Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 4, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #2,941 of 15,268

Interesting. Hear everybody saying that. Even people who never believed in burn-in, say the change a bit after x hours. Cant wait to try them out.. (3 more looong days)

Yeah I am excitingly waiting on my package from Italy too. I am especially looking forward to test how they sound with vocals, apparently one area where they are lacking behind the Sennheisers.

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #2,942 of 15,268
If the X2's are lacking in vocals then the Senns must be hand made by God because I think the vocals from the X2 are amazing.

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #2,943 of 15,268
The mids on the Senn hd6x0 are special. They compete with mids on other hp's costing 1K+. The mids on the x2 are still quite good. I listen to TONS of vocal centric music and the x2 serves me very well. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #2,944 of 15,268
  If the X2's are lacking in vocals then the Senns must be hand made by God because I think the vocals from the X2 are amazing.

The HD6X0 series might be really made by god since they withstood the of time and established themselves and are appreciated over a decade after its release.(!) 

Their biggest strength is the smooth, thick and natural rendition of vocals according to user reviews. I do not doubt the ability of the HD650 in regards of vocal rendition in the slightest. 

This only applies only with expensive source equipment though, which I personally do not want to invest right now.

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #2,946 of 15,268

I don't think they'll be lacking at all, for me at least, coming from DT 990's.
Hope Italy hurries up :p

I hope so too and yeah Italy, why u so slooww 
mad.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #2,947 of 15,268

I don't think they'll be lacking at all, for me at least, coming from DT 990's.
Hope Italy hurries up :p

I heard a lot about the 990's being sharper than the 880's. I tried the 880's and I really can't believe how someone can get used to something more bright than that. So.. YES, you will find more mids =) 

Actually, I think that X2's aren't great in nothing except by its sub-bass, which is really really great IMHO. They are just 'good' in everything. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #2,948 of 15,268
  I heard a lot about the 990's being sharper than the 880's. I tried the 880's and I really can't believe how someone can get used to something more bright than that. So.. YES, you will find more mids =) 

Actually, I think that X2's aren't great in nothing except by its sub-bass, which is really really great IMHO. They are just 'good' in everything. 

Maybe I will find them great in everything besides the sub-bass, you never know ;D

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #2,949 of 15,268
I must agree... In the first 3hrs or so the Bass settled down "Alot" it doesnt intrude into the mids. Was pretty insane when i first heard it. Up with the DT770-80 Pro's, but now it has a really lovely kick. On the right songs it sounds pretty amazing.

Well in general the headphones sound alot more open. Literally everything has opened up, its wierd... they had a muffled sound in the mids aswell. But its all clearing up nicely :) So far im quite happy with them. Especially for the price!

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #2,950 of 15,268
  The mids on the Senn hd6x0 are special. They compete with mids on other hp's costing 1K+. The mids on the x2 are still quite good. I listen to TONS of vocal centric music and the x2 serves me very well. 

To some this will sound like an exaggeration but the mids really are something on the HD650. I would even say they may be better than the LCD2's at times but it's hard to tell as they both trade blows with each other! obviously the LCD2 has the bass advantage being linear but mids; it really doesn't get better than the HD650. 

I think mids vocals goes like this

HD650/LCD2/Annies ------------->HE400i ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->Everthing else :wink:

Not heard the PM1's yet though.

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #2,951 of 15,268
  To some this will sound like an exaggeration but the mids really are something on the HD650. I would even say they may be better than the LCD2's at times but it's hard to tell as they both trade blows with each other! obviously the LCD2 has the bass advantage being linear but mids; it really doesn't get better than the HD650. 

I think mids vocals goes like this

HD650/LCD2/Annies ------------->HE400i ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->Everthing else :wink:

Not heard the PM1's yet though.

Thought so, they are not the most popular and recommended open-back headphone for nothing. 

I still opted for the x2 since I really don't want to deal with tub amps, odacs etc.  
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #2,952 of 15,268
It would be good to get some side by side impressions of the X2 vs. HD6x0 specifically with vocals.

I think the HD600 are very enjoyable with vocals and would be hard to match.

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #2,953 of 15,268
There was a comparison and the X2 nearly bested the HD6XX except for the fact that they are low impedance.
  It would be good to get some side by side impressions of the X2 vs. HD6x0 specifically with vocals.

I think the HD600 are very enjoyable with vocals and would be hard to match.

Comparisons with the Sennheiser HD 600
Any of you who have read my HD 600 review will know I hold them in high regard. In fact, many enthusiasts believe they may be the most important headphone in the hobby. Well, I don't think the X2 is going to change that—the HD 600 was a great headphone very early on and will forever hold an historic place in headphonedom—but I do think the X2 is the first headphone in the mid-priced, open headphone class that might deliver a superior listening experience.

Bass response of the X2 is tighter and significantly more satisfying in level. Treble response is a little less grainy on the HD 600, but it doesn't seems as well balanced. Image width and depth is much better on the X2. Mid-range is about the same on both, but the overall impression of the sound is much nicer on the X2. It's almost as if everything is accentuated on the X2, the overall balance is so good it's as if you get instant access to the whole of the music.
The only good reason to purchase an HD 600 over the X2, in my opinion, is when you're pairing it with a high output impedance tube amp. The 35 Ohm impedance of the X2 just isn't going to pair well with a 100 Ohm output impedance OTL amp. The HD 600 will remain an important headphone for those applications...unless Philips comes out with a 300 Ohm X2, then all bets are off.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/boss-philips-fidelio-x2

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #2,954 of 15,268
I agree with most of what Tyll said, but he's wrong about the mids on the x2 compared to the 600. I think he'd admit to it if he was pressed on it. But I won't speak for him, maybe the man will chime in himself. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #2,955 of 15,268
Do these dig significantly deeper than the hd650s in the bass department? I love my 650s but sometimes I'm left wanting more bass extension. I was thinking about picking up a pair of these or something like the he-400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back