RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
May 11, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #1,771 of 1,947
WOW!!!
The generocity of HeadFi members is frankly remarkable and stunning @MokhaMark .

You are now one of the few in North America (or anywhere) that has BOTH of the Raal to do a true A/B.
I am looking forward to your take @Hiker816 as I prefer a more forward, detailed and dynamic presentation!
The really cool thing is, @Hiker816 actually has all four Raal headphones in one place now! We're all looking forward to more impressions.

May 11, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #1,772 of 1,947
May 11, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #1,773 of 1,947
The real question in my mind is whether the Immanis is so good Susvara owners would be willing to part with it. I loved the electrostatic detail, gigantic stage and speed of the SR1a but its anemic bass and sub bass was just too disappointing for more than occasional use not to mention the need to constantly fiddle with the angulation and proximity of the drivers to the auricle. So I am anxiously awaiting an audition with the Immanis and Envy to make the decision. Can the Immanis compete and exceed the richness and full bodied expression of a symphony or jazz quartet the way a really good amped Susvara can?? That is the question to justify another $9,000 upgrade.
Well, I'll let you know within a few months. :relaxed:

From my limited audition time with Immanis at CanJam NYC, I can say it clearly performs on a higher technical level than Susvara. To my ears, both cans offer a balanced, organic, and coherent sonic experience, and are genre-agnostic. The Immanis has the more impressive soundstage and resolution. Note that while I could appreciate the technicals of the SR1a, I was never tempted to buy it, largely for the reasons you cite above. I never had a chance to audition the CA-1a.

FWIW, the 6moons review of Magna did have some comparative notes with Susvara starting on page 8. Some people find his prose hard to parse, but I was able to decipher it. YMMV.

May 11, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #1,774 of 1,947
The real question in my mind is whether the Immanis is so good Susvara owners would be willing to part with it. I loved the electrostatic detail, gigantic stage and speed of the SR1a but its anemic bass and sub bass was just too disappointing for more than occasional use not to mention the need to constantly fiddle with the angulation and proximity of the drivers to the auricle. So I am anxiously awaiting an audition with the Immanis and Envy to make the decision. Can the Immanis compete and exceed the richness and full bodied expression of a symphony or jazz quartet the way a really good amped Susvara can?? That is the question to justify another $9,000 upgrade.
Hi @tunes that seems to be an often asked question so far. I owned the Susvara for around 6 months but it was over a year ago and I do not feel comfortable citing specifics from memory. The most I could volunteer, preferences and confirmatory bias aside, I would be shocked if any fan of Susvara (like me) will be disappointed in the Immanis. No doubt direct comparisons will follow.

May 11, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #1,775 of 1,947
Well, I'll let you know within a few months. :relaxed:

From my limited audition time with Immanis at CanJam NYC, I can say it clearly performs on a higher technical level than Susvara. To my ears, both cans offer a balanced, organic, and coherent sonic experience, and are genre-agnostic. The Immanis has the more impressive soundstage and resolution. Note that while I could appreciate the technicals of the SR1a, I was never tempted to buy it, largely for the reasons you cite above. I never had a chance to audition the CA-1a.

FWIW, the 6moons review of Magna did have some comparative notes with Susvara starting on page 8. Some people find his prose hard to parse, but I was able to decipher it. YMMV.

I also thought it was a clear step (at least technically) above the level of the Susvara, which is impressive given just how good the Susvara is.

I mentioned this in the Susvara thread a few weeks ago and I think here too more recently... it'll be interesting to see, but I specifically think a lot of people that loved it will enjoy the Immanis for similar reasons, and get a bit of an upgrade as well.

May 13, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #1,777 of 1,947
It seems like Envy is not gonna be the best synergy for the Immanis apparently, I haven't heard any of it, but my impressions from different people basically saying that

May 13, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #1,778 of 1,947
It seems like Envy is not gonna be the best synergy for the Immanis apparently, I haven't heard any of it, but my impressions from different people basically saying that
It's all subjective.
Envy AE + Immanis was my favourite pairing at Munich high end.

However show conditions are far from ideal to assess that in depth

May 13, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #1,779 of 1,947
I am team Immanis + Viva Egoista 2A3! Nice clean, detailed and meaty presentation. :)
I found the Immanis + Envy also a bit to lean for my taste. But these are High End Show impressions, so take this with a bag of salt.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #1,780 of 1,947
Vitaliy from Flux Lab Acoustics has heard it from the Envy in the Munich High End show, based on the photos he shared it seems like the regular wooden Envy (And maybe the AE as well but I'm not sure), he thought the headphones are interesting, but sort of overpriced, and he was wondering if the interface was not doing it justice / limiting it in any way. Just sharing his impressions here, don't think he's gonna post here soon.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #1,781 of 1,947
Vitaliy from Flux Lab Acoustics has heard it from the Envy in the Munich High End show, based on the photos he shared it seems like the regular wooden Envy (And maybe the AE as well but I'm not sure), he thought the headphones are interesting, but sort of overpriced, and he was wondering if the interface was not doing it justice / limiting it in any way. Just sharing his impressions here, don't think he's gonna post here soon.
What do you mean with "interface"? I was quite impressed with the Immanis in Munich. Listened to it exclusively with the Riviera ... honestly wasn't disappointed in any facet.

May 13, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #1,782 of 1,947
What do you mean with "interface"? I was quite impressed with the Immanis in Munich. Listened to it exclusively with the Riviera ... honestly wasn't disappointed in any facet.
He means the Transformer Interface in the headphone stand as potential weak link compared to direct drive amps, if I understood him correctly

Personally I don't think it is a weak link but instead very transparent and lets the amplifier signature shine through

May 13, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #1,783 of 1,947
He means the Transformer Interface in the headphone stand as potential weak link compared to direct drive amps, if I understood him correctly

Personally I don't think it is a weak link but instead very transparent and lets the amplifier signature shine through

a direct quote "В мене є стійке відчуття, що той транс має певні обмеження по роботі драйвера"
"I have a strong feeling that that trans has certain restrictions on the operation of the driver"

Obviously talking about the Transformer.

May 13, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #1,784 of 1,947

Big pinch of salt to be taken from that, differing opinions / preferences for fav pairing with Immanis and rolling tubes obviously makes a big difference to what comes out the other end, particularly for genres played. Best to let your own ears be the judge IMO.

I'm pretty sure all of those amps used with Immanis at Munich sounded most excellent or Aleks / amp manufacturers wouldn't be pairing them. Very hard to not get sucked into the "what's best pairing" mindset, it's all very subjective. 👍

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #1,785 of 1,947
This is actually the first TOTL headphone that has consistent positive impressions from fellow members here. I’ve been a fan of Raal since the early days of SR-1a, continued with CA-1a and now I really can’t wait to get my hands on Immanis. Kudos to @Aleksandar R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back