Pete Millett's Menace
Mar 4, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #107 of 118
Oh cool, this thread got bumped up. :)  Right now I own the Menace, so if you need any pictures let me know bidoux.  I think you'll like it a lot! 
biggrin.gif

Does anybody know things like the output impedance and output power of the amp?

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #108 of 118
Thank you for your offer n3rdling, but n_maher already uploaded some pics of the amp so I hope it won't be necessary. 
smile.gif

Actually, I am not building a clone of The Menace, the power supply for instance is very different (solid state and DC heater), I am not using the same input tube (ECC88). The similarities between my project and n_maher's are  :

- OTL
- relatively high output current (around 100mA I think)
- parallel 6080 (6AS7)

I have another question : in this picture (http://www.pbase.com/n_maher/image/96984139.jpg) how are the two caps attached to the chassis ? It seems that they are glued to it, but I'm not sure.

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #110 of 118
It was always Pete and I's goal to publish the design for private use so I'm glad - now I'm just hoping there's someone else crazy enough to build it! Also, if there's someone really crazy I'll provide information about an alternate power supply configuration that uses damper diodes instead of the rectifier types shown here. This disadvantage to that PS is that it would require an additional filament supply but it has other advantages that are worth considering.

Hello everyone :)

Pardon me for interupt in this "old" thread..

Thank you for all these nice information about this exciting amp - It was actually Mr. Pete Millett himself who gave me the link to this thread, after I had made contact to him regarding a headamp for low impedance phones :)

But I would like to se the schematics for the alternate power supply with diodes - Is that possible? 
I think that psu would be great for me :)

Best regards from 
Vingborg
 in Denmark

Sep 22, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #111 of 118
Anyone still running this amp? Any pictures of their completed amp?

Sep 23, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #113 of 118
Sep 24, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #114 of 118
Sure, I think pictures are already buried somewhere in this thread but this is mostly what it looks like.

119758378.jpg

Since then I replaced the open-frame choke with a Hammond unit to match the output transformers.

But on the inside, it still looks the same.
119758373.jpg

Apr 6, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #115 of 118
Sure, I think pictures are already buried somewhere in this thread but this is mostly what it looks like.

119758378.jpg

Since then I replaced the open-frame choke with a Hammond unit to match the output transformers.

But on the inside, it still looks the same.
119758373.jpg

Did you sell it? What did you move to ? I wonder how the menace compares to modern amplifiers.

Apr 6, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #116 of 118
I still have it. It did leave my possession for a while (sold to a friend who sold it back) and I'm glad that I reacquired it. How it compares to modern stuff? No idea really, best I can say is that I've owned a fair number of headphone amplifiers and both of the Menaces were competitive with high end gear. They lack some fancy features, being DIY, but from a pure performance standpoint punch pretty high.

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #117 of 118
Is it one chassis or two?

What other headphone amps have you owned ?

Apr 7, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #118 of 118
One chassis, a lot of effort went into signal vs. power wire routing to avoid induced noise.

I've owned too many to list, mostly DIY that I built. But I stopped building things years ago and haven't kept up because what I have is good enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back