Philphone

Is Philphone legit?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jul 2, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #16 of 50
So you dont need proof of purchase, just a serial no.? Which serial no.? Like the one thats on the headband? If so, then images of those are easy to find with a google. If its a serial no. printed on the box then that would require some sharp eyes, I probably would start by looking at classifieds on eBay.

Are you only allowed one replacement pair per serial no.? That would be important info to know if youre buying a set of Fostex.
The serial number is on the box and the headphones. I was told that the serial number would be recorded, but as far as I know there are not a limit on how many you can order at once.
So just to be clear, for a period you were selling non-Fostex drivers while claiming Fostex drivers? Im glad that is no longer the case.
I have never sold anything that wasn't what I said it was. Please do not put words in my mouth or twist the narrative to create any further misunderstandings.
Will anyone link? What did they say? I cant imagine why they’d target you @Zerousen . You said you have ties in the industry, could it be salty competitors?
I simply have good friends and there are random people who somehow have something against me for what I do or represent. I am not looking to compete with anyone.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #17 of 50
What do those words mean? Im not familiar with all the audio lingo... And even within the adjectives Im familiar I know there is still plenty definition discrepancies even amongst veteran amateurs. Professionals on the other hand are without reproach (please dont ban me).
The shape of overtones following the fundamentals of notes were coherent, meaning tonality of instruments and voices was quite correct sounding. Texture was on point, especially for the bass.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jul 2, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #19 of 50
So just to be clear, for a period you were selling non-Fostex drivers while claiming Fostex drivers? Im glad that is no longer the case.

Don't think this has ever been the case. Too easy for people to take the mental shortcut/make the mistake of calling any fostex-alike biodyna driver a fostex driver. It's not even like the headphones are advertised anywhere that claims them to be fostex drivers. Easy to imagine that a reviewer might have made this mistake when talking about the headphone as well.

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #20 of 50
Don't think this has ever been the case. Too easy for people to take the mental shortcut/make the mistake of calling any fostex-alike biodyna driver a fostex driver. It's not even like the headphones are advertised anywhere that claims them to be fostex drivers. Easy to imagine that a reviewer might have made this mistake when talking about the headphone as well.
That makes sense. Just people echoing old outdated info or just repeating a reviewer who had mispoken etc.

Thank you for responding with info @Zerousen . I hope more people share some impressions on what looks to be a great sounding headphone.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #22 of 50
Nov 30, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #24 of 50
Nov 30, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #25 of 50
Mates, where may I order the Philphone?

Philphone​

I do not currently have an official storefront for philphone specifically, they are made to order in private and I generally answer inquiries in direct messages. Meanwhile my Etsy page is mainly for periodic ksc75 sales, but those are currently put on hold while I work on philphone orders before the holidays begin.

Nov 30, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #27 of 50
I do not currently have an official storefront for philphone specifically, they are made to order in private and I generally answer inquiries in direct messages. Meanwhile my Etsy page is mainly for periodic ksc75 sales, but those are currently put on hold while I work on philphone orders before the holidays begin.
So, where I can write to you for some additional Qs?

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #28 of 50
Oooo an email, I'm sending pics

Nov 30, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #29 of 50
So, where I can write to you for some additional Qs? If you do not like to make it public, please write to [redacted]
headfi private messages works fine, I would advise against posting your email on a public forum such as this though.

Nov 30, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #30 of 50
Getting replacement drivers was indeed troublesome, however by no means impossible. Those who have been modding fostex headphones here on headfi for a long time should know that there are various channels to obtain them, such as through full compass systems or other audio equipment/replacement parts companies. With that being said, while I did at one point use drivers coming direct through foster/fostex, the tediousness of chiseling the drivers out from their baffles and the problems with using replacement drivers that have not been driver matched was becoming an issue, and consistency would become necessary if I were to want to make sure each unit I made was equal to one another. Thus, I would eventually cut out the middleman, and using information I obtained from friends and connections in the industry, I eventually started working with an oem manufacturer and receive supplies directly from them. Having said all of that, while I may have mentioned earlier on in my endeavors that I used fostex drivers, I would eventually begin to phase out that keyword with fostex driver equivalent, and eventually the more generic term "biodynamic driver". I have never tried to mislead anyone and I have generally always operated on a personal level rather than some sort of business entity. I am not some sort of scammer who has acted on false pretenses as some people, who have either acted in bad faith in the past (and there is plenty of evidence of them doing so), or those who do not know me and are simply parroting what they've heard from these bad actors, have claimed.

I initially did not intend on ever selling Philphone. It was made to fill in what I felt I had been missing, having been in the audio hobby for several years and yet never being able to settle or be satisfied with anything I had tried or purchased. Early on, I ran into many problems. I did not have the money or the equipment necessary for me to troubleshoot some things such as channel matching or tuning other than to use my own ears. I had many drivers sitting around at that point and figured that since I had friends with ties in the audio industry, I might as well build a couple of sets and send them to those who could give me measurements and feedback, and to my surprise, these early Philphone prototypes were very well received, and I was encouraged to start making them for others who were interested.

Now here is where the price discrepancies get addressed. At the time (roughly Fall of 2019), I was occasionally making detachable cable mods to fund my hobbies, an MH755 here, a KSC75 there. I was still going to school and I worked a job at the local UPS store. I was nowhere near established or well known enough to start selling any real product, so it wouldn't have made any sense for me to start selling something for too much, right?
So, when people first started catching on about my projects (friends, family, acquaintances), I started out with a price that I considered to have been fair enough for people who liked me and wanted to support what I was doing, and as early adopters. I operated solely based on a community level, and slowly people would come to know of me and my headphones through word of mouth. As time went on, the world was hit with the COVID-19 pandemic. All sorts of costs would go up, whether it be everyday necessities, materials, or shipping. Work hours were cut, and people were made to stay in their homes. As these costs would ramp up, so too did the demand for my headphones and services, so I would eventually come to rely on this as my primary source of income, and the early adopter prices that I initially offered would not suffice for the amount of time, labor, and costs that were required for me to keep everything going.

I hope this helps shed light on some things and that some of the questions that people have been asking about have been answered. Before my aspirations to start my a business to support myself and my family, I am an avid audio community member. All of the support I have been getting so far has been unprecedented, and I will always be grateful for all of my friends in the audio discord and reddit communities, as well as those in the industry. On the other hand, the animosity and vitriol that has been both subtly and unsubtly directed towards me and those who support me has been recognized, but I refuse to let that become an issue for me and I will soon be taking countermeasures towards these threats in order to protect myself. I hope that everyone is getting by well enough in these trying times and I am looking forward to when things will get better.

By the way, I will be attending Canjam SoCal 2022 this year, not as an exhibitor or press but as a regular attendee. So, if you see a random guy carrying around a Philphone that's been painted red, feel free to stop by to say hi! :darthsmile:
Ah! Wish I had seen this thread earlier, I missed you at canjam. :frowning2:

Probably just as well, I’d have just bugged you to let me demo the Phil phone!

I’ve heard nothing but good things about it, and for those on the fence, all of my past interaction with Phil has been great and ‘legit.’

Users who are viewing this thread

Back