Replacing my Neuros DAP
Dec 20, 2009 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Lou Erickson

100+ Head-Fier
I bought a Neuros Audio Computer with a giant 40G hard drive (both physically and storage-wise) in 2003. They had just announced there would be Ogg support for it, and I bought one.

I've been using one (upgraded to USB2, replaced hard drives, screens, warranty and out of warranty repaired a couple of times) since.

It is, however, finally dying. Battery life is down to less than an hour(!) and it's crashing randomly. It's time to find a replacement.

My collection is Ogg, and I'm moving to FLAC. I can transcode if I have to, but portable FLAC would be fabulous. With Flac, my collection is an estimated 200G, and I'd like to carry it all.

What are suggestions for players that can handle this kind of size?

The other hitch, of course, is that my car has no aux port. Never needed it with the Neuros - it has a built in FM transmitter that doesn't suck. There are ways around this, but they're pricey for my car with it's integrated stereo. (This is only the second thing about the RX8 that does not make me happy, the first being the mileage.) There is an ipod solution for the rx8, but... ipod isn't my favorite idea. I do not want itunes.

Suggestions? Ideas?

(I did realize I might be able to install a Squeezebox Duet in the car... solves the car neatly, but hardly portable.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back