rega planet 2000
May 20, 2003 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

screwdriver

Headphoneus Supremus
i have use the search function and did not get much info.

i want to ask people here how the rega planet 2000 cd player compares to the cd players you have owned ?

wonder how it stacks up against the nad541I ,MMF cd25 ,phillips 963, etc?

i am trying to get one used in 9/10 condition at $450.

May 20, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 51
From everything I have read and seen, the MF CD25 is a way better unit for way less money. Once you get it you can always have it upgraded in various ways, and in the end still spend under $1K TOTAL. I would say get a used or new CD25, upgrade it if necessary to keep up with the rest of the omponents.

This is, of course, IMHO, since I have never heard either CDP. Just read a lot of info and reviews. There's at least one person here who got the MF CD23 and sold off his Planet as it didn't sound as good.

May 20, 2003 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 51
I really liked my Rega. It broke, though (not a quality control issue, though). It was a pre-2K model, though.

I would think that, at that price, you can get it, try it, and sell it if you don't like it (on Audiogon), and get your money back. That's a steal. I think it really matches rock'n'roll and electronica well, although is not necessarily the last word in detail.

May 20, 2003 at 5:45 AM Post #4 of 51
Good point with the resale idea Peter. He can buy it, try it, and then sell it later if he wants to try out the CD23. At that cheap of a price he could even make a few bucks if he played his cards right.

May 20, 2003 at 7:00 AM Post #5 of 51
That is a total steal for a Planet 2k. Should be an easy resell as well should you not like it.

Incidentally I happen to be auditioning one myself right now as part of a source swap audition with pigmode. I'm really glad I decided to retry a Rega...this time around I'm hearing much better what Rega is all about. I find myself digging it much more this time around.

May 20, 2003 at 8:12 AM Post #6 of 51
SIE,
The use of terms such as "way better" does not seem apropos when discussing components within the overall context of the subjectivity involved with audio taste--especially if you do not have first hand experience with both of the units in question.

My experience with the Rega is that while it does have many virtues, it seemed lacking in the reproduction of fine detail. But then again, I did not wring it out fully, in terms of PC and IC experimentation. The Rega is a major player within it's price range, and is certainly worth lookig into by those seeking a smmoth Brit sound.

May 20, 2003 at 8:16 AM Post #7 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
SIE,
The use of terms such as "way better" does not seem apropos when discussing components within the overall context of the subjectivity involved with audio taste--especially if you do not have first hand experience with both of the units in question.

My bad. I tried to clarify my remarks with their sources, but I guess it doesn't matter. All-in-all, first hand experience is the best, but even then that is too subjective. Without auditioning components it is impossible to tell what "you" will like in your system. Synergy plays a big role and, at times, can take a normaly bad unit and make it sound better.

Sorry!
wink.gif

May 20, 2003 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 51
No problem, SIE. Your posts are usually very well informed and I enjoy reading them.

Quote:

Without auditioning components it is impossible to tell what "you" will like in your system. Synergy plays a big role and, at times, can take a normaly bad unit and make it sound better.

I would take that a step further and say you cannot know a component until you actually get it into your own system for an appropriate audition.

BTW, I have an FMJ 23 in my system for a month or so, and will be posting a few comments of it and my Phillips 963 in a couple of weeks.

May 20, 2003 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
BTW, I have an FMJ 23 in my system for a month or so, and will be posting a few comments of it and my Phillips 963 in a couple of weeks.

After owning one I am interested in hearing how it matches up to the much cheaper Philips unit.
wink.gif

May 20, 2003 at 6:00 PM Post #11 of 51
screwdriver, if you pass on it, let me know where to find it.

Its definitely one of the CDPs I've been considering, but both units I was looking at were both sold quite quickly.

I agree that resale value is steady, and that yes, you should audition it in your system. Please do post your impressions, because I too would love to know more

May 20, 2003 at 10:26 PM Post #12 of 51
I have several digital sources that I use for specific applications. However, I always return to the Planet 2000 for redbook.

I can't wait for the next incarnation of the Rega.

I'll be one of the first in line. The Planet boogies...plain and simple!

(I apologize if I'm being too technical in my evaluation)

evil_smiley.gif

May 20, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #13 of 51
Rick, any particular reason why you haven't jumped to a Jupiter yet? I've always been curious about that.

May 20, 2003 at 10:38 PM Post #14 of 51
From what I've read Vert, there's not that big of a jump in performance vs price with the Jupiter. (Sam Tellig once stated that they sound mucho similar).

I would love to audition a Jupiter in my system for a while and then decide... no question I'd definitely purchase one if it substantially outperformed the Planet.

tongue.gif

May 21, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #15 of 51
I love the Planet, a truely awesome source, it's a love it or hate it player, it happened to move me. I think its best trait is that it just swings, makes music very enjoyable to listen to. It has a pretty sound, beautiful you could also call it, soft touch without the nasties of digital like hard/edgyness. Utterly breath taking midrange, I mean wow, it is so balanced, like never thin, never bloated, just realistic. 3D? You betcha, it has great layering sound. Anyway, I don't want to write a review as I never owned one, just auditioned for a long ass time...

I tried to tell Vert that the Planet is the shiznit, but his previous try was a failure, I'm glad he's opened his ears again.

If I wasn't so taken with the Cary CD-303/300, the Rega would easily be my next choice, that's a huge compliment considering the price difference. I mean, it's a budget player that I consider a giant killer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back