QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Dec 8, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #2,191 of 2,268
here's my problem.... would I like to buy the other type of pad that the seller didn't give me?
quad era 1.jpg

Dec 8, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #2,194 of 2,268
The company that owns the QUAD brand is not far from me. ( IAG)
I have got pads from them before.
If you need help and want to try the other style pads, I can source them and post them for you.
You could also look for an IAG distributor in your country and email them about availability.

Dec 10, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #2,197 of 2,268
based on your photos you can easily see that almost 100% of you use leather pads and not felt pads. Why?
so they have felt pads which is wrong, with the leather ones I feel the headphones are a little closed in the highs and the bass seems a little swollen.

Dec 11, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #2,198 of 2,268
based on your photos you can easily see that almost 100% of you use leather pads and not felt pads. Why?
so they have felt pads which is wrong, with the leather ones I feel the headphones are a little closed in the highs and the bass seems a little swollen.
Simply put, I prefer the felt pads, they are more banging

Dec 11, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #2,199 of 2,268
For me leather improves bass impact and transients. I hear that with other headphones as well.

Dec 11, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #2,200 of 2,268
I don't like the feeling of the felt/ Alcantara/ suede touching my skin.
So basically all my headphone have real or pleather on.

And I like the sound of the leather pads, even more with the ZMF Universe perforated pads. :)

Jan 7, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #2,201 of 2,268
I've finally joined the club!! Picked up a mint 2nd hand pair off of eBay. Well I say mint I have already experienced the sound cut out others have mentioned. I've unplugged and plugged back in a it seems ok for now. There is a tiny amount of play one side and not the other so I sense I will need to do the repair linked above. Any idea where you can get replacement sockets from online?

Jan 7, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #2,202 of 2,268
So, a couple of weeks ago I started losing my left channel every now and then.. Until two weeks ago when it completely failed. Switching the left and right cable showed the cable was not at fault here.. Worked up the courage and opened up the left ear-piece, only to find a snapped/loose wire. I knew I had a soldering-iron somewhere, I've used that on my model-railroad, some twenty-five years ago (yes, I'm that old!). Managed to fix it, one day before my new Schiit Mjolnir3 arrived. No more problems, just really enjoying my ERA-1's again.

Jan 8, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #2,203 of 2,268
I have made several comparisons between: clear mg, arya v2 and quad era 1, the quad is not only the most pleasant and musical of the three but in my humble opinion in the most demanding passages in heavy metal I feel that it is the most technically capable of the three.
The quad and I don't know the reason is highly undervalued, perhaps if it cost 3000 euros it would attract more interest from audiophiles.

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #2,204 of 2,268
I have made several comparisons between: clear mg, arya v2 and quad era 1, the quad is not only the most pleasant and musical of the three but in my humble opinion in the most demanding passages in heavy metal I feel that it is the most technically capable of the three.
The quad and I don't know the reason is highly undervalued, perhaps if it cost 3000 euros it would attract more interest from audiophiles.
That's one of the reasons why I'm a bit reluctant to trying other midfi headphones... Even if its frequency response is a bit bright for my tastes (mostly with electronic productions), I feel like the Quad punches over its price range technically. How is the Arya, is it brighter?

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #2,205 of 2,268
I'm not a full believer in sound shaping cables, but i've to admit that there's a subtle noticeable change.
As i've mentoined earlier in this thread, the oem cable isn't that good in the sense of the conductor.
Mine has a little imbalance between left and right, maybe due to a faulty soldering or something, i guess.
Can't make an assumption that this belongs to all oem cables, it's just mine. :wink:

The impedance of my Quad oem cable (8') is:

Left = 1,5r
Right = 0,6r
Ground = 0,6r

The FAW Noir Hybrid (9' with Xlr to se adapter) has:
Left = 0,25r
Right = 0,25r
Ground = 0,2r

Keep in mind that my multimeter is a standard device, non professional. :)
I've already removed the resistance of the multimeter.

Other things to think about is the variance of capacitance of different cables as a whole and the workmanship behind that.

While the Quad oem cable isn't as ugly and stubborn as the Beyerdynamic T1 oem cable, the FAW is miles ahead in terms of comfort and craftsmanship.

It flows like silk down my chest and can be wound very finely.

If you're curios about it, i'd advice to wait for Black Friday sale on Forza Audioworks to get it 30% off. :wink:
Bought mine for less than 245 € instead of 350 €.
The 3.5 to xlr extender charged me another 114 €.
For me, it is worth every cent. :)

I'm fully satisfied with and it fits to the Quad, D9200 and SEM5, which is a great benefit.
Hi Chris, did you ever get on top of your imbalance between left and right? The pair I have just picked up has it. Nothing the balance knob on my amp can’t sort but it’s noticeable straight from my Hugo2. Definitely not the cable or anything upstream as I’ve tried different pairs

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back