Power protection
Jan 17, 2010 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ozer

100+ Head-Fier
I need some help with "power protection", I know nothing about electricity and stuff like that...

I'm getting a new amp in some days and I thought I should protect my amp (and me).... The problem is that my house have ungrounded power outlets... I want to be safe, so I need a "Residual-current device" (I have no idea if that's the right word in English..
tongue.gif
), but I also want something to protect from spikes... First of all are there some products that can do both ? I don't want to spend much money on it, so it should be a maximum of 40$.... And of course I should be able to get it in the type "Schuko" (connector type in Sweden)...

Of course I want to know if this affects the sound.... (in a bad way)

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 7
Just use a surge suppressor meant for televisions and computers. You shouldn't have any trouble finding one.

I use them and do not think they affect the sound.

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just use a surge suppressor meant for televisions and computers. You shouldn't have any trouble finding one.

I use them and do not think they affect the sound.

Thanks for the fast answer ! But I still have to problem with ungrounded power outlets... I don't want to risk my life every time I touch my amp's metal case... Should I just buy a "RCD" protector that I plug in my outlet, then plug the surge suppressor into that ?

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 7
Well, I have to disagree with Uncle Eric. I have power conditioner/surge suppressor. They do degrade sound of ampilifier. Very noticable. Not so much for CDP throught. So I have my amp plug into wall inorder to get best SQ.

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have to disagree with Uncle Eric. I have power conditioner/surge suppressor. They do degrade sound of ampilifier. Very noticable. Not so much for CDP throught. So I have my amp plug into wall inorder to get best SQ.

OK... But none of you have answered about the RCD... I don't know if that's the right word in English, but it's a device you put in you power outlet and then you connect your amp (for example) into that... If there's a shortcut and you touch the metal case on the amp the device will shut down the power to prevent you from.... dieing...
wink.gif
Now I'm pretty sure you understand.... Does this device affect the sound in a bad way ?

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 7
I went to Wikipedia and found ...

Quote:

A residual current device (RCD), similar to a Residual Current Circuit Breaker (RCCB), is an electrical wiring device that disconnects a circuit whenever it detects that the electric current is not balanced between the energized conductor and the return neutral conductor. Such an imbalance is sometimes caused by current leakage through the body of a person who is grounded and accidentally touching the energized part of the circuit. A lethal shock can result from these conditions. RCDs are designed to disconnect quickly enough to mitigate the harm caused by such shocks although they are not intended to provide protection against overload or short-circuit conditions.

In the United States and Canada, a residual current device is also known as a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI), ground fault interrupter (GFI) or an appliance leakage current interrupter (ALCI). In Australia they are sometimes known as "safety switches" or simply "RCD" and in the United Kingdom they can be referred to as "trips" or "trip switches". They can be found in kitchens, bathrooms, and other places that can be wet.

Portable Residual Current Device (Prcd) Manufacturer exporting direct from Hong Kong

Portable_Residual_Current_Device_Prcd_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back