RAAL-requisite CA-1a - Mini Review
Aug 24, 2022 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

FullBright1

Headphoneus Supremus
Edited : 10-19-2022

Raal-requisite Ca-1a - Mini Review.

1.) Box. (2) Black Substantial Cardboard Boxes. .. One contains the ohm converter Brick and a short 4 pin cable . The other black box contains the RaaL Headphones and 2 sets of custom pads and a nice black cloth headphone cable.

2.) Cable : 3 Meter obo. Black Cloth, nice.

3.) Pads.. 2 Sets ..... Slanted, comfortable, total black foam design

4.) Headband : Its Leather, and very soft

5.) RaaL Ca-1a overall comfort : Its Good. The headphone pads are comfy and the headphones frame design sits well balanced on your head. The clamp force is soft. The Ca-1a will fit larger heads, smaller heads and any size ears.

6.) Build Quality : Solidly Retro
-------

I am reviewing the Raal right out of the box, first listening impressions. Call it "Honeymoon" if you like.

Let me say that Ive never heard the Previous Raal Ear Phones, so i can't comment by comparison regarding if these sound better, similar, or etc.

Now let me get right to the gear.
Its quite possibly a classic in the making. And what i mean by that, is that this one is going to take time to appreciate, because what it does is very special and it often takes time for the special to stand up and be counted.
IN this last 12 months, ive owned or own the Susvara, the ZMF Verite closed, the Final Audio 8000 Pro, the Abyss TC, my 3rd set of Rosson Rad-O's, the DCA Stealth, DCA Noire, Senn 800S, The Hifiman Stealth and XS and HEKSE and HEKV2. Ive owned again the Empyrean and for the 1st time and not the last time....the Meze Elite. And i can say with assurance that this new Raal sounds nothing like any of those gears. It has a uniquely engineered reference sound that i wager will eventually become a "keeper" regarding real Audiophiles who will take a chance on it.
Its not a set of headphones that break music into bits and pieces of FR for you to dissect.. Instead it sounds more like floor standing speakers.

Its a unique gear that offerers a beautiful sound that is easy to listen to for long sessions because of its warm and natural sound that yields ample detail.

Overall the new RaaL's are designed strictly for excellent sonic performance.
Within 2 mins of listening to the Raal's fine sound, you realize that you are listening to something special.
There are 2 sets of Pads.. One is designed to somewhat simulate the Previous Raal headphone's sound, and is aimed at listeners who prefer outstanding neutrality + excellent detail.
The 2nd Set, produces more richness in the low end and slightly more soundstage.

The first few days i owned the RaaLs, i used the solid pads and for the last month ive used the slotted pads that proved the most neutral sound.

Having tried a lot of amps i can say that any amp that has decent power will easily power the new Raal's. They us an "OMN" Brick rated at 16 or 32, and you plug it into your Amp's Balanced Headphone out, and then you control the CA-1a's volume with your Amp's volume knob. .
Im using a Ferrum ERCO, a Fiio K9 Pro, and a TEAC UD-505 and the Topping A90 Discrete, and they all work perfectly with the Raal's setup requirements.
This Raal sounds good with every amp-dac combo ive used.

So...."how does this RaaL gear sound"? And is the CA-1A, worth : $2500.00
Well, you will be the final judge upon ownership, but i'm happy to provide you with some basic idea of what to expect when you hear them for yourself.

Now, what does this gear do for sound.... how to describe it?

A.) Natural and Beautiful.

The new RaaL sounds natural and beautiful based on its Ribbon Driver Tech.. Ribbon Tech sounds nothing like a Planar and nothing like a Dynamic. The new Raal also sounds nothing like the HEDD-phone Ribbon system or any set of headphones that use Beryllium drivers.
The new RaaL delivers a very natural sound.
The best way i can describe it's sound, is that its slightly warm, sweet very natural, nicely detailed. and not dry.

There is no hyped treble, there is no sucked out mids, and there is no lack of bass extension.
No one frequency is dominate. The CA-1A's sound is balanced, detailed, natural, and has a mildly "analog" tonality that i was not expecting to hear from 2 RIBBON drivers.
Frankly i was expecting the Raal to be a treble canon, and its not that at all.

Its a immersive audiophile sound that offers warmth and fullness and nice detail.
Its not a Hifiman, whereby the treble is trying to overcook the detail. Its not a recent Abyss whereby the upper mids are hyped for the same reason... The Raal Gear uncovers what is in the music and plays it for you beautifully. Some headphones push the sound into your ears and the new Raal's present it to your ears.
-
1.) Treble.: Its detailed but its not etched. Its not dominate. Its a fatigue free Treble. RaaL has designed the Treble to be accurate vs hyper extended.
All the micro information is there but not like a Planar where you often get too much..such as what Hifiman Treble produces.

2.) Midrange : Its sweet and natural and smooth and non forward and non aggressive . This was my 2nd biggest surprise regarding the Raal, as i had anticipated that the Ribbons would produce a bit of edge in the midrange, but there is none. In fact its in the Midrange that the CA-1As produce their tonal sweetness.

3.) Upper Bass : I dont detect any bloat, but because the Ca-1a's overall tone is quite warm, it could be that the upper bass is the reason. It does not encroach upon the midrange, but there is a balanced fullness regarding the upper bass frequency.

4.) Deep Bass : Its textured. Its very full when using the non-notched pads. Its dynamic but not quite a "slam". Bass is in no way lacking in extension or resolution.

5.) Soundstage : Immersive. Its not so wide that you lose "in the front", and there is a deepness to the SS that helps the overall sense of "Euphoric" that this gear presents.

6.) Instrument separation : Very accurate.

Micro Detail : Revealing but not clinically hyper-detailed.

Macro Detail : Again, no shortage.

Timbre : Sweet and Natural

Overall Resolution : Able to deliver a natural sound that is also accurately detailed.

How does this gear stand up against the BEST : Audeze, Hifiman, Final Audio, Abyss, & Meze, To my ears, its in the same league but does not sound like any of those.

The Raal CA-1a certainly performs at a high end "audiophile gear" level. It's tonal balance and the beautiful naturalness that it presents as its sound make this gear very special.
The lovely sound it produces is unlike Planar or Dynamic sound, but in a good way.

It offers a richness in the overall tonality that is soundly unique, which is it's magic.
The Ribbon Tech inside these new RaaL's brings out the beauty in your music, and also offers very insightful detail.

Verdict : If you were not quite satisfied with the Empyrean or Elite,...... and the DCA Stealth, The LCD-5, and the Susvara just weren't 'it"... then you should give the Raal CA-1a a listen for a few days.
Its very good.

-
-
DSCF0494.JPG
DSCF0495.JPG

-
-

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 90
Thank you very much for sharing your impressions. I have been curious about Raal headphones ever since I saw pictures of the SR1a and did some reading about them. Someday I am going to have to give a pair of Raals a try. It seems people either really like them or just can't get used to them based on the reviews that I have read, but the reviews by those that enjoy them deacribe a headphone I would very much like to hear.

Anyways, thanks again for putting out the effort to share your experience. One question though, are the Raals going to be sticking around any longer that the other dozen or so headphones you've owned in the last 12 months? 😉

Aug 28, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #4 of 90
Thank you very much for sharing your impressions. I have been curious about Raal headphones ever since I saw pictures of the SR1a and did some reading about them. Someday I am going to have to give a pair of Raals a try. It seems people either really like them or just can't get used to them based on the reviews that I have read, but the reviews by those that enjoy them deacribe a headphone I would very much like to hear.

Anyways, thanks again for putting out the effort to share your experience. One question though, are the Raals going to be sticking around any longer that the other dozen or so headphones you've owned in the last 12 months? 😉

I was Happy to review the new Raals.
I like to buy the "new". and sometimes its not a disappointment.
This gear is one of a few that i'll sell and later buy again because its not a disappointment.

Ive noticed that the MM500 is already listed here for sale and there has been one set of the CA-1A's for sale already. :)

Of course nothing can compete with all the ZMF Verite's and LCD-5s that are for sale, and ive noticed that a lot of DCA Steath's and Susvara's are "for sale".

Thats the thing... As, you can't pay enough money to insure that you are going to love the sound of a set of headphones..
You just have to buy them and then you'll know.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 90
Thanks for the review. I want to make sure I correctly understand your impression, as it's contrary to my understanding and experience.

"There are 2 sets of Pads.. One is probably designed to simulate the Previous Raal headphone's sound, and most listeners will prefer the 2nd all solid set which does not have any notches removed from the foam material.

This Raal gear is created to function its best with the cups that do not have the cut out sections, as its a day and night sonic difference, between the 2 sets of pads."

It is my understanding the pads with the notches are considered the baseline/go to pads and the ones without the notch have a more exaggerated sound for sources such as youtube videos.

Aug 28, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 90
I was Happy to review the new Raals.
I like to buy the "new". and sometimes its not a disappointment.
This gear is one of a few that i'll sell and later buy again because its not a disappointment.

Ive noticed that the MM500 is already listed here for sale and there has been one set of the CA-1A's for sale already. :)

Of course nothing can compete with all the ZMF Verite's and LCD-5s that are for sale, and ive noticed that a lot of DCA Steath's and Susvara's are "for sale".

Thats the thing... As, you can't pay enough money to insure that you are going to love the sound of a set of headphones..
You just have to buy them and then you'll know.

I wasn't criticising you. I have been on the headphone carousel before myself and I get how that goes. I was just wondering if you liked the Raal enough to keep them for an extended period or if you're planning to sell them along like you have many others over the last year. Just curious, that's all.

Aug 28, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 90
How big does bass hit? Can it handle bass eq for more SPL in that region?

Aug 28, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 90
I've considered ribbon tweeters the best since I put a set on my DQ-10's in '83. Better than estats, better than non true ribbon Maggie's. I've got a pair of Fountek X-3's on my Triangle speakers. The Raals (considered by most to be the best ribbon tweets going) appear in some notable speakers like the Selah and BMR. I owned the Duetta, and long term borrowed the Maggie 3.7i - two of the few ribbon with planar hybrids speakers ever made. I'm all in.

I was very glad to see the SR-1 show up, but they are difficult to drive and the bass just seemed like estat bass - not enough and lacking dynamics. In fact in total they lack dynamics. To use the Audiophile tag - excellent microdynamics but Enh macrodynamics.

Going to make a date to hear these right away. Fullbright1 tends to get excited about the same gear I do. Let's see.

Aug 28, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 90
Thank you for taking the time to describe your experiences with the CA-1a. The included TI-1a/b 'transformer interface' is indeed impressive and a welcome nod towards users with an existing amplifier setup that they're comfortable with. I'm tempted to try these out but I still have some apprehension about whether the unique dispersion pattern of a ribbon within a traditional headphone cup will present a satisfying illusion of 'stage' and 'imaging'. I may need to wait for additional info.

In related news: A member of the r/headphones subreddit has already created custom 3D printed baffles for use with other pads. The removable tabbed baffle design was a great move by RAAL and easy mods like this will open the door to all sorts of comfort and sound enhancements.

Aug 29, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #10 of 90
In related news: A member of the r/headphones subreddit has already created custom 3D printed baffles for use with other pads. The removable tabbed baffle design was a great move by RAAL and easy mods like this will open the door to all sorts of comfort and sound enhancements.
I have Audeze ear pads on mine, just to make it easier to wipe and clean. Also feels better on the face than the foam, IMO. It's easy to swap between to the stock pads so just experimenting at the moment.

PXL_20220829_042000772.jpg

Aug 29, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #11 of 90
How big does bass hit? Can it handle bass eq for more SPL in that region?
I have a 4.9db shelf at 88hz q.67 set for mine with no issues experienced. Peak test 95db

Aug 29, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #12 of 90
I have Audeze ear pads on mine, just to make it easier to wipe and clean. Also feels better on the face than the foam, IMO. It's easy to swap between to the stock pads so just experimenting at the moment.

That's true, you could just use adhesive for everything. It would be cool to get some custom baffles made with a lip to secure a bunch of different pads in the normal way or replicate a locking system like that used on AKG K7 series.

Audeze pads look like a major improvement in comfort but those are some large solid sidewalls. Are you noticing any major changes to the sound?

Aug 31, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #13 of 90
It is my understanding the pads with the notches are considered the baseline/go to pads and the ones without the notch have a more exaggerated sound for sources such as youtube videos.

The Raal's ship with the notched pads installed.
In general.......The "notched" pads create a very linear sound. The "2nd" set, offer more fullness in the low end and more warmth in the treble range.
According to some reviews.... the "notched" pads offer more of that original Raal #1 sound, but, as this gear is an actual set of headphones, it is different.

Aug 31, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #14 of 90
I wasn't criticising you. I have been on the headphone carousel before myself and I get how that goes. I was just wondering if you liked the Raal enough to keep them for an extended period or if you're planning to sell them along like you have many others over the last year. Just curious, that's all.

We are just having a conversation.. I detected no criticism.
I do buy and sell a lot of headphones.

My goal for the last 5 yrs was to own every set of headphones, that were/are classified = could be considered an "Audiophile" gear.
I have 98% accomplished this goal.
The main difference between me and the "youtube" reviewers, is that i don't have to fake high praise so that the Headphone builders keep sending me free stuff.
I actually buy all mine, and that allows me to review without the concern that if i dont give a good long review kiss to every gear, the Headphone companies will stop sending me the free toys "to review".
I personally dont believe that its humanly possible to build a Youtube <>review<> Channel based on "free stuff they send me", and never bow the knee to the reality that "if im TOO honest, Abyss and Audeze and Hifiman, and all the others, will cut off my supply of free toys that i review to make MONEY">.
This is one of the reasons why i dont operate a Youtube review channel, and i only have a Youtube Music Channel that does not accept money for "likes" or "hits'.
I created it strictly for the Headphone(s) lovers among us.

You do have to admire these youtube reviewers who seem to be building a "Like this Video Review" empire, without having to actually pay for most of the gear.
Z Reviews is the anointed King of that Universe, and Josh V orbits in that celestial playground as well.
I enjoy them both and agree with Z about 47% of the time, and its about the same ratio : with Josh.
Z has a lot more overall listening experience than JV, BUT, Z likes a more "consumer profile" headphone sound.
You know.. "V" shaped.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #15 of 90
We are just having a conversation.. I detected no criticism.
I do buy and sell a lot of headphones. And i'll sell this set, only to buy something else i have not tried yet, which is the Abyss Diana Phi, which i just bought yesterday.
So, once that one arrives, this set of RAAL's, will be heading to a new happy owner.
Here is the Caveat ..... I'll buy this gear again, as its one of a handful, literally, that i would own again, as its exceptional, in my opinion.

My goal for the last 5 yrs was to own every set of headphones, that were/are classified = could be considered an "Audiophile" gear.
I have accomplished this goal.
The main difference between me and the "youtube" reviewers, is that i don't have to fake high praise so that the Headphone builders keep sending me free stuff.
I actually buy all mine, and that allows me to review without the concern that if i dont give a good long review kiss to every gear, the Headphone companies will stop sending me the free toys "to review".
I dont believe that its possible to build a Youtube Channel on "free stuff they send me", and never bow the knee to the reality that "if im TOO honest, Abyss and Audeze and Hifiman, and all the others, will cut off my supply of free toys that i review to make MONEY">

This is why i dont have a Youtube review channel, and i only have a Youtube Music Channel that does not accept money for "likes" or "hits'.

You do have to admire these youtube reviewers who seem to be building a "Like this Video" empire, without having to actually pay for the gear.
Z Reviews is the King of that Universe, and Josh V orbits in that celestial playground also.

Good for you! I hate it when YouTube reviewers claim to be impartial when, for the reasons you stated, they cannot possibly be. If you're relying on staying in the good graces of manufacturers for the ability to continue demoing and reviewing there is no possible way you can be objective. Whether consciously or unconsciously, the knowledge that being too harsh or negative will cut off their supply of headphones has to effect their reviews. Period.

Also, the fact that many of them are now putting out collaborations with different brands makes it even more of a sham to claim objectivity. As someone who studied ethics in university, I would also say that its ethically controversial if not outright wrong to involve yourself in producing for a market whose other participants you review/criticize under the guise of being objective.

I also cycle through a lot of gear because I don't trust most reviewers, but also because I genuinely enjoy the experience of trying a variety of gear from many different price points. I also like to build unique audio chains to suit my desired listening scenario so that necessarily involves having multiple options for each component of the chain.

Anyways, thanks for the insight and thanks again for your thoughts on the Raals.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back