Recommendations please: wired headphones for in the office (not too big)
Apr 9, 2024 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sinbarambam

New Head-Fier
I sometimes work in a coworking space and currently use my Sony earbuds. They're fine but I'd like somehting better.

I have a small (tiny!) iFI go Blu and have been taking my Sennheiser HD800s. Of course this sounds great but I look like a dork, plus they're a pain to carry because they're fragile and need a case and take up way too much room in my bag.

So....Looking for wried headphones (not noise cancelling), that are on the smaller side (and ideally can be folded but that's not a must), ideally for under $500-$600.

Thanks for any suggestions!

<edited to add: have tried IEMs but they don't work for me>

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #3 of 21
Agree that IEM's sounds to be the best solution. But other than that, I think most of Dan Clark's headphones can be folded to take up less space when being transported.
Otherwise, you should look into something like Koss, they have excellent sound for the money, and takes up a lot less space than regular headphones.

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 21
I’m going to suggest the polar opposite of the HD-800 in the Meze 99 Classics. Super easy to drive and definitely better than Sony earbuds. They have a nice bass response and the highs are just rolled off a bit. I find them very comfortable and if in the states and can buy from Drop the Noirs are $199 and comes with a carry case. They are very stylish also.

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 21
I sometimes work in a coworking space and currently use my Sony earbuds. They're fine but I'd like somehting better.

I have a small (tiny!) iFI go Blu and have been taking my Sennheiser HD800s. Of course this sounds great but I look like a dork, plus they're a pain to carry because they're fragile and need a case and take up way too much room in my bag.

So....Looking for wried headphones (not noise cancelling), that are on the smaller side (and ideally can be folded but that's not a must), ideally for under $500-$600.

Meze 99 Classics are a... classic. Looks great. Sounds great. Not as neutral as the HD800, but fun and lively. Also, easily driven by any mobile device.

Apr 9, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 21
Hello sinbarambam (and everyone here!)
If you allow me my two cents, I have tried both the above recommendations, Meze Classics and AKG 371.
This is my experience: I would say Meze has the most fun and melodic sound, but they are a little bassy. A little.
This is their tuning, but maybe you like that, some people like bassy phones.
AKG on the other hand is more balanced tuned, but I would say more "neutral", not cold, but not so fun as the Mezes.
If you like a more clean, typical, and balanced sound, this is more to your liking.
A thing that troubled me with the AKGs is that they don't match well with every amplifier or dac/dap.
They play decently with everything but to play really well, you have to find something that matches.
Maybe it is something with its impedance, or it is more revealing, I don't know.
Meze on the other hand is plug and play with nearly everything.
Another thing is the size.
AKG wins here, you can roll the caps and fold it, and even when it's open, it is small and easy to go around.
Meze is definitely a little bigger, it has a very nice bag to carry around, but the size is bigger, you can't hide it.
So, if you go only for the size, you want the AKG.
If you go for sound, I would go for the Meze.
I hope I didn't troubled you more he he..
Wish you to find your golden middle!
Cheers mate!

Apr 9, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 21
Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #11 of 21

<edited to add: have tried IEMs but they don't work for me>
Open or used back? The Sennheiser 660v2 make a lot of sense. For open back you can go for the Hifiman Arya or XS. Sivga make some super compact headphones also with good sound.

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 21
Thanks @HiFiWar...I'd never heard of the Shivga's. They certainly look the part. But none of them seem particularly small. Is there a specific model you had in mind?

I'm drawn to the ETA Ada. I like the idea of supporting a smaller startup.
Still not as small as I'd like but at least they fold.

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #13 of 21
Thanks @HiFiWar...I'd never heard of the Shivga's. They certainly look the part. But none of them seem particularly small. Is there a specific model you had in mind?

I'm drawn to the ETA Ada. I like the idea of supporting a smaller startup.
Still not as small as I'd like but at least they fold.
Sivga sv021 and Oriole are pretty small. Sendy Aiva are tiny too. You can go ETA, just keep in mind that most models are one ear until their new one comes out

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #14 of 21
I think you might like the Beyerdynamic DT 1350 headphones. They're on-ear and more compact than over-ear ones, which could be handy for carrying around. Plus, they have a reputation for good sound and durability.
If you're open to over-ear headphones, the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x could be a good pick. They're popular for their sound and comfort, and they can fold up for easier transport.
The Sennheiser HD 25 is another option to consider. They're on-ear and lightweight, with solid sound quality. They're often used by DJs, which suggests they're pretty reliable for professional use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back