Petition: I would like the old site back (or other choice)
May 11, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #136 of 431

Quote:
Is it possible for someone in the administration or at Huddler to address some of these concerns? The slowness makes the site nearly unusable and the "deep profiling" makes me uncomfortable, to put it kindly. This is a community I care about and want to be a part of. However, accessibility is an issue and I also get the feeling that a fair bit of the community might not stick around.

What do you think Google does?  Just about every add-based service on the web uses your IP address to "profile" you, if you don't like it here get creative and find a way to mask your IP address, that's about your only choice.  If anything, Head-Fi's adds probably just caught up to the present tense.

May 11, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #137 of 431
now i know who is tracking my cookies !
cool.gif

May 11, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #138 of 431
May 11, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #139 of 431
"Huddler forms partnerships"

Partnerships usually involve contracts, contracts are hard/expensive to break.  Rolling back is probably not an option.  Jude will have to confirm that.

Based on someone's comment from the home theater forum being stuck in limbo for six months with no change, and changes 1.5-2 years from now 'promised', I guess there's little chance of short term improvements either.

It's a shame this wasn't prototyped and the community's opinion's collected before the cut-over took place.  I hope the community doesn't collapse over this.  If it does I'm sure someone else will step up and offer an alternative. 

May 11, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #140 of 431
Quote:
"Huddler forms partnerships"

Partnerships usually involve contracts, contracts are hard/expensive to break.  Rolling back is probably not an option.  Jude will have to confirm that.

Based on someone's comment from the home theater forum being stuck in limbo for six months with no change, and changes 1.5-2 years from now 'promised', I guess there's little chance of short term improvements either.

It's a shame this wasn't prototyped and the community's opinion's collected before the cut-over took place.  I hope the community doesn't collapse over this.  If it does I'm sure someone else will step up and offer an alternative. 

I agree...

May 11, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #141 of 431
This same kind of thing happened to CycleForums about 18months ago... they are now a failure of a board...

I agree, I have been a member of this forum for a LONG time, I would hate to see if fail over this. (me thinks its already too late) I dont spend NEARLY the time on here as I did pre-update. oh well, time marches on...

May 11, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #143 of 431
Agree, still the information that is to be found among members is too valuable to do without for the moment. The moment my listening set up is complete only the music forums and maybe some gear forums will be of interest. 

May 11, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #144 of 431

Quote:
This same kind of thing happened to CycleForums about 18months ago... they are now a failure of a board...

I agree, I have been a member of this forum for a LONG time, I would hate to see if fail over this. (me thinks its already too late) I dont spend NEARLY the time on here as I did pre-update. oh well, time marches on...

It really has impacted how I've been using the forum. I don't want to bitch about this too much, and absolutely no disrespect to Jude or the moderating staff, but it is very confusing and I really don't post nearly as much (perhaps a good thing). I am concerned.

May 11, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #145 of 431
Nate, I've nullified Google's tracking for years and use blocking programs whenever possible. I don't contribute to a forum (both money and content) in order to be datamined, sold to marketers and receive targeted advertising. I don't think we're going to see eye-to-eye on this matter, but "everyone else is doing it" isn't a very satisfying excuse.

May 11, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #146 of 431
I keep getting ads related to tourism australia, trying to make me visit australia.  I LIVE in australia :|

I do like the new site though, very modern and social-media-ey.

May 11, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #149 of 431
Quote:
Is it possible for someone in the administration or at Huddler to address some of these concerns? The slowness makes the site nearly unusable and the "deep profiling" makes me uncomfortable, to put it kindly. This is a community I care about and want to be a part of. However, accessibility is an issue and I also get the feeling that a fair bit of the community might not stick around.

Actually, regarding "deep user profiling," I contacted someone there to ask, as I was curious to know myself.  This is the answer I received:  "All it means is that we allow users to create a very in-depth user profile by allowing users to add lists, albums, custom profile questions, public messages, etc. all to their user profile.  It's all about end-user features and actually has nothing to do with advertisements or targeting."

I believe that's just what it means, as, in several of my teleconferences and e-mails with them, we focused a lot of attention on how the various sections of the site would tie into the user profiles.  That said, I hope they change the verbiage there, as I agree that it doesn't read well.

As for the ads:  I'll see what I can do to have some of these ones mentioned filtered out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back