any suggestions ? These are a few models that looked good

-Focal Spirit one

-audio technica ath es700

-Sony MDR-1R

-JVC HA S500

-not yet released JVC HA-SZ2000/1000

the headphones will be used outside so no open headphones
Thank you in advance

First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Any preference in terms of sound sig, genres, comfort, isolation, build, etc? Since we have no basis from which to suggest anything other than an arbitrary list.

Also, you'd probably won't get much feedback from an unreleased product unless you feel risky (personally feel that they look stunning and promising but that's just me playing devil's advocate...)

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 6
Genres are helpful but stating sound preferences/sig preferences would be immensely more helpful.

To re-quote an old post of mine - 
Frequency ranges and their relevance towards practical music listening - 

(Interactive version here - http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm)
Highs = treble
Lows = Bass
Among other technicalities - would give the glossary another read if you're still confused.

Genres are helpful, but we all like different presentations of our genres. Stating sound preferences would be immensely more helpful in the long run. You can find a nice list of terms in the H-F glossary, but would advise against picking and choosing any term that seems appealing because in the end they might really conflicts with one another.

Describing sound is difficult to get into at first, but it makes giving recommendation a much simpler job. Otherwise you have people throwing out random suggestions for the only things they've heard, without much specification on what you might actually be looking for. A massive medley of choices can be just as confusing despite however helpful it might seem at first.

In terms of lightness though, while I'm by no means an accurate scale down to <1 grams, it'd go something like this for me at least - Spirit One, MDR-1R (nice weight distribution IMO), and the S500. Haven't tried the ES700s yet. The JVCs are rumored to be quite heavy as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back