RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Apr 28, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #1,411 of 1,800
I had the option of selling my Holo Serene preamp yesterday, but I sold my Benchmark LA4 instead (I now have the HPA4 preamp). I would have preferred to keep the LA4 for my 2-channel system in the Livingroom, however, I thought the Serene sounded rather good with the Immanis and it is also good on my 2-channel system. The LA4 does not support the Immanis.

The Holo Serene is a weaker amp than in the Holo Bliss. I am going off memory, but I think I liked the Serene +Immanis over the VM-1a + CA-1a. I love this combo in Pentode mode, and it is what I have left at home.

Of course, the Immanis sounded the best for me with the VM-1a. Only issue I have with the VM-1a is that it only has 1 source input and I only have 1 unit in my office. Unlike the preamps that are in different rooms.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #1,412 of 1,800
Hi,
I have a question regarding Chord Dave and Immanis to @Aleksandar R. and possibly @innocentblood (since he has Dave and Immanis).
According to https://raalrequisite.com/raal-1995-at-canjam-new-york-city/ Immanis needs only 1.5 Watt so...
would be possible to use Immanis with the combination of Chord Dave headphone output ( 1/4TRS Jack Headphone Output 1.4 Watt at 33 Ohm) TRS interconnect cable and interface/stand ?
It is possible Dave is able to give 2.8 Watt at 16 Ohm but I am not sure...
With regards, Martin
That statement on the website can be misleading if you don’t know to what it refers. It was a statement made some time ago about a comparison with the SR-1a/b which said when using the TI-1b interface if a SET amp could power the SR-1a/b with 6W the Immanis would generate the same spl with only 1.5W. My comment here is from memory and therefore could also be missing something important in the context.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #1,413 of 1,800
The Bliss is designed around Susvara so whatever you're talking about regarding not enough power.
Only because something is designed to fullfill a certain job, it does not mean that it actually excels at it.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #1,414 of 1,800
The Bliss is designed around Susvara so whatever you're talking about regarding not enough power.
Now the tube trolls came, oof.
Dude maybe cut the butthurt toxic stuff. I owned Bliss its a great amp, but its far bellow something like Envy, especially when it comes to Sus its not even close. It doesnt stop with Envy, there are amps that will be even bette than it for Susvara for certain things like Rivera and there will be dacs that are more detailed and meaty with Sus than May. Some gear is simply a step up which is often reflected by its cost. I have zero illusions about something like Rockna Wavedream Signature outperforming my May and thats alright.

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #1,415 of 1,800
Now the tube trolls came, oof.
I agree. The Bliss is one of the top amps for Susvara and is terrific with it. It is also a very quiet amp and phenomenal with IEMs if anyone cares to try. The difference between it and the 465 and the Riviera is allot closer than you might think. If you compare it to a more colored and warmer sounding amp it will, of course, sound totally different.
I look forward to testing it with the Immanis ( hopefully later this year, but who knows ).

It will be interesting to hear how the Immanis sounds with a wide variety of amps using its interface.

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #1,416 of 1,800
I agree. The Bliss is one of the top amps for Susvara and is terrific with it. It is also a very quiet amp and phenomenal with IEMs if anyone cares to try. The difference between it and the 465 and the Riviera is allot closer than you might think. If you compare it to a more colored and warmer sounding amp it will, of course, sound totally different.
I look forward to testing it with the Immanis ( hopefully later this year, but who knows ).

It will be interesting to hear how the Immanis sounds with a wide variety of amps using its interface.
It is very hard to get a clear idea of how 2 amps compare objectively, as much as that is a thing, when subjective preference exists. People will come out saying x is so much better than y, and that could be true for them, but doesn't necessarily mean it will be for you. I think it will be as Aleks said, that we should all just use amps that we like, and trust Immanis to communicate that amp's flavor clearly.

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #1,417 of 1,800
It is very hard to get a clear idea of how 2 amps compare objectively, as much as that is a thing, when subjective preference exists. People will come out saying x is so much better than y, and that could be true for them, but doesn't necessarily mean it will be for you. I think it will be as Aleks said, that we should all just use amps that we like, and trust Immanis to communicate that amp's flavor clearly.
I actually like to read other heads-fier thoughts even if different than mine. I feel I get a better spectrum of performance of a product vs a reviewer with potentially ulterior motives. As I get to know the head-fiers based on them describing something I am familiar with, I can then get a good understanding of what they personally prefer.

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #1,418 of 1,800
I am a detail guy and when I read ‘warm’ with detail regarding the Immanis Im a bit confused.

Do some equate warm with a fuller sounds where I see it as romantic and rolled off highs and less detail?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #1,419 of 1,800
I am a detail guy and when I read ‘warm’ with detail regarding the Immanis a bit confused.

Do some equate warm with a fuller soind where I see it as romantic and rolled off highs and less detail?
That’s an interpretation of words problem that exists for all of us. The Immanis I suppose can be described as warmer and fuller than the SR-1b but for a first time ribbon listener it will be anything but warm. It does not have rolled off highs and less detail, if anything it has more detail, it’s just that it’s more refined than the SR-1b and therefore could be perceived as having less detail. It certainly has much stronger bass than the SR-1b and that can also lead you to think it’s warmer. We’re all different and we all reference things in different ways; don’t over-react to any one individuals thoughts about the Immanis, their preferences and music listening habits could be completely different to yours.

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #1,420 of 1,800
I am a detail guy and when I read ‘warm’ with detail regarding the Immanis a bit confused.

Do some equate warm with a fuller soind where I see it as romantic and rolled off highs and less detail?
Same here, I am hopelessly in love with speed, detail, transparency, and spaciousness, which is why I pair my SR-1b with a Benchmark HPA4, the best I have heard in this regard. I saw a review of the SR-1b that detracted from their sound, saying they bring details that should be in the background to the front. I don't know about that, but if so, who cares? I think you can have both warmth and detail, which is what those who have heard the Magnas and Immanis are saying.

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #1,421 of 1,800
That’s an interpretation of words problem that exists for all of us. The Immanis I suppose can be described as warmer and fuller than the SR-1b but for a first time ribbon listener it will be anything but warm. It does not have rolled off highs and less detail, if anything it has more detail, it’s just that it’s more refined than the SR-1b and therefore could be perceived as having less detail. It certainly has much stronger bass than the SR-1b and that can also lead you to think it’s warmer. We’re all different and we all reference things in different ways; don’t over-react to any one individuals thoughts about the Immanis, their preferences and music listening habits could be completely different to yours.
This is a very good explanation from what I also heard. The Immanis has more detail than the SR1a and CA-1b. It also sounds smoother or nicer when that detail is presented.

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #1,422 of 1,800

I do not equate warmth with less detail, though a bit dependent on how it is used. The definition of it is below:

Warm/Warmth – A quality of sound defined by fullness, engaging vocals, bumped mid-bass, and a clear midrange. Warm sound is often described as "cozy" or "pleasant"; excessive warmth may be described as "laid back" or "lush."

It does not have to mean less detail. Especially if it is used as “a bit warmer,” “ slightly warmer,” etc.
If I hear “overly warm,” then detail and timbre issues concern me.

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #1,423 of 1,800
Thank you to all who helped me understand how a ‘bit warm’ can still be detailed, particularly in a Raal.

I have absolutely 0 ribbon experience and want to choose the right model, Magna or Immanis!!!

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #1,424 of 1,800
Hey friends, I have spent now about 30 hours listening with the Magna and have 12 pages of notes to consolidate before sharing impressions.

I know there is a lot of interest for the Immanis (I share it and I am in line for it also). But, the Magna is amazing. Absolutely amazing. I encourage everyone to get a listen, especially if you own the SR1a already.

Here's a small excerpt from my notes:

The Magna is not an “also ran” in the shadow of the Immanis. I find it to be the most versatile and "all rounder" capable headphone I have owned yet, especially as a partner to the SR1a. It may also represent a better choice for listeners with a focus on specific genre that will capitalize on its bass energy, its overall visceral engagement, and what I refer to more than once, the sense of live venue listening.

The Magna is a dynamic as hell, detailed, spacious listen. Punchy bass combines with rich, substantive midrange/vocals, and the hyper detail and speed typical of ribbon drivers. It is the perfect complement to the SR1a, bringing a warmth and weight that the SR1a does not have in the same measure. The Magna is an extremely detailed and technical headphone. It reproduces as much of the source material as any headphone I have heard. And it has fun doing it.

The Magna is not simply 66.6% of an Immanis. It is a unique top of line headphone worthy of consideration in its own right.

_DSC0101-2.jpg

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #1,425 of 1,800
Hey friends, I have spent now about 30 hours listening with the Magna and have 12 pages of notes to consolidate before sharing impressions.

I know there is a lot of interest for the Immanis (I share it and I am in line for it also). But, the Magna is amazing. Absolutely amazing. I encourage everyone to get a listen, especially if you own the SR1a already.

Here's a small excerpt from my notes:

The Magna is not an “also ran” in the shadow of the Immanis. I find it to be the most versatile and "all rounder" capable headphone I have owned yet, especially as a partner to the SR1a. It may also represent a better choice for listeners with a focus on specific genre that will capitalize on its bass energy, its overall visceral engagement, and what I refer to more than once, the sense of live venue listening.

The Magna is a dynamic as hell, detailed, spacious listen. Punchy bass combines with rich, substantive midrange/vocals, and the hyper detail and speed typical of ribbon drivers. It is the perfect complement to the SR1a, bringing a warmth and weight that the SR1a does not have in the same measure. The Magna is an extremely detailed and technical headphone. It reproduces as much of the source material as any headphone I have heard. And it has fun doing it.

The Magna is not simply 66.6% of an Immanis. It is a unique top of line headphone worthy of consideration in its own right.

_DSC0101-2.jpg
From your description it sounds like CA-1a on steroids 👍🏼

Users who are viewing this thread

Back