Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM136, PSM156, PSM1512 Power Conditioners
Feb 1, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #736 of 1,021
Can we remove em

Feb 3, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #738 of 1,021
Looks like you’d need a small pin punch and just tap out the hinge pin from the side. Forget about putting it back though.
Will try this. F these covers. Lol.

Feb 4, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #740 of 1,021
Would a power conditioner like the PSM156 (or a power "plant"/generator like PS Audio makes) be a meaningful addition to a system where all components are already powered by linear power supplies?

In my case, my music server, DAC, and headphone amp, each have their separate high-quality linear power supplies, which are currently fed from AC straight from the wall socket.

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #741 of 1,021
Would a power conditioner like the PSM156 (or a power "plant"/generator like PS Audio makes) be a meaningful addition to a system where all components are already powered by linear power supplies?

In my case, my music server, DAC, and headphone amp, each have their separate high-quality linear power supplies, which are currently fed from AC straight from the wall socket.
Yes it would. Try before you buy if you’re not convinced.

Feb 4, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #742 of 1,021
Can I ask a favour of someone with a Routemaster - if it is easy enough to open it up and you don't mind doing so, I'd be really interested in seeing a photo or two of the interior layout. Presumably a solid copper bus in the middle, just interested in what else it contains. I will likely get one when funds permit.

Cheers,
Jake

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #743 of 1,021
Can I ask a favour of someone with a Routemaster - if it is easy enough to open it up and you don't mind doing so, I'd be really interested in seeing a photo or two of the interior layout. Presumably a solid copper bus in the middle, just interested in what else it contains. I will likely get one when funds permit.

Cheers,
Jake
It's got some kind of powder and rocks in it or something. If you shake it you can hear all kinds of stuff in there like sand and rocks.

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #745 of 1,021
It's got some kind of powder and rocks in it or something. If you shake it you can hear all kinds of stuff in there like sand and rocks.

I thought you were joking at first. He’s just made an overpriced, undersized ground box?
Fer real? I read this as joking too.. fascinating if so.

But I see you @phoneslave86 have one so.. very interesting. 🤔

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 6:46 AM Post #747 of 1,021
To be fair, it's heavily implied in the marketing material for the routemaster
Interesting thanks, never occured to me to check the blurb, which I see contemplates use without a connection to ground via a GM, though doubt many people would use it that way.

My GM is already swathed in piezo-electrics (2x Fo.Q sheets & some Rochelle Salt), it really makes quite a difference.

Feb 5, 2024 at 7:22 AM Post #748 of 1,021
Hi chaps, thought I'd share a very cheap but so far very promising and effective shielding/RFI absorption tweak I've been experimenting with some success in a range places in my system in recent weeks - graphite 'foil'. I've shared some findings on other threads but finally this evening got around to trying it on and around my PSM156 hence this post.

Graphite foil is comprised of graphite crystals 'calendered' (rolled flat) into multiple thin layers which are squished together. You can get a ten pack of 20x25cm 0.5mm or 1mm sheets from AliX for not much cost at all.

I did a bit of research before trying graphite foil. Graphite is a potent RFI shield used in industry and in military stealth coatings because its ratio of absorption to reflection is much better than conductive metals, up to the low GHz range after which reflection the absorption % for metals rises to converge at a similar level to dominates for graphite. There's RFI blocking paints and some commercially available cable sheaths that employee graphite and/or other carbon for this reason.

As you can see I fashioned some very basic shields between the cables and plugs as they enter the Puritan. The foil is very light with consistency like particularly brittle cardboard... easy to create corners by bending which results in tearing of the layers, but if done gently it stays together in one piece. (The 0.5mm is easier to neatly bend than the 1mm which needs scoring to avoid ragged corners) The foil is very delicate and it will separate completely at the corner fold with just a one or two bends in opposite directions.

Just done some prelim AB'ing but so far seems very potent and positive.

The positives (which were obvious in their absence as I went along the line removing and replacing them one at a time) include purer and grain free midrange with less glare on vocals. This purity extended into the treble with xylophone hits sounding more delicately crystalline and realistic. Also better overall separation on the soundstage with a quieter background, and more bass weight and transient attack. I don't think it thinned the sound per se but the greater attack and precision was quite intense on some songs... Some tuning to be done methinks.

The above was 'just' with the 0.5mm thick sheets as the more potent - and in my experience more balanced and denser/full sounding - 1mm thick ones were already all deployed elsewhere in my system.

So just now I nicked one of those 1mm thick sheets, halved it and placed it inside the existing 0.5mm foil shield for my clock cable (the silver helix one) and sure enough midrange palpabilty went up a notch.

To be continued...

20231209_224747.jpg20231209_224736.jpgScreenshot_20231113_232419_AliExpress.jpg20231113_230445.jpg
What about rest of the cable? Why not covering whole surface?

Feb 5, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #749 of 1,021
I thought you were joking at first. He’s just made an overpriced, undersized ground box?
Doesn't seem like it.

Based on the product listing, it looks like it's just intended to provide a ground connection via various connector types for stuff that may not already be grounded? You'd need to connect it to ground itself.

(This is standard practice in a lot of cases, even when measuring stuff for instance, the APx555 has grounding lugs to connect to the devices you're testing to prevent issues induced by a lack of ground)

It's a bit steep for effectively wires in a box sure, but sounds like it does what it says on the tin.

It's not like the 'grounding boxes' that do absolutely nothing

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back