Pete Millett's Menace
Dec 1, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #91 of 118
awesome job Nate. i love the G-10 epoxy glass and turrets. i used the same for my PS smoothing caps in my F5. any noise issues with the PEC pot?

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #93 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
awesome job Nate. i love the G-10 epoxy glass and turrets. i used the same for my PS smoothing caps in my F5. any noise issues with the PEC pot?

Nope, no noise issues so far. And the turrets are a really great way to do secure PTP layouts, I'll be using them on everything now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a really nice amp, congrats. Who made the output transformers? How does it sound compared to the menace? Specially since it has such a different topology.

The output transformers were made by Electraprint. As to how it might compare to the original, that's like asking me to compare my kids.
smily_headphones1.gif
What I can say is that the original was somewhat hit or miss with low impedance headphones and the Lite is much better suited to this duty both in terms of output impedance and gain. Without a doubt the Lite sounds better with my HF-2s, I can't say whether or not that impression would hold true with other headphones.

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #95 of 118
n_maher;6199603 said:
And the turrets are a really great way to do secure PTP layouts, I'll be using them on everything now.QUOTE]

x2. my friend who builds guitar amps turned me on to turrets. it's a really cool/fun technique to use and build with as well.

all 3 of the PECs i've recently used do have some noise from time to time.

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #97 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandbasser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are turrets???

These little guys.

Premounted on octal socket terminal boards
119231097.jpg

or

Individual terminal posts
119139789.jpg

And fish that's a huge bummer about the PEC pots, I'm hoping my luck is better.

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #98 of 118
The MenaceTC Lite seems like a really cool project, great work Nate!
Are you planning to share the schematic? I think I already have a lot of the parts needed, I have a C-14X choke sitting in a box and an Antek 1T150 power transformer from an aborted project. I also have some NOS 6AS7 and 6SN7 tubes that I got for free from a friend at work who is into HAM radio stuff

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #99 of 118
Dec 2, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #100 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coreyk78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you planning to share the schematic?

Yup, absolutely. I only have a rough hand-drawn version right now which does not include some essential information so I'd rather not post that. I'll try to put something together before the end of the year, feel free to remind me occasionally.

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #101 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, absolutely. I only have a rough hand-drawn version right now which does not include some essential information so I'd rather not post that. I'll try to put something together before the end of the year, feel free to remind me occasionally.

sweet!

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #102 of 118
Quote:

That's exciting. Can't wait...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #103 of 118
Quote:

nudge nudge...
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back