Question - IEMs and Amps
Feb 10, 2021 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

taipan254

100+ Head-Fier
SITUATION: I have a Chord 2Qute that I want to continue using. I also have a pair of sensitive IEMs that I love (Campfire Ara) and typically use with my LG Quad ESS DAC-enabled phone. I would love to use these IEMs with my Chord DAC. However, when using a regular amplifier, the gain is just too damn high. Right now, the best solution I have is:

Chord 2Qute --> RCA Interconnect --> Audioquest RCA to Male 2.5mm Dongle --> Female 2.5mm to Female 2.5mm adapter --> iFi IE Match --> Campfire Ara. Further attenuation via digital volume control on Audirvana.

Shockingly, this sounds really good, but I sense that there's a simpler solution out there that I just don't know about.

QUESTION FOR THE FORUM: Is there a better solution here like an IEM-focused amplifier that impedance matches and even steps down the voltage / power output from my DAC so I get full dynamic range?

I would love to enjoy my Chord DAC and these sensitive IEMs and therefore appreciate any and all feedback / suggestions.

Thanks!

Feb 10, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 2
I use the Topping L30 amp for this.
It has 3 gain settings from -9 dB to 0 dB to +9 dB, so suitable for highly demanding cans/planars all the way to highly sensitive IEMs. I use the -9 dB setting for said sensitive IEMs, no hiss, dark background, very neutralish and transparent.

Do note that previous batches of the L30 had an ESD/DC issue, but Topping has implemented recalls for them and newer batches that are sold since december 2020 (serial number starting 2012) have implemented the fixes. I just received a 2012 series Topping L30 yesterday (Topping and HIFIGO kindly did a replacement for me), and it works like a charm.

One other alternative is to use a cheap dongle DAC/AMP, something like the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, it costs less than $30 USD, very transparent with good measurements and doesn't get warm. No hiss, low output impedance, so suitable for highly sensitive IEMs. It can't drive high powered cans or planars, but will do a good job for most IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back