Received my Triple Fi.10 yesterday
Dec 5, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #16 of 32

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I do have back up rips of the same tracks in 256kbps. I just don't keep them on the portable Mp3 player since they tend to drain battery faster.

What did i just read????!!!!!!!!!1

my head just exploded!

oh my god.....

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=4672

"Note: Songs with a higher bitrate will cause a battery to drain faster. Re-ripping the songs with a lower bitrate is recommended. Suggested bit rates are 64kbps for WMA files and 128 kbps for MP3 files."

Pwned..... creative said it!

Dec 5, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #18 of 32
So I was correct? Murmaider, I hope you can clean up the mess after your head exploded. Sorry about you losing your head while you were misinformed about the facts all this time. Real pro!

Dec 5, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #19 of 32
Aangen, I take it you're the resident self proclaimed hot shot around here.  I'm sure, like myself, you had humble beginnings but seems like your ego and apparently your lifestyle are too elite for a place like head-fi.org...

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #20 of 32
Don't get so righteous. The point was about sound for top flight kit, not battery life for the lowest common denominator. More bits is more work but better sound. Evaluating the ultimate quality of a top tier product on low bit rate material is not that useful. It's your basic quality vs quantity trade off but if you're doing a quality post don't only use a severely compromised source.

Dec 5, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #21 of 32
While it makes sense, the battery saved isn't worth the crappy audio. It kind of defeats the purpose of having some nice buds.

Dec 5, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #23 of 32
Hmmmm, my fuze's battery still lasts me a week with FLAC files

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #24 of 32

Quote:
Aangen, I take it you're the resident self proclaimed hot shot around here.  I'm sure, like myself, you had humble beginnings but seems like your ego and apparently your lifestyle are too elite for a place like head-fi.org...

Cyber, re-read your first post in this thread. You state, like some sort of expert, the four prime points to consider about your new headphones. You aren't at all shy about stating what we all must do to get the very most out of our high end audio toys. Then you finish by bragging that you are going to then listen to 128k rips. The irony.

Extend your most important break-in period to 1000 hours if it pleases you, but 128k bitrate files are missing any quality the headphones might offer. Who is the self-proclaimed expert here? Again, the irony.

It's all good though. I hope you get a new battery for your iHP-140. It's a nice unit. I had one myself and would still be using it had I not given it to a pal with no such device.

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #25 of 32
Ahh americans, always complaining about something.

$95 tf10 + $80 remould + $45 audiologist fees = $220 custom.

or

$95 tf10 + $270 remould from UM and mid driver + $45 audiologist fees = $410 custom.

Also, I drive a ferrari, but only when I go to pick up my groceries.

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #26 of 32
add another $40 for a cable :) I was going to go the custom route when I first got my TF10 but I didn't feel the sound was good enough for my tastes to warrant the cost for making it into a custom.

Dec 6, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #27 of 32
After reevaluating the 128kbps comment I decided to burn in my earphones with a few dozen CDs that I still have left in my collection. I'll stick to 256kbps+ encoded files for my triple Fi.10's. I'll look up some places to purchase a new battery for the iRiver. By the way I Rockboxed it last night as well so tinkering around with that for now....nice to know it unlocks a lot more features for the iRiver 140 and adds many the player is capable of....If the battery issue gets resolved I can once again take it on the road with me.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #28 of 32
Glad you like the TripleFis! I do too, and it was extremely exciting when they arrived yesterday. Quite fantastic for the price!

I would advise against the practice of re-ripping MP3s, period. The result you get from transcoding a 256kbps MP3 into a 128kbps MP3 is going to have a quality less than 128kbps, because when converting a non-lossless file the audio degradation actually compounds. Needless to say, the more times a lossy file is converted, the worse it is going to get irrespective of whatever bit rate you want to encode it to.

Have you thought of acquiring some VBR (variable bit rate) MP3s? I don't know how your iRiver would handle those, but it might save you some battery.

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #29 of 32
To be truthful with you, there has been some revisions to the TF10s that I didn't notice since I rewired my setup. When I was doing a A B comparison of the Null Audio Lune Cables with the wires that came in with the new TF10 (That's with the black packaging) the wire is actually a right angle 3.5mm jack. This is interesting because obviously Logitech has been listening to their customers in the fact that their unreinforced TF10 straight connector became a huge issue and they had to send a lot of replacements out as a result of this. Needless to say, they lost a lot of money on this since a lot of individuals who were complaining were the individual who received the first wave of TF10s from last years logitech/amazon gold box deal of the day event. So the revision to the TF10s is actually a really good one. The poor packaging of the previous version was as useless as the instructions inside of it. With just the black box they kind of won in a short term sense. However, the resale value of the TF10s would depreciate a little. UE probably needs to come out with something new in order to stay up with the audiophile market. Regardless the TF10s are one of my favorite IEMs to listen to.

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #30 of 32
The old cable was a right angle tip, but it was thick, stiff, and held memory.  Then the revised it to a little thinner, lighter, more flexible cable with a straight tip.  Frankly I don't mind the cable.  I'm not really sure why people whine so much about straight vs angle.  I think it becomes somewhat dependent on what the earphone's hooked up to.  In some cases you want a straight cable, some an angled one.

For the treble quantity and quality, it is a bit of an injustice to use such low bitrates for it.  Sometimes you're stuck, say with a streaming site, but if you have CDs, rip 256 or 320 and nothing else.  Once you get to 192 it does start to get hard to distinguish between CD and mp3 on the top end, but it really only gets unnoticeable once you get to 256.  The ability to tell tends to require direct comparison using devices that offer a good enough audio quality to show the differences.  Some earphones are actually pretty good about hiding imperfections. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back