Rega Planet 2000 Arrived... It has Sorbothane? Jude!?
Aug 28, 2001 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

evilcthul

100+ Head-Fier
I got my Planet 2000 today but unfortunately I won't be able to write a review yet. My MG Head DT is still being shipped and it probably won't be here for another week. I haven't gotten a chance to use the Planet yet but I'll tell you what I think in the coming week or two.

What was really interesting is I think this player has Sorbothane feet already equipped. It has your standard disc shaped aluminium feet but on the Rega it has a disc then sorbothane then another disc. I've never touched Sorbothane before but the stuff between the feet is black coloured and feels like silicone. It's rigid like rubber but soft like silicone?

Is this stuff sorbothane? I'm prety sure it must be...

Aug 28, 2001 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 4
Sorbothane is pretty sticky. In fact, Audioquest includes round, thin plastic pieces to place underneath the Sorbothane feet so that they don't rip the finish off some delicate surfaces.

And it's very squishy too, although you can get it with a variety of durometer ratings. Rega could very well put Sorbothane in the feet, though -- I'm not sure, and didn't pay particular attention to the feet when I was auditioning it.

Congrats on the new player!

Aug 29, 2001 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 4
evilcthul,

I'll quote the Sam Tellig article in the April 2001 issue:

"Rega uses viscous-damped feet to isolate the player and minimize footfall shock. I can create some footfall-more like an earthquake. I could'nt get the Planet to skip by clomping around my listening room...but I didn't try dancing."

I think you will derive many hours of pleasurable listening with this CDP. I know I have with mine!!

Rick
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2001 at 9:23 AM Post #4 of 4
P.S

This is Sorbothane's own description of their product:

"Sorbothane, Inc. is the manufacturer of Sorbothane®, a viscoelastic material widely recognized
for its excellent vibration and shock absorption characteristics. The material exhibits
high damping properties over a broad temperature and frequency range.
Sorbothane's unique properties make it ideal for applications that
require both shock absorption and vibration isolation. It
is clearly the material of choice for today's
demanding engineering
specifications."

Hmmmm, sounds like the Planet 2000 uses Sorbothane....which is good for mankind.

Rick,
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back