just DIYing one meself!
darthsmile.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 6
Scratch the 3.5mm jacks in my post, didn't see you wanted 1/4. Same idea though. I built one for myself with 3.5mm so I could connect one source to one headphone, but with two amps in-between that I could switch between. It's pretty messy though; I'm thinking about designing a PCB for it.

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 6
Do a seach here for switchbox for some ideas. There are many good rotary switches available; one such would be Electroswitch (search on that for series).

Here is a pictorial I ran across on my HD last night illustrating how to wire a rotary switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back