Philips Fidelio X2's or...
Jan 28, 2017 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Saaki

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Recently I have seriously been considering a new pair of full size headphones. I most frequently listen to electronic music - house, trance, drum and bass etc. - so bass is very important to me. That said I also listen to a lot of other genres so I don't want something that only does bass. Currently my daily listeners at home are a pair of JBL LSR305 powered studio monitors matched with a Shiit Fulla 2 DAC and my 2012 MBP. When I'm out and about I usually use my 1more triple driver IEMs or my V-Moda M-80's, but recently I've only really been using the triple drivers along my One Plus One (with no DAC or amp). I am a graduate student with a shared studio space so both those phones help to drown out my noisy class mates.

I've been eyeballing the Philips Fidelio X2'S, the V-Moda M-100's, Bayer Dynamic DT 770 or maybe ATH-MSR7's as potential picks for the new pair of full size phones. My budget top end is about $250, but cheaper is better. I'm also considering buying used. I've never had open back headphones and although I'm intrigued I have to say I like the versitility of the closed back as I can use them in the subway and at school to isolate my music. Hence the X2's being the only open pair on my list.

If I get the X2's will I pretty much only be able to use them at home because of their open back design? Can anyone tell me their experience between these phones, or recommend me something else? The Fulla 2 is my first DAC/amp and I'm excited to use it a bit more for headphones in addition to my studio monitors, be it it's my understanding they can't drive anything with too high of an impedance. Right now I'm leaning towards the X2's because I've read so many good reviews but I'm a little nervous about Thier ability to isolate.

Please give me your thoughts!
Many thanks!

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 10
Do you mind reading my thread over here http://www.head-fi.org/t/832970/decisions-decisions-ath-m50x-philips-fidelio-x2-sennheiser-hd8-dj-and-beyerdynamic-dt770#post_13201929 and https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5q6xaj/some_sennheiser_hd8_dj_love/

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 10
The X2 is going to leak sound, both in and out of the headphone. So it's not one you are going to want to use on the subway, for example. It sounds great and it has abundant bass energy, but at the end of the day, it is an open headphone. 
You might look for a used P7 and see if you can find one (it is $349.49 on amazon, which is over budget). The M100 is an excellent headphone for someone who is looking for bass. Not sure how it compares to the M80 because I haven't heard it.
The X2 is a great open headphone if that is what you are looking for. If you want closed, I would go with the P7 or the M100. --)

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 10
  I'm curious, did we help you? ;P

Yes you did! Thank you. I think I need to be looking for closed back headphones right now... The X2's look oh so nice, but realistically I won't use them as much as I would a pair that have more isolation, so with that in mind I am going to make that my next purchase. Now I just need to decide which pair to get! CanJam is happening here in NYC next weekend so I think I am going to put together a list of ones I want to demo then make a choice after I've heard some in person.

I have a little list, but will be adding more this week. some are a little out of my budget, so if I decide on them I'll see about getting a used pair

The list:

Bowers & Wilkins P7 - $350 new, $220 used
V-Moda M-100 - $219 new
Sennheiser HD8 - $300 new, $230 used
OPPO PM-3 - $400 new 

Currently the V-Moda M-80's on ear's I have kinda crunch my glasses against my head which is why I don't use them as much as I would like. Perhaps a silly reason, but one that is very real. Perhaps its a long shot, but does anyone have suggestions for glasses friendly closed backs?

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 10

Yes you did! Thank you. I think I need to be looking for closed back headphones right now... The X2's look oh so nice, but realistically I won't use them as much as I would a pair that have more isolation, so with that in mind I am going to make that my next purchase. Now I just need to decide which pair to get! CanJam is happening here in NYC next weekend so I think I am going to put together a list of ones I want to demo then make a choice after I've heard some in person.

I have a little list, but will be adding more this week. some are a little out of my budget, so if I decide on them I'll see about getting a used pair

The list:

Bowers & Wilkins P7 - $350 new, $220 used
V-Moda M-100 - $219 new
Sennheiser HD8 - $300 new, $230 used
OPPO PM-3 - $400 new 

Currently the V-Moda M-80's on ear's I have kinda crunch my glasses against my head which is why I don't use them as much as I would like. Perhaps a silly reason, but one that is very real. Perhaps its a long shot, but does anyone have suggestions for glasses friendly closed backs?

Hey there, nice list you put up there!
I tried my glasses with the HD8 and personally it does not bother me unlike with the ATH M50X. But I have really slim glasses so it's best you try for yourself.
The HD8 has really soft leather and velour pads so I'm pretty sure one of them will be comfy with glasses.

I had to get used to how to wear the HD8. At first I couldn't really stand them but I fiddled with the angles. So try different positions with the earcups and headband (I wear mine with angled eacups and the headband slightly more in front of my head :D) and now they're really good fitting.

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 10
Well I've narrowed it down much farther and I have two headphones I am choosing between.

They are: the Meze 99 Classics and the Fostex TH-X00.

Would anyone recommend one over the other?

My thinking right now is that the Meze will be slightly more portable, cheaper and has swappable cables. I'd also have to wait for the next Fostex drop. I listened to them both today at Can Jam here in NYC and was really impressed. I liked the Bass from the Fostex, but found that the Meze 99 was no slouch in the Bass department either. Any thoughts or recommendations either way would be wonderful.
Thanks!

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 10
The Meze 99s seem to fit more into your taste and needs since they are closed backs. The V-Moda are a nice closed back option as well, removable cable and they offer a different set of earpads. 

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 10
I ended up going with the Meze 99 Classics. After a lot of back and forth and trying them at CanJam I decided they were the best pick for me. Thanks for the help everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back