Possible hearing damage from long-term cans listening?
Feb 6, 2006 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Marek_K

New Head-Fier
By "long term" I dont mean continuous listening for 48 hours or something like that....I read somewhere that listening to headphones for , lets say 15 years 2-3 hours a day can damage your hearing/ears.I suppose its meant to be that your hearing get worse quicker than at person who didnt use cans.And why? Because the way that cans reproduce sound is unnatural for human ear!
confused.gif
What u think about that?

Feb 6, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 7
Well, I'm 52 and I still have sharp hearing. I do have tinnitus (slightly) but I think that is due to the fact that I'm a musician and play too loudly.

I think headphones are perfectly safe as long as levels are low, but we're all tempted. I use sealed headphones to shut out noise from the external world and keep the music low, so they may be extending my hearing!!

Ian

Feb 6, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 7
imo , and as long as headphones are not "uncomfortable"to your ears and hearing , the only thing that can cause an earing loss about listening to hedaphones is volume level and not the time you pass with them .
no paranoia .
but ..
it's true that my ps-1 highs fatigue my ears less then my sr-225 highs at the very same volume on listening , so it's also likely a combined effect of volume level+distortions ( for ex. in high frq. ) that can cause fatigue - moment , and hearing loss - period .

Feb 6, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 7
Well, I know that u have to keep volume at reasonable/comfortable level.But the issue is still here even with low volume level: with heaphones the drivers that produce sound are placed only few centimeters from your ear, and that is way a human ear was not "designed" to receive sound (surely not for a long time)- that is my point(point of that article I read).

Feb 6, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marek_K
Well, I know that u have to keep volume at reasonable/comfortable level.But the issue is still here even with low volume level: with heaphones the drivers that produce sound are placed only few centimeters from your ear, and that is way a human ear was not "designed" to receive sound (surely not for a long time)- that is my point(point of that article I read).

Oh my god, not again.

Please excuse my being mean, but seriously, stop.

Last month this is pretty much all that was being talked about and there was massive speculation and widespread paranoia. The conclusion was that no one knows for sure and there have been few if any decisive studies that have linked headphones to a greater chance of hearing loss than something like speakers. As long as you're smart about the volume you listen to and the length of time at which you listen to headphones, you should be fine.

Feb 6, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
Oh my god, not again.

Please excuse my being mean, but seriously, stop.

Last month this is pretty much all that was being talked about and there was massive speculation and widespread paranoia. The conclusion was that no one knows for sure and there have been few if any decisive studies that have linked headphones to a greater chance of hearing loss than something like speakers. As long as you're smart about the volume you listen to and the length of time at which you listen to headphones, you should be fine.

sorry, I should have use search button first.Now I see it has been discussed here many times before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back