RAAL-requisite CA-1a Circum-Aural Ribbon Headphone is here! @HeadAmp
Apr 6, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #541 of 1,050
nor mine, I sold my bakoon 13r to partially fund it but I must admit I love the Raal HP's and this ups the game....bass is terrific...vocals are eerily good and all of the Raal virtues are simply better...the HSA-1b is quite good and very versatile giving one a back up amp for planars etc....you can find great deals for the 1b now
Any comparison with T1-1b & CFA3 combo?

Apr 6, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #542 of 1,050
I find the CFA with both the sr1a and ca-1a to be good but the direct drive is better to my ears significantly better but it is an indulgence due to cost

Apr 6, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #543 of 1,050
I find the CFA with both the sr1a and ca-1a to be good but the direct drive is better to my ears significantly better but it is an indulgence due to cost
damn, I need this then

Apr 9, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #544 of 1,050
Hello everybody !!. This is my first serious attempt to headphones, I tried before a few “best” headphones before but main reason for buying this CA-1A (apart from the good reviews) is because I need to play them with my current set-up and, I listens to a lot of vinyl too.
They are only like 30-40 hours , I got ill during burning period and I did not listen to them until last week, but now I’m enjoying them a lot.
They are superbly well constructed, photos did not make them justice. The satin of the cups is nicely done, metal parts, cables, leather, everything is beautiful and very well done. Pretty comfy and light. I like the looks.

Still, I need to get used to the spatial presentation (as on any kind of headphones, nothing to do with the RAALs) as I am very keen on speakers, apart from that, sound is wonderful.

As I am fully recovered now, I’m listening more and more from them (but still low hours).

I tried 32Ohm and 16Ohm from the interface, and for now and with my set-up I prefer the 32Ohm and Open Pads

My current set-up is:
Amp&Preamp: Dartzeel NHB-108 Model One + Dartzeel NHB-18NS
Digital: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
Analog : AMG Viella V12 + Lyra Etna SL
Speakers: Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy 8

Best Regards!!

pd: I wish I would be a better photographer haha

Attachments

• IMG_5570 copia.jpg
    IMG_5570 copia.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5571 copia.jpg
    IMG_5571 copia.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5572 copia.jpg
    IMG_5572 copia.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 10, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #545 of 1,050
Hello everybody !!. This is my first serious attempt to headphones, I tried before a few “best” headphones before but main reason for buying this CA-1A (apart from the good reviews) is because I need to play them with my current set-up and, I listens to a lot of vinyl too.
They are only like 30-40 hours , I got ill during burning period and I did not listen to them until last week, but now I’m enjoying them a lot.
They are superbly well constructed, photos did not make them justice. The satin of the cups is nicely done, metal parts, cables, leather, everything is beautiful and very well done. Pretty comfy and light. I like the looks.

Still, I need to get used to the spatial presentation (as on any kind of headphones, nothing to do with the RAALs) as I am very keen on speakers, apart from that, sound is wonderful.

As I am fully recovered now, I’m listening more and more from them (but still low hours).

I tried 32Ohm and 16Ohm from the interface, and for now and with my set-up I prefer the 32Ohm and Open Pads

My current set-up is:
Amp&Preamp: Dartzeel NHB-108 Model One + Dartzeel NHB-18NS
Digital: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
Analog : AMG Viella V12 + Lyra Etna SL
Speakers: Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy 8

Best Regards!!

pd: I wish I would be a better photographer haha
I'm really glad that you liked the design and execution and, of course, that you enjoy them a lot!
BTW, I love the Dartzeel sound!

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Apr 18, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #547 of 1,050
I tried an after market cable made for the SR1A on my CA1A + JOT R and immediately noticed a much lower volume than the original SC2 cable (more than -3 db for sure, maybe more) This doesn't happen with the SR1A, what's the reason?

Apr 18, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #548 of 1,050
I find my sr1a requires far more power than does the CA and cable makes a big difference..

Apr 19, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #549 of 1,050
I tried an after market cable made for the SR1A on my CA1A + JOT R and immediately noticed a much lower volume than the original SC2 cable (more than -3 db for sure, maybe more) This doesn't happen with the SR1A, what's the reason?
It sound weird and I have no idea why would that be.

So, with SC2 cable on both headphones, everything is OK, but with an aftermarket cable only the CA becomes quieter, correct?

Apr 19, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #550 of 1,050
I can see a difference but it would have to be in both HP's wouldnt it?...otherwise doesnt make sense

Apr 20, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #552 of 1,050
It sound weird and I have no idea why would that be.

So, with SC2 cable on both headphones, everything is OK, but with an aftermarket cable only the CA becomes quieter, correct?
I tried the SC2 cable only with the CA1a, the SR1a has the previous version cable.

Apr 20, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #553 of 1,050
I tried the SC2 cable only with the CA1a, the SR1a has the previous version cable.
I believe the previous cable was 7 feet for the original interface for use with full sized amps. Of course I could be wrong. :)

Apr 20, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #554 of 1,050
I believe the previous cable was 7 feet for the original interface for use with full sized amps. Of course I could be wrong. :)
Yes it’s the one with the black sleeve

Apr 20, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #555 of 1,050
Aha, OK.
So, in other words, when plugged into JotR, the aftermarket cable is quieter than the SC2, but equal in volume to the older standard cable that came with SR1.
From that, we can conclude that the aftermarket cable has a very similar resistance to the old standard cable.

The difference you've experienced is to be expected as the old cable for SR1 has 0.4 Ohms (and the aftermarket cable is about that much) and the SC2 has 0.23 Ohms.
Because of lower resistance, and being a "voltage source" the JotR wants to almost double the power when loaded with almost half the resistance, hence the difference in perceived volume at a fixed pot position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back