RAAL-requisite CA-1a Circum-Aural Ribbon Headphone is here! @HeadAmp
Jun 22, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #16 of 1,050
I’ve been in this hobby for 10 years an the term “giant killer” gets tossed around a lot I think this is the first time that it’s actually applicable…
A “giant killer”? At $2000 plus cost of amp? I thought a giant killer was an inexpensive headphone that slayed an expensive one. Where is the inexpensive headphone in this equation?

Jun 22, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #17 of 1,050
A “giant killer”? At $2000 plus cost of amp? I thought a giant killer was an inexpensive headphone that slayed an expensive one. Where is the inexpensive headphone in this equation?

Every $2000 headphone is plus amp. I believe the giant it's aiming for is high end electrostats, which by comparison, makes this indeed the bargain you seek.

Jun 22, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #18 of 1,050

$2500, is the all-in price with the TI box

And quite frankly I find that it sounds better than even a number of headphones that are around and above $4000, although my preference is more so for studio neutral so a lot of these well-known headphones have a little bit of emphasis here and there that some people really like but maybe isn’t to my tastes

Should a landscape where there are so many 4000, 5000 and $6000 headphones I feel that this at 2500 sounds better than quite a lot an offers of those options

But of course, hopefully you took a moment to hear it for yourself, because I can only speak from my experiences and to my preferences

And I’m not sure that we have the same preferences so it is likely that your opinion will differ from mine

Jun 22, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #19 of 1,050
Every $2000 headphone is plus amp. I believe the giant it's aiming for is high end electrostats, which by comparison, makes this indeed the bargain you seek.

Not just electrostatics but there are some Planter magnetics that are really getting above and beyond themselves plus a few new dynamics

Now Some of these products are beautifully manufactured and are simply a joy to have both in a collection and on your person which is part of their cost,

But, imo, if your only concern is sound quality first and foremost this one’s tough to beat.

And the things that beat it are quite a bit more expensive and for good reason as those products are absolutely world class, But not everybody is in a position to have an own that kind of gear so again it’s nice to have an option that is accessible while still being absolutely a top perform

Jun 22, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #20 of 1,050
Not just electrostatics but there are some Planter magnetics that are really getting above and beyond themselves plus a few new dynamics

Sure, basically anything in that upper price bracket north of 4k or so seems to be the target. E-stats among them. And no one is born with an amp. If you already have one for you dynamic cans and planars, well you already spent the money, but it was still an expense. Ribbon driver and e stats still need amps too

Jun 22, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #21 of 1,050
Sure, basically anything in that upper price bracket north of 4k or so seems to be the target. E-stats among them. And no one is born with an amp. If you already have one for you dynamic cans and planars, well you already spent the money, but it was still an expense. Ribbon driver and e stats still need amps too
My point is you can't use the RAAL without the specific amp.

Jun 22, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #22 of 1,050
And if all I have is an iphone and earbuds I can't use an HD800 without a specific amp. If all I have is an HD800 and an amp for it, I can't use Stax without a specific amp.

Jun 22, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #23 of 1,050

But you can… the TI-1a (which is included at the $2500 price) plugs into any traditional headphone amp, though that amp needs to have at least 2w or so out into 32ohms

It’s a passive transformer that just needs an existing amplifier which most people have so yea, they just get the standard package and plug it in

Jun 22, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #24 of 1,050
I hope this does end up slaying some giants. The price is refreshing. The crumpled ball of paper aesthetic is an interesting one. pretty bold. I couldnt really get down with the mind-control device look of the ear-speakers, TBH

Jun 22, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #25 of 1,050
But, imo, if your only concern is sound quality first and foremost this one’s tough to beat.

I genuinely hope this headphone is as great as you say and that lots of people buy it and enjoy it. However, their argument that making it look ok would be too expensive or hurt the sound quality does not hold water with me. There are quite a few headphones below 1K that manage to excel at esthetics, sound, and comfort; including some from small manufacturers. The era of asking headphones buyers to sacrifice everything else for sound quality is long past (or it should be).

Jun 22, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #27 of 1,050
I genuinely hope this headphone is as great as you say and that lots of people buy it and enjoy it. However, their argument that making it look ok would be too expensive or hurt the sound quality does not hold water with me. There are quite a few headphones below 1K that manage to excel at esthetics, sound, and comfort; including some from small manufacturers. The era of asking headphones buyers to sacrifice everything else for sound quality is long past (or it should be).
I guess it all depends what ones definition of "excel" is. I've heard no headphones anywhere near the $1k mark that are able to convey without a leap of faith (given a recording capable of showing such things), real instruments being played in a real 3 dimensional space. Now maybe that's not a priority of yours (and that's all well and good...different strokes and all), but it is mine. I've been in this hobby more years than I care to remember, and IMHO there's no more underwhelming and underachieving segment of it than the headphones themselves. Very, very few approach getting it right. I think it's refreshing when a companies first priority is attempting to push the envelope sound-wise, damn the aesthetics.

Jun 22, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #28 of 1,050
But you can… the TI-1a (which is included at the $2500 price) plugs into any traditional headphone amp, though that amp needs to have at least 2w or so out into 32ohms

It’s a passive transformer that just needs an existing amplifier which most people have so yea, they just get the standard package and plug it in
20220608_163814.jpg

20220608_164133.jpg

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Jun 22, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #29 of 1,050
I prefer the CA-1a + VM-1a + RAAL silver cable to my prior Meze Empy + Benchmark HPA4 + WyWire cable. I have not tried the CA-1a yet on my Schitt Jotunheim R yet. That cost me $300 used. As I write this, I am motivated to try that amp tonight with the Benchmark DAC3B that I have been using with the VM-1a. The CA-1a has the potential to be very cost effective if it also sounds good with the JR. I have the naked CA-1a so, I can only try the VM-1a and JR.

BTW - I loved the Benchmark HPA4. Infact, I am currently trying to sell a CODA 07x preamp to buy a HPA4 again (or LA4) to replace the 3x more expensive CODA 07x.

Jun 22, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #30 of 1,050
I guess it all depends what ones definition of "excel" is. I've heard no headphones anywhere near the $1k mark that are able to convey without a leap of faith (given a recording capable of showing such things), real instruments being played in a real 3 dimensional space. Now maybe that's not a priority of yours (and that's all well and good...different strokes and all), but it is mine. I've been in this hobby more years than I care to remember, and IMHO there's no more underwhelming and underachieving segment of it than the headphones themselves. Very, very few approach getting it right. I think it's refreshing when a companies first priority is attempting to push the envelope sound-wise, damn the aesthetics.

There are very few examples of headphones at 2K and above where the companies did not have sound as a first priority. Most of them look pretty nice too.

I think you are missing my point though. I was not saying that the best headphones are available at under 1K. I was saying that there are a bunch of headphones that manage to sound very good, look good, and have excellent comfort at a significantly lower price point. They excel at sound vs lower priced headphones and compete with more expensive headphones on comfort and estetics. So cost is not a convincing argument for a 2K headphone to be rough looking.

Focal, Audeze, DCA, and quite a few others have ToTL headphones out there that manage to both look and sound really good. I get that is not the priority for everyone. For me, a headphone must sound great and must be comfortable. I don't need it to be beautiful, but I do prefer it.

That said, I agree that it is refreshing when a companies first priority is attempting to push the envelope sound-wise and I don't want to **** on these more than I already have. I wish them well. I hope they are great. I just wish they looked a lot more polished.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back