PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Jan 27, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #4,606 of 4,866
Fry's has the Pono Player on super sale again! Great time to fix up your Valentine or buy a backup.
http://images.frys.com/art/email/012717_fri231fhs/fri_web.html?promocode=8801138#set3

Wow $219.99 I believe is an all time low, thought I did well @$249.

Sure wish the PonoMusic site would get back up....any good rumors on when that might happen?

I see they have a new Valult interface which so far has not been much to get excited about.

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #4,607 of 4,866

Sure wish the PonoMusic site would get back up....any good rumors on when that might happen?

I see they have a new Valult interface which so far has not been much to get excited about.

The Vault is barely useable at this stage in its development. I'll wait a while and see if they improve it, but the previous, JRiver-based, setup was miles better.

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #4,608 of 4,866

It was $200 on black Friday after release. And it was $200 a couple of month ago. Frys is the only place I've seen it for less than $300

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #4,609 of 4,866
---Thank you for the info, I feel much better.---

Purchased a Black Unit from Fry's (many open boxed units at $389). Comes with Firmware 1.05 and no SDXC.  Plug in MDR-Z7 and switch to balance mode makes a spacious difference compare to my previous dac (mojo and iDSD Micro).  Now really want to get a compatible balanced MMCX cable for the H3 and U900.

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #4,610 of 4,866
Out of the 6 "cased-units" at SoCal city of industry location, I've picked a black one that looks like it wasn't returned or tampered with.  Guess what?  I was wrong, missing SDXC (should've known they've got heat-guns to lift the sticky seal).  Honestly I've had 0 good experience with Fry's electronic, it really has to do with the local people they've hired, maybe not enough background checks.  So once again I have to swallow my loss. 
Unit comes with Firmware 1.05.  Plug in MDR-Z7 and switch to balance mode makes a spacious difference compare to my previous dac (mojo and iDSD Micro).  Now really want to get a compatible balanced MMCX cable for the H3 and U900 I've got.

Newer models of the Pono did not include the card (and the Fry's ad does not show a card included "in the box"). The unit is most likely new given the firmware version. Current version is 1.0.6.

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #4,611 of 4,866
I'm using 2 128gb Samsung SD EVO class 10 cards.  Whenever I swap between the cards, the Pono kicks off Scanning Music Library for a LONG time even if  nothing has changed on the 2 cards. I've read it supposedly  caches up to 3 cards but mine doesn't seem to be caching anything.  Any ideas?  Does the amount of free space available on the internal 64gb affect the cache?  This is driving me nuts, it basically makes swapping cards unusable b/c of how long it takes to rescan.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #4,612 of 4,866
Hey Guys 

Still loving my PONO as always. Such a sweet sounding player.

HOWEVER I am not loving all my messed up song tags and sizable unknown artist folder. I tried using MusicBrainz Picard but double tagged a load of albums now so they show up double on my PONO. 

Can anyone recommend a tried and true (paid or free) program for quickly sorting out tags? The PONO Vault is crap. It doesn't actually save tags outside of its own UI , and transfer is really buggy over drag and drop in OS X. 

Ok thanks!!! 

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #4,615 of 4,866
Hey Guys 

Still loving my PONO as always. Such a sweet sounding player.

HOWEVER I am not loving all my messed up song tags and sizable unknown artist folder. I tried using MusicBrainz Picard but double tagged a load of albums now so they show up double on my PONO. 

Can anyone recommend a tried and true (paid or free) program for quickly sorting out tags? The PONO Vault is crap. It doesn't actually save tags outside of its own UI , and transfer is really buggy over drag and drop in OS X. 

Ok thanks!!! 

I use mp3tag.com. Not an expert on it but it serves my needs.

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #4,616 of 4,866
  Does the amount of free space available on the internal 64gb affect the cache?  This is driving me nuts, it basically makes swapping cards unusable b/c of how long it takes to rescan.

I have always thought yes, it does matter. I keep about 10% free on  the player's memory and all my cards. They register within a minute or two anytime I add or change something. Easy enough to find out - just delete enough files to free up about 6 gigs on the internal memory and see what happens. What's to lose?

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #4,617 of 4,866

I have always thought yes, it does matter. I keep about 10% free on  the player's memory and all my cards. They register within a minute or two anytime I add or change something. Easy enough to find out - just delete enough files to free up about 6 gigs on the internal memory and see what happens. What's to lose?

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.  Clearly nothing to lose and I was going to try regardless but thought I'd check to see if anyone had confirmed it mattered.

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #4,618 of 4,866
Like L8MDL, I also leave 10% free on Pono and memory cards. I don't have problems with long scan times either. Might also check your files. A bad file can make the scan take longer. The Pono handles the internal + 2 mSD cards in cache. Love the Pono!

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #4,619 of 4,866
I use mp3tag.com. Not an expert on it but it serves my needs.

Yeah I am really frustrated atm as from using MusicBrainz Picard I now have messed up tag info on the PONO. 

Wish I hadn't messed with this. Makes me want to buy a new player that does the unthinkable...folder view! :frowning2:

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #4,620 of 4,866

Yeah I am really frustrated atm as from using MusicBrainz Picard I now have messed up tag info on the PONO. 

Wish I hadn't messed with this. Makes me want to buy a new player that does the unthinkable...folder view! :frowning2:

I just put mine on random play and let it rip. 4800 songs, never has repeated yet (unless I forced it to!)....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back