PLANAR IEMs fans thread-Impressions, suggestions, ranking list, techs
Mar 2, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #167 of 241
Has anyone seen a frequency measurement curve for Supermoon?

cfa-supermoon-19.jpg

From Twister reviews

Mar 3, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #169 of 241
Despite my many issues with Planar iems and I have 6 of them against my stance of no more I've cracked and ordered the HIDIZS MP145 as it was on sale on AliX
Hoping this is the one!

Mar 3, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #170 of 241
I would take the S15 EQ'd over the Supermoon EQ'd. The SM has an unnatural timbre in the treble for me. The S15 treble is interesting also - it extends very high. Instead of a boost (2K+ mids->treble) like the Supermoon, the S15 has a forward presence / air in general, but not as sharp or boosted. The timbre is on the safe side though (S15), and I don't find them fatiguing (S15).

The SM sort of fits in a weird slot for CA also (Just my opinion) - There is an absolute 'ton of love' for them in the Watercooler, but at the same time they are a bit pricey compared to some of the other in their catalog and out, such as the Letshuoer S15 / S12 Pro. The price is too low on the S15 for some of the posters to care about, but they are missing out on what this hobby is about. Chasing what sounds real/natural to the listener, vs. tonal balance, target frequency responses, etc.

I think I believe in the pressure relief valves or designs like the new driver in the Sennheiser IE line. Balancing the pressure in the ear is paramount.

I'd love to hear more single planar in-ears, but after listening to a handful, the Supermoon slots below the LCD-i4 and S15 in my lineup. I don't claim this as an absolute - just one persons wallet and tastes.
A lot of people in the audio hobby are biased, hijacked and intuitively correlate price and the number of drivers to something better.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #172 of 241
Like you I've been holding back on getting it because of this stealth retune but we need more people to confirm it.
From what I understand Michael Bruce back tracked on that saying it was unit variation not an actual retune having not heard the "original" I'll never know lol

Mar 4, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #173 of 241
Despite my many issues with Planar iems and I have 6 of them against my stance of no more I've cracked and ordered the HIDIZS MP145 as it was on sale on AliX
Hoping this is the one!
It’s a great IEM. It outclassed my shure se846 easily. You will need a strong amp for this thing. It needs the same power as a headphone.

Mar 4, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #174 of 241
It’s a great IEM. It outclassed my shure se846 easily. You will need a strong amp for this thing. It needs the same power as a headphone.
(about MP145)
I do not understand why people say that: I use mine with Qudelix5k and iBasso DC04 easily. Sure I am not a loud listener.

Mar 4, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #175 of 241
(about MP145)
I do not understand why people say that: I use mine with Qudelix5k and iBasso DC04 easily. Sure I am not a loud listener.
It comes to the resolution actually. Sure you can get it loud but did you get the details of each sound? When driven with a desktop chain, the MP145 was very close to my HEK stealth. My HEK sound muted in resolution when using portable players.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #176 of 241
From what I understand Michael Bruce back tracked on that saying it was unit variation not an actual retune having not heard the "original" I'll never know lol

Where did you see that MB back-tracked on the variation between the tunings? I'm curious to see that. I just got a set in about a week ago, and it shows no hint of thin / recessed mids as he said is present on the new tuning... So I'm left to believe I may have lucked into a first batch set.

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #177 of 241
I've never said these words about a Planar iem before but I'm blown away by the HIDIZS MP145, big sumptuous bass lush mids and smooth crystal treble also in a rather beautiful titanium finish only change I made was using the copper coloured JUZEAR 4.4mm cable only cos it's thicker I really dislike thin cables. Using Divinus Velvet tips with gold nozzles this Planar sounds like a DD with really nice
20240310_165349.jpg
timbre. You could say I'm stoked for £117 off AliX it's a real bargain!

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #178 of 241
I have the KZ PR2 pro ver1 (unobtanium now, quite good); NiceHCK F1 Pro (recommend), Tangzu Zetian Wu OG (bass heavy), RaptGo Hook X (very clean, V shaped, ), and last but not least the magnificent Hidizs MP145 (my absolute favourite; lot of different tuning).

Rock / metal is my genre, too (with a lot of other ones). Sure, my hearing is not perfect and I have zero musical study.
I never paid attention to the KZ scandal but is it about the PR2 Pro? Was that the revision?

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #179 of 241
I never paid attention to the KZ scandal but is it about the PR2 Pro? Was that the revision?

The first version of the PR2 that was hyped to the moon by first adopters and reviewers were probably legit.

But KZ went to remove a mesh in subsequent batches, making it a banshee shout fest. Penny wise pound foolish - the mesh probably costs a few cents at most.

Stealth revisions in CHIFI are not uncommon, but the worst part though, was that some consumers measured both batches on their home rigs and also took photos of the missing meshes in version 2 to show objective evidence. But our friendly KZ rep denied all these and bashed the consumers, saying they have inaccurate home measuring devices LOL.

Mar 11, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #180 of 241
The first version of the PR2 that was hyped to the moon by first adopters and reviewers were probably legit.

But KZ went to remove a mesh in subsequent batches, making it a banshee shout fest. Penny wise pound foolish - the mesh probably costs a few cents at most.

Stealth revisions in CHIFI are not uncommon, but the worst part though, was that some consumers measured both batches on their home rigs and also took photos of the missing meshes in version 2 to show objective evidence. But our friendly KZ rep denied all these and bashed the consumers, saying they have inaccurate home measuring devices LOL.
Exactly. I had both versions of PR2; OG sounded good so I ordered another one. No rigs for me, just my hearing (which is not perfect) but the difference was significant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back