Protect audio Jack?
May 20, 2011 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kagelou

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I was just wondering, do you protect the audio jack of your headphone in any way? I'm planning to make a headphone stand, but dunno if I should get something to cover the jack when I hang my headphones. Does the jack get damaged easily, or am I just over-worrying? Thanks~

May 20, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 8
I dare say you're over-worrying. Unless you accidentally step on the jack, why would anything happen to it? I suppose it also depends on whether or not it's a mini-jack - they obviously tend to be more fragile. The only time I've damaged a headphone jack, was when it was actually plugged in (in a receiver) - I walked by and my clothes caught the cable and bend the jack a little.

May 20, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 8
Well, I don't know much about audio jacks so I was wondering if even a little scratch would cause noise or render one side of the headphone incapable of producing sound.

Quote:
I dare say you're over-worrying. Unless you accidentally step on the jack, why would anything happen to it? I suppose it also depends on whether or not it's a mini-jack - they obviously tend to be more fragile. The only time I've damaged a headphone jack, was when it was actually plugged in (in a receiver) - I walked by and my clothes caught the cable and bend the jack a little.

May 20, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 8
A headphone jack isn't likely to be damaged, and that's a major concern about cables. It's the main reason why people do their first recable, and why people chose good ol' Neutrik undestructable jacks.

However, aesthetically, IMO, that would be amazing. You could put a female jack in the wood, without any cables or anything connected, and just plug it in. If not, just leave it hanging from the stand, and according to Newton's first Law, nothing will happen to it unless it gets touched.

Disclaimer: according to Murphy's Law, however, something bad will happen to it no matter what.

May 20, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 8
wait...what? Is that a typo? o.o

Quote:
A headphone jack isn't likely to be damaged, and that's a major concern about cables. It's the main reason why people do their first recable, and why people chose good ol' Neutrik undestructable jacks.

However, aesthetically, IMO, that would be amazing. You could put a female jack in the wood, without any cables or anything connected, and just plug it in. If not, just leave it hanging from the stand, and according to Newton's first Law, nothing will happen to it unless it gets touched.

Disclaimer: according to Murphy's Law, however, something bad will happen to it no matter what.

May 20, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #6 of 8
Lol tahnks for showing me. Yes, I was writing one thing and changed my mind. Truth is, people do get sturdy bulk cables and heatshrink and Neutrik jacks  when they make a DIY cable so that the cable itself is resistent and won't plit at the jack - which happens with many stock cables.

However, the OP asked wether the jack itself can get damaged, which I have never heard of. Most are very sturdy metal, even stock ones, so if we talk about the jack alone and now how it can split from the rest of the cable, there are no worries. So I corrected my initial sentence, failing to make any sense
redface.gif

May 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 8
ok, so it's more about the cable connecting to the jack than the jack itself. Good to hear that I don't need a cover for the jack or anything =]
Thanks for the info~

May 21, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #8 of 8
No problem. What most people do, when recabling or making an interconnect, is you put a piece of heatshrink that covers the junction between the cable and the jack. I'm sure there's a tutorial somewhere where you can see this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back